Corsair Community

P4P800 Deluxe and SPD

GuyM

hello i own the motherboard P4P800 deluxe i recently bought new corsair memory twinx512 3200LL (2*256MB twin memory moduls for dual channel) the settings in the bios (rev 1015 == latest i saw) are all for auto (or normal - no overclocking) and for memoey voltages = auto and timing = read from SPD i used the CPUZ program to read the memory SPD and it the CAS# is 2 !! as is also specified by the manufacturer (corsair) but from some reason it the CPUZ program also when i look and what the memory actual settings shows that the bios configured the memory for CAS#=2.5 !! even though i configured it to configure memory according to SPD what is wrong??? why is it?? do i must set the timings manually?? also i saw corsair recommands setting the DDR voltage for 2.75 volts. i am a bit afraid to do so is it realy safe changing the voltage manually to this value , and is it realy better?? wouldn't it cause the temp. to get higher and to more problems?? please be as clear as possible if you can specifiy exactely what settings should i do in the bios for all the configuration regarding the memory timings , voltages and frequencies and if i can leave it on auto or should i set it to manually?? another thing , i also sent similar email to Asus regarding this issue and they replied the the motherboard reads the SPD as it is on the memory and it , and according to them the "cpuz" program may read wrong . but if this is true it means that the SPD on my Twinx 3200LL is not as corsair claims it is !! what should i do where is the problem and how can i make sure?? the modules are marked as Twinx3200LL how can i verify it for sure and verify for sure the SPD settings? and how can i fix the problem?? (it is possible the modules are defective or they are not LL realy??) B.T.W i ran memtest for all combinations (with manual and also auto settings) so far i got NO errors in none of the settings but still i want to understand why cant i set my motherboard to work with SPD and that it will work as it should please help thanks

I just purchased TWINX1024-3200LLPRO for my P4P800 Deluxe. I installed them and could not boot into Windows. I kept getting a lsass.exe error message saying revision number is not what was expected. Baffled, I tried safe mode and even recovery console, but I could not get into any of them. I have 4 Seagate Barracuda 120GB IDE hd's in a RAID 0+1 config so when I boot Windows setup disk I must use the floppy with the raid drivers. I kept getting various blue screen errors whenever the system would go to look at the hard drives after reading the drivers. Removal of the Corsair memory and back to my old Kingston HyperX memory allowed me to continue though while the Corsair memory was in it corrupted my registry so I had no choice but to reinstall Windows. I tried leaving all the memory settings to auto and standard and I tried playing with the numbers a bit but nothing seemed to help. I have the 1015 bios as well. Im a bit disappointed considering I paid 350 bucks for this memory and now I have to return it.

• Corsair Employee
GuyM, I would set the timings manually to the tested settings for the modules you have. Cass 2-3-2-6 for XMS3200LL and I would set the dim voltage to 2.75 Volts as well. If you do run [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] please disable USB Legacy support as well. But this is a bios issue and normal for many of the MB's using this chipset, setting the timings manually will solve that issue. adamb2k4 As Above I would suggest that you set the timings manually to the tested settings (Cass 2-3-3-6) and the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and test your modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and please disable USB legacy support when running this program. Let's make sure one is not failing.

Thanks For the reply i tested the memory using memtest (even with the legacy USB on) i got NO errors on and everythings seems ok for all settings manual or auto are you sure i still should set the voltage to 2.75 even if memtest passed when the voltage is on auto?? can you tell me of another program that can read the current setting of the memries timings and one that can read the SPD other from the CPUZ program i am still a bit worried about the fact that when configuring in bios to use SPD it seems to set the timings to CAS #2.5 and not 2. you say it is a bios issue but if so it should have been for all the people who use those memory modules (3200LL) and this motherboard and bios but i did not see anyone mentioning this issue please help thanks B.T.W -- Asus still claims that their bios is fine and it reads what is written in the memory SPD how can i make sure the moduls and SPD it realy what it supposed to be? [quote name='RAM GUY']GuyM, I would set the timings manually to the tested settings for the modules you have. Cass 2-3-2-6 for XMS3200LL and I would set the dim voltage to 2.75 Volts as well. If you do run [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] please disable USB Legacy support as well. But this is a bios issue and normal for many of the Nb using this chipset, setting the timings manually will solve that issue. adamb2k4 As Above I would suggest that you set the timings manually to the tested settings ( Cass 2-3-3-6) and the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and test your modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and please disable USB legacy support when running this program. Let's make sure one is not fialing.[/QUOTE]

