Corsair Community

Corsair TwinX (Single Channel >?>)

cyacomini

Hello,

I just built a new system from scratch using Gigabytes G8NXP-9 Mobo and XMS Corsair Matched Memory Pair (2 x 512mb) - CPU is Athlon 64 3200+

Problem is, CPU-z is showing the installed memory as Unregistered Single Channel.

Is there something wrong here ? I thought i bought Dual Channel DDR...

Nothing has been changed in the BIOS yet - Its all at Gigabytes defaults.

Any help please ?

thanks

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

What slots are the memory in? What is the EXACT motherboard model? Can't find a Gigabyte G8NXP-9.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

What slots are the memory in? What is the EXACT motherboard model? Can't find a Gigabyte G8NXP-9.

Wired - Hi !

Sorry, the mobo is Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 NF4

It says in the manual,

Channel A : DDR 1, DDR 3

Channel B : DDR 2, DDR 4

"If Two DDR memory modules are installed, one must be added to a Channel A slot and one to Channel B

Dual Channel memory cannot function if both DDR memory modules are installed on the same channel."

So, I have 512mb in slot 1 and 512mb in slot 2..which i think is right.

Hello,

I just built a new system from scratch using Gigabytes G8NXP-9 Mobo and XMS Corsair Matched Memory Pair (2 x 512mb) - CPU is Athlon 64 3200+

Problem is, CPU-z is showing the installed memory as Unregistered Single Channel.

Is there something wrong here ? I thought i bought Dual Channel DDR...

Nothing has been changed in the BIOS yet - Its all at Gigabytes defaults.

Any help please ?

thanks

Make sure you place each stick in the matching socket,I assume you have four sockets for memory,you just cannot use any two. On Asus boards they are matched like this: A1 B1 A2 B2 So A1 and A2 are one pair and B1 B2 are the other...

bump up the memory voltage to 2.7 volts.

Thanks - I'll need to try and find that first ! doesnt seem to be any memory options in the BIOS.

I just had my twin sticks out to swap sockets, no different. But I did write down the exact specs for clarity.

XMS3200 512mb 400MHZ (CorsairTwin Extreme)

Now, the 400MHZ part made me think to check it in CPU-Z again. Here's the dump so i dont give you wrong info. bottom line, it only appears to be running at 166...

Memory SPD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General

Memory type DDR-SDRAM

Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)

Size 512 MBytes

Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)

Part number CMX512-3200C2

Manufacturing date Week 00/Year 00

Attributes

Number of banks 2

Data width 64 bits

Correction None

Registered no

Buffered no

Timings table

Frequency (MHz) 166 200

CAS# 2.0 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3

RAS# Precharge 3 3

TRAS# 7 8

DIMM #3

General

Memory type DDR-SDRAM

Size 512 MBytes

Attributes

Number of banks 2

Data width 64 bits

Correction None

Registered no

Buffered no

Timings table

Frequency (MHz) 166 200

CAS# 2.0 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3

RAS# Precharge 3 3

TRAS# 7 8

CTRL + F1 will let you get to the advanced settings in the BIOS.

yeah, still no joy though. Only DDR Voltage setting in the BIOS gives options of +0.1v or +0.2v

I seem to be having lots of heart ache with this new MOBO, and there seems to be many people in the same situation. Maybe i should have went for summat else !

Select 0.2v

Ok done - here's a fresh dump from CPU-Z - still showing single channel..volatage has increased but only by a tiny amount.

Memory SPD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General

Memory type DDR-SDRAM

Size 512 MBytes

Attributes

Number of banks 2

Data width 64 bits

Correction None

Registered no

Buffered no

Timings table

Frequency (MHz) 166 200

CAS# 2.0 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3

RAS# Precharge 3 3

TRAS# 7 8

DIMM #3

General

Memory type DDR-SDRAM

Size 512 MBytes

Attributes

Number of banks 2

Data width 64 bits

Correction None

Registered no

Buffered no

Timings table

Frequency (MHz) 166 200

CAS# 2.0 2.5

RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3

RAS# Precharge 3 3

TRAS# 7 8

OK ... I have looked at the manual (can be found here Wired)

Both CPU-Z dumps that you have posted show you using DIMMs 1 and 3. That is incorrect.

For dual operation you should be using 1&2 or 3&4. Now I notice that in the earlier posts (before showing the dumps) you say that you started with 1&2. Can we see a dump showing that you are using 1&2 and also a dump showing 3&4?

Also ... what does the POST show when you are first booting up? Should say something right after doing the RAM test, like "1GB RAM, Dual-Channel 400MHz"

Are you using SPD in the BIOS for the timing settings? If not, do that.

OK ... I have looked at the manual (can be found here Wired)

Both CPU-Z dumps that you have posted show you using DIMMs 1 and 3. That is incorrect.

For dual operation you should be using 1&2 or 3&4. Now I notice that in the earlier posts (before showing the dumps) you say that you started with 1&2. Can we see a dump showing that you are using 1&2 and also a dump showing 3&4?

Also ... what does the POST show when you are first booting up? Should say something right after doing the RAM test, like "1GB RAM, Dual-Channel 400MHz"

Are you using SPD in the BIOS for the timing settings? If not, do that.

Great ! Dual Channel working now... it does say that on the website, but the manual with the MOBO says otherwise. strange..

But (and there's always a but !) the machine doesnt restart properly anymore.. It logs off win2k, shutsdown but never reboots. the case fans stay on and i need to his the reset button. any ideas ?

Great ! Dual Channel working now... it does say that on the website, but the manual with the MOBO says otherwise. strange..

But (and there's always a but !) the machine doesnt restart properly anymore.. It logs off win2k, shutsdown but never reboots. the case fans stay on and i need to his the reset button. any ideas ?

I hate manuals that come with products ... they are usually wrong :sigh!:

No idea about the restart ... is it a big deal just to Shut Down and then hit the power button again to turn back on?

BTW ... are you current with the Windows Updates?

I hate manuals that come with products ... they are usually wrong :sigh!:

No idea about the restart ... is it a big deal just to Shut Down and then hit the power button again to turn back on?

BTW ... are you current with the Windows Updates?

It really is no big deal...just a pain in the padded ***, would be nice to have everything 100% as it should be.

Yeah got all the windows updates, I think there were about 2gb's worth for Win2k ;)

Archived