Corsair Community

Corsair RM850i - usb disconnect/connect while using Corsair Link

Alyjen

Hi,

I just got this PSU, love it so far and my old HX650 is going to retire in my kids computer.

One thing I don't get is this Corsair Link (or iCUE I should now use, as I read here) app. I used provided USB cable to connect PSU to motherboard internal USB 2.0 header and it works, sort of, as every now and then, but only when I have the app opened, USB disconnected/connected sound is played, and I can see in device manager that USB hub which was installed when I first connect this cable it is dropped/detected over and over again.

Readings from the app are working without any interruptions.

Is this something that switching to iCUE will fix? I don't really need to other things, just to see PSU temperature and real power usage.

if you only need PSU info, just use HWinfo. it is way lighter than iCUE or Link.

Usually the USB disconnect is a problem most often associated with the X570 chipset, solved by using a powered internal USB hub. I don't know if B550 is affected also.

Maybe try HWinfo, see if it fits the bill and if the USB disconnects stop.

I don't believe the software should affect this, so if it persists, you may be good to try connecting your PSU through this :

https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

• Confused 1

• Corsair Employee

Usually the USB disconnect is a problem most often associated with the X570 chipset

Why is that? Did they implement some sort of weird sleep mode on the USB ports?

Wouldn't that be something you could disable in the BIOS? (like disable ErP, etc)?

i have no idea what causes it exactly, it's very recurrent in the iCUE section of the forum.

If it's solved by adding a powered USB hub, maybe it's due to some power handling issue on the USB side? or a sleep mode maybe yes.

I don't own a bord with this chipset to look deeper but that's my asumption.

Usually special energy saving modes like ErP are off by default, so it's really a strange one.

Edit : it happens with Commadner pros, lighting controllers, AIOs etc.. not just PSUs

Edited by LeDoyen

I don't understand the question.

Ok so maybe this way.

I connected my RM850i via USB to motherboard. Installed Corsair Link app. It works, I have all the readings but as soon as start the app I keep hearing USB disconnected followed by USB connected sound.

I suspect it's wrong. If I change Corsair link to iCUE is it going to be any better? Or there's a different issue with this I need to fix?

if you only need PSU info, just use HWinfo. it is way lighter than iCUE or Link.

Usually the USB disconnect is a problem most often associated with the X570 chipset, solved by using a powered internal USB hub. I don't know if B550 is affected also.

Maybe try HWinfo, see if it fits the bill and if the USB disconnects stop.

I don't believe the software should affect this, so if it persists, you may be good to try connecting your PSU through this :

https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

Ok this is working! I have all the same data that Corsair Link gives me without constant USB disconnects! Thanks :)

Edited by Alyjen

so.. the disconnects only happen when using iCUE? not with Link or HWinfo?

For me it was with Link. I'm not going to test iCUE as I don't have a single Corsair device apart from this PSU.

HWiNFO works like a charm, all data, easier to customize, zero issues.

still it's interesting that starting a program causes USB disconnects, yet another one that accesses the same device works without problem.

Maybe i was a bit hasty in calling off AMD on their chipset.. could be it's just that it doesnt cope as well as others with uh.. dodgy programming.

still it's interesting that starting a program causes USB disconnects, yet another one that accesses the same device works without problem.

Maybe i was a bit hasty in calling off AMD on their chipset.. could be it's just that it doesnt cope as well as others with uh.. dodgy programming.

For a while I though it's different monitoring tools getting in conflict but I disabled them all and the result the same. I can run for hours and everything is fine and as soon as I start Corsair Link it'll start dropping this USB device that was added when I connected the PSU. Funny as it is, I still see all PSU sensors without any break. Out of curiosity I'll check later today if iCUE acts the same.

If connecting the cable to internal USB HUB (which I guess may have some added power) fix the issue for most of people then it may be poor quality cable which is running on the brink of stability and the way corsair tools are reaching for data just trips it over the edge.

After all USB is joke of a standard when it comes to details ;)

well it's just two devices talking. i doubt the PSU monitoring circuitry takes power from the USB socket from the motherboard, from the 24 pin cable, from the PSU :)

Seems the joke is on corsair devs this time ^^'

yea whatever it is with iCUE it's even worse ;) lots of USB up & down sounds during install and then constant USB disconnect & connect during operation, only difference is that iCUE actually drops the device (shows readings = 0) while the disconnect happens.

Well, I blame it on some software bug and I'm more than happy to keep using HWiNFO if I need power draw & other psu related details.

Would be supper annoying if I had other Corsair stuff & RGB ;)