here are the aida32 results: as i understand -- spd reports max cas = 2 , while the memory is configured to cas#=2.5 even though i configured the bios to use spd why is that ?? if this is a bios issue than all anothers who use this motherboard should have the same problem but i do not see anyone else asking about such a thing please help --------[ Motherboard ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Motherboard Properties: Motherboard ID 63-1502-000094-00101111-012804-I865PE$P4P81094 Motherboard Name Asus P4P800 Front Side Bus Properties: Bus Type Intel NetBurst Bus Width 64-bit Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR) Effective Clock 800 MHz Bandwidth 6400 MB/s Memory Bus Properties: Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM Bus Width 64-bit Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR) Effective Clock 400 MHz Bandwidth 6400 MB/s Chipset Bus Properties: Bus Type Intel Hub Interface Bus Width 8-bit Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR) Effective Clock 267 MHz Bandwidth 267 MB/s Motherboard Physical Info: CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Expansion Slots 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi RAM Slots 4 DIMM Integrated Devices Audio, Gigabit LAN Form Factor ATX Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm Motherboard Chipset i865PE Extra Features Asus Intelligence, JumperFree, Stepless Freq Selection Motherboard Manufacturer: Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Product Information [url]http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm[/url] BIOS Download [url]http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx[/url] --------[ Memory ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Physical Memory: Total 510 MB Used 276 MB Free 233 MB Utilization 54 % Swap Space: Total 1249 MB Used 243 MB Free 1006 MB Utilization 19 % Virtual Memory: Total 1760 MB Used 520 MB Free 1240 MB Utilization 30 % --------[ SPD ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ Corsair CMX256A-3200LL ] Memory Module Properties: Module Name Corsair CMX256A-3200LL Serial Number None Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks) Module Type Unbuffered Memory Type DDR SDRAM Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz) Module Width 64 bit Module Voltage SSTL 2.5 Error Detection Method None Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz) Memory Module Features: Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported Auto-Precharge Not Supported Precharge All Not Supported Write1/Read Burst Not Supported Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Differential Clock Input Supported Redundant Row Address Not Supported Memory Module Manufacturer: Company Name Corsair Memory, Inc. Product Information [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products.htm[/url] [ Corsair CMX256A-3200LL ] Memory Module Properties: Module Name Corsair CMX256A-3200LL Serial Number None Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks) Module Type Unbuffered Memory Type DDR SDRAM Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz) Module Width 64 bit Module Voltage SSTL 2.5 Error Detection Method None Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz) Memory Module Features: Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported Auto-Precharge Not Supported Precharge All Not Supported Write1/Read Burst Not Supported Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported Differential Clock Input Supported Redundant Row Address Not Supported Memory Module Manufacturer: Company Name Corsair Memory, Inc. Product Information [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products.htm[/url] --------[ Chipset ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chipset Properties: Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE In-Order Queue Depth 12 CAS Latency 2.5T RAS To CAS Delay 3T RAS Precharge 2T RAS Active Time 6T PAT Disabled AC'97 Audio Controller: Audio Controller Type Intel 82801EB(M) ICH5 Codec Name Analog Devices AD1985 Codec ID 41445375h Memory Slots: DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM) AGP Properties: AGP Version 3.00 AGP Status Enabled AGP Aperture Size 128 MB Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x Current AGP Speed 8x Fast-Write Supported, Enabled Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled Chipset Manufacturer: Company Name Intel Corporation Product Information [url]http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm[/url] Driver Download [url]http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm[/url] --------[ BIOS ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BIOS Properties: BIOS Type AMI System BIOS Date 01/28/04 Video BIOS Date 03/10/23 BIOS Manufacturer: Company Name American Megatrends Inc. Product Information [url]http://www.ami.com/amibios[/url] ===============

• Corsair Employee
According to your report, (Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)) The SPD is set to Cass 2.0. And in fact the other timings are set correctly just the Cass latency is being set to Cass 2.5, by your MB's bios. Sorry, but ASUS is not correct on this one! They know how to call me if they have a question.

