Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 03:26 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 1036318
Corsair James Reputation: 75
Default iCUE ARGB and Third Party DRAM Lighting Support

Hi everyone,

I am noticing a number of posts asking about ARGB support on ASUS motherboards. The current implementation is strictly to support the lighting on a compatible ASUS motherboard only, and by extension, the RGB header since it is treated as a single zone. The design and intent was always to include the motherboard into our ecosystem with other Corsair products so we can address the demand of everything in the system lighting simultaneously in the same color. I am happy to see the overall positive feedback from this feature, and we are continuing our work to see how we can extend this feature to other products.

However, there will be certain limitations to what we will do. First, we have no plans to support ARGB headers. While many third party products are compatible with ARGB, we first and foremost are in the interest of only allowing iCUE to control Corsair products. ARGB also brings another layer of complexity to iCUE as we would have to take into consideration how to display the sheer number of LED configurations possible into our UI, and this is something we have no plans to accomodate at this time.

Second, I see some of you are asking about support for non-Corsair DRAM. This is also something we have no plans to do. We are always open to new partnerships though and if these businesses would like to approach us about implementing their products into iCUE, we would definitely explore possibilities. But unless they do so of their own initiative, we don't plan on having an open ecosystem. As this is a partnership with ASUS, users who want to maintain their lighting with Aura Sync compatible products should continue to use Aura Sync or Armoury Crate. iCUE is not meant to be a replacement software for them and we want to respect their ecosystem just like they respect ours.

I hope this addresses some of the concerns and questions I am seeing in this forum.

Thanks,
James

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue
Old 03-03-2020, 08:23 AM

POST ID # = 1036653
Ssxgaming Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Hi everyone,

I am noticing a number of posts asking about ARGB support on ASUS motherboards. The current implementation is strictly to support the lighting on a compatible ASUS motherboard only, and by extension, the RGB header since it is treated as a single zone. The design and intent was always to include the motherboard into our ecosystem with other Corsair products so we can address the demand of everything in the system lighting simultaneously in the same color. I am happy to see the overall positive feedback from this feature, and we are continuing our work to see how we can extend this feature to other products.

However, there will be certain limitations to what we will do. First, we have no plans to support ARGB headers. While many third party products are compatible with ARGB, we first and foremost are in the interest of only allowing iCUE to control Corsair products. ARGB also brings another layer of complexity to iCUE as we would have to take into consideration how to display the sheer number of LED configurations possible into our UI, and this is something we have no plans to accomodate at this time.

Second, I see some of you are asking about support for non-Corsair DRAM. This is also something we have no plans to do. We are always open to new partnerships though and if these businesses would like to approach us about implementing their products into iCUE, we would definitely explore possibilities. But unless they do so of their own initiative, we don't plan on having an open ecosystem. As this is a partnership with ASUS, users who want to maintain their lighting with Aura Sync compatible products should continue to use Aura Sync or Armoury Crate. iCUE is not meant to be a replacement software for them and we want to respect their ecosystem just like they respect ours.

I hope this addresses some of the concerns and questions I am seeing in this forum.

Thanks,
James

No argb is a useless integration
Horrified to read this post
Old 03-05-2020, 11:18 PM
kcolbe's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036981
kcolbe Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssxgaming View Post
No argb is a useless integration
Horrified to read this post
+1 zillion other users I'm sure, at least +1 for me. I JUST built a system thinking this would be a useful "integration" finally but newp! lol

Asus software already allows you to define everything you need to know such as the number of added argb "strips" and the number of LEDs for each. Two parameters to figure out the zones and the size of the zones?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:41 PM

POST ID # = 1036982
jtb33 Reputation: 10

There is no technical reason for this decision by Corsair, it's purely a business decision. They even acknowledge that - for the most part - in their reply. They try to blunt it a bit by throwing out some technical complications, but that's nonsense, really. It's about wanting users to buy all Corsair for their RGB builds.

Could they license iCue out to others? Sure, but other businesses have the same motivation to keep you in their ecosystems and using their software, so all this is unlikely.

What I AM surprised about is that some enterprising individual or business hasn't come along and written their own application to allow all these to work together harmoniously and built a truly usable interface. I've seen some out there that work, but the UI leaves much to be desired for the average user.

For the record, I do not blame Corsair for this position at all. I don't like hearing it, but I can 100% understand their perspective and decision around this.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 AM
kcolbe's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1036988
kcolbe Reputation: 10

Well. I DID buy Corsair for everything I could. Mouse, (about to go Corsair keyboard), RAM, QL Series fans with the controller...but here's the underlying problem, the only component that offers additional headers for things like anything (I have a custom cooling loop for example), is the motherboard. Hence the problem, if you're going to integrate with the motherboard then...why just legacy RGB? I spent the money, I am a supporting patron asking for better integration and since this is the integration page, I think that's a fair ask.

I really like Corsair's interface, to me it has the most promise and I commend their efforts. Maybe the answer to my particular problem is to just find adapter cables for my cooling loop components so they can plug into the corsair RGB hub. I will look for this.