Hi, thanks for the answer i am still a bit confused regarding how come i am (thats what it seems) the only one with this problem with this motherboard bios and memory because if it is a bios issue it should have been for all users another thing: please i would be happy if if give me your final reccomandations regardind the settings for the memory in the bios clocks - manual or auto and what timings voltage - manual or auto and what voltage (or voltage auto and memory manual and so one -- which combination do you reccomand) in memtest it seems that all combinations passed OK!! thanks [quote name='RAM GUY']According to your report, (Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (5.0 ns @ 200 MHz)) The SPD is set to Cass 2.0. And in fact the other timings are set correctly just the Cass latency is being set to Cass 2.5, by your MB's bios. Sorry, but ASUS is not correct on this one! They know how to call me if they have a question.[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employee
No you’re not the only one! Just set the timings manually and all will be fine! AI Overclocking: Manual/Disabled Dim Reference Voltage: 2.75 Volts DRAM Clock: 200 MHz (400DDR) DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2

:mad: i have the EXACT same problem, apart from i have 1024 instead of 512mb. my bios 1015 sets the spd to 2.5 cass latency. when i set all the settings manually to the 2 3 2 6 it doesnt boot. when i put the voltage up to 2.75v then my system boots but dosent recognise the promise raid controller, on which i have a raid 0 setup. im completely stuck. should i up the voltage further? i just dont know what to do. please help me because the only way i can get it to boot is to use 2.5 2 2 6 settings. i have tried each of the dimms seperatly and its ok, and when i use both in single channel its ok, its when i use dual that it dosent want to play ball. :evil: :evil: :evil: HELP!

• Corsair Employee
The Dim voltage and power for the promise controller are not related, I would suggest testing the memory on another system to make sure one is not shorted. However, that would suggest a bios issue or power problem to me. What PSU do you have?

Thanks a lot for the answer but i am a bit puzzled regarding the bios settings: a) i did not see anything like "bank interleave" where or what is it (is there another name for it?? b) in the bios i have settings for RAS precharge can be between 2 - 4 and DRAM precharge can be between 5 -8 it does not compatible with the names (or values) you mentioned can you help me with the settings using my bios names?? thanks

• Corsair Employee
Please use the settings I gave you before as a reference, any setting that is not listed just use bios default or Auto: AI Overclocking: Manual/Disabled Dim Reference Voltage: 2.75 Volts DRAM Clock: 200 MHz (400DDR) DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 (Not listed with all MB's) SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2

[quote name='RAM GUY']The Dim voltage and power for the promise controller are not related, I would suggest testing the memory on another system to make sure one is not shorted. However, that would suggest a bios issue or power problem to me. What PSU do you have?[/QUOTE] i have a fortron aurora 350w silent psu and im running: 1 asus dvdr asus p4c800 e p4 3.2 2 3200llpt 1 floppy 2 western digital raptors sb 4.1 sound card 3 case fans radeon 9700 is there prehaps too much there for the psu? the voltage monitor shows every things stable.. :confused:

in my bios i have: DRAM RAS precharge (options 2 to 4 clocks) DRAM precharge delay (5 to 8 clocks) i DO NOT have "SDRAM Row Precharge " and "SDRAM Bank cycle time " and laso i do not have "SDRAM Bank Interleave" does "SDRAM Row Precharge " == what in my bios is "DRAM RAS precharge " and "SDRAM Bank cycle time " == what in my bios is "DRAM precharge delay " ??? please help [quote name='RAM GUY']Please use the settings I gave you before as a reference, any setting that is not listed just use bios default or Auto: AI Overclocking: Manual/Disabled Dim Reference Voltage: 2.75 Volts DRAM Clock: 200 MHz (400DDR) DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 (Not listed with all MB's) SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employee
cloak, It would be very possible that you do not have enough power supply. I would test the moduels on another system if at all possible. GuyM Please match the settings by: SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T (tRCD): 3T (tRP): 2T (tRAS): 6T

I have 2x 512mb 3500 Corsair sticks in my box. ASUS P4P800Deluxe. Seems there may be some terminology getting in the way here :roll: ... lemme see if this helps :D: Voltage 2.75 DRAM CAS# Latency 2 DRAM RAS# Precharge 2 DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 3 DRAM Precharge Delay 6 DRAM Burst Length 8 My system runs fine with the settings above without any issues at all. But then again, I'm not overclocked (yet) Hope this helps you out.

Archived