Last edited by kcolbe; 03-06-2020 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:20 AM

POST ID # = 1036992

If we talk about business at glance seems reasonable but it’s and old way thinking and strategy. Think as Microsoft, for decades they accepted that milions of users were using their OS cracked and without getting money, but this was not true they were getting market share and dominating position that’s at the end money....
There are many ways to make business, including for example offering Aura integration as a plugin to pay.
They have a strong software but the wrong strategy to make it profitable, they could make something like MS in their much smaller industry.

Last edited by Ssxgaming; 03-06-2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Mussels's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1037099
Mussels Reputation: 10

This is really disapointing - co-ordinate with asus for help if needed on sorting out the lighting situation, right now running both programs is a nightmare since you have no idea which one will take priority and control the lighting

at least figure it out properly before releasing a half assed implementation as 'final'
Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 PM

POST ID # = 1037516

Nice silence...
Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 AM
hearnia_2k's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1037562
hearnia_2k Reputation: 10

For anyone interested standard 5v WS2813 LED strips are working well in my case. Custom cut at my required length, with joins between LEDs where I need them.

The stock corsair LEDs are not dense enough to get nice effects, in my opinion; the LEDs are too far apart.

I have approximately 55 LEDs on the strip I connected on a single lighting channel, and in iCue I have simple told it I have 6 LED strips on there, and I select teh required LEDs for the effects I want, and layer the effects, all works fine from that perspective.

The Corsair fans are nice, I use 4 of them on my other lighting channel of my Commander Pro, I use ML RGB fans in my case; they are some of the nicest fans I've ever had; as they are super quiet, and the RGB works well. I do wish that the LEDs were a little more diffused, though.

Having said that, I can't recommend Corsair products whatsoever, since the iCue dashboard stops updating very frequently, and leaves my H80i V2 cooler stuck at whatever speed it was when the dashboard updates stopped. All temperature controlled lighting also stops updating, too.

It's also important to note that 'not supporting' doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't do something, nor does it mean it won't work; it just means we can't go running to Corsair when it goes wrong.

Last edited by hearnia_2k; 03-12-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:02 PM
JonnyB1989's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039525
JonnyB1989 Reputation: 10

For ARGB i got now a aquacomputer farbwerk 360, wich can suport third party divices like my case, they have a adapter for it.
Corsair is only about only thier products......
Old 04-08-2020, 05:37 PM
sygnus21's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1040557
sygnus21 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
In other words we only plan on a closed ecosystem where you'll need to buy into the Corsair only products for the full aRGB experience. That we've only allowed Asus compatibility seeing they are the largest motherboard vendor out there. Everyone else, so sad too bad, you want the full Corsair aRGB experience you'll have to spend hundreds on our closed loop system and still have that mismatched non Asus aRGB motherboard. Sorry.

This is why we need competition in the market. If it wasn't for AMD, we'd still be getting gouged by Intel's expensive 6 & 8-core processors.

Nothing wrong with making money, but when you cross the edge of greed, you run customers off. And yes, I've Corsair products, including an aRGB fan/lighting system to include the Commander Pro; but this attitude will have me rethinking my lighting needs.

I'm sure this post will get deleted but you can't delete the sentiments out there.

My two cents.

Last edited by sygnus21; 04-08-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:46 AM
Sacco Belmonte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1041252
Sacco Belmonte Reputation: 10

I sure hope a lot of vendors join iCUE some way or another. Driving my TridentZ RGB RAM would be a gods send. Right now its software is almost abandonware, works ok, but is sooo limited.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:04 AM
jesseinsf's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1043276
jesseinsf Reputation: 10

Well, if Corsair is not going to support ARGB then please for the love of God, stop having the iCue software interfere with ARGB products on my ASUS motherboard and my previous Asus RTX 2070 graphics card that was also Aura(See my Specs). My AIO is ARGB and it freezes every time iCue starts. And what the heck is disconnecting everytime iCue starts? I have reformated 3 times already and the same thing happens. To fix the ARGB issue I have to disable plugins within the iCue software (this defeats the Aura integration). My AIO is from CoolerMaster.

Also, if Corsair isn't going to support ARGB then bring back the Corsair plugin for Asus Aura. I'd rather control the Vengeance Memory with Aura than to have issues the other way around.

Last edited by jesseinsf; 04-27-2020 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 PM
Alienado's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1044017
Alienado Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseinsf View Post
Well, if Corsair is not going to support ARGB then please for the love of God, stop having the iCue software interfere with ARGB products on my ASUS motherboard and my previous Asus RTX 2070 graphics card that was also Aura(See my Specs). My AIO is ARGB and it freezes every time iCue starts. And what the heck is disconnecting everytime iCue starts? I have reformated 3 times already and the same thing happens. To fix the ARGB issue I have to disable plugins within the iCue software (this defeats the Aura integration). My AIO is from CoolerMaster.

Also, if Corsair isn't going to support ARGB then bring back the Corsair plugin for Asus Aura. I'd rather control the Vengeance Memory with Aura than to have issues the other way around.
See, when the Corsair Plugin to control Asus Motherboards is active, it takes control over Aura. By doing this, iCue pulls to itself the Motherboard LEDS and the standard 12v RGB headers, but shuts down the ADD_LED (Addressable 5v RGB) ones - since it can't control them. That's why your AIO freezes, and that's why disable the iCue plugins fix the issue.

Plus, the Aura Plugin to control the Vengeance Pro RGB still exists. Go to the "Corsair iCue" category at https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/downloads and download it. Hope it helps!