Corsair Community

Memory specs

chuckz

My mobo supports dual channel. I ordered a 1GB kit, which was advertized for dual channel, but nowhere on the box could I find the info. Looked up the Value Select page: it lists VS1GBKIT400 and VS1GB400C3. What is the difference? No clue. Which one can be used in dual channel? Anyway, what does it mean this C3? Please help :confused:

Welcome to the forums, chuckz!

The VS1GBKIT400 and VS1GBKITC3 are pairs of Value-Select modules.

The "C3" designation means that they are CAS 3 modules. Not having this designation means they are either C2.5 or C3, but historically, they're usually 2.5. If any website lists them as garaunteed by latency, then they're misinformed as none of the VS modules have a set latency specification.

As for dual-channel, only Corsair's XMS TwinX sets are tested in a dual-channel setup and thus there's also no garauntee of the VS modules running in dual channel, but again, historically, most users don't have a problem with it (and Corsair is usually nice enough to RMA modules that won't).

This might help you... What Is Dual-Channel Memory.

PLUR

CK

Thanks very much, CandyKid!

I am definitely going to check all info (later). At this point I just need to sort things out with the online store that sold me the kit (even if I look very ignorant to you :[pouts: ). But is C3 better than the 2.5 one? Since they cost about the same, should I better get the C3 one?

Thanks again

It depends.

If you built your own system, have a custom system, or have what you think of as a non-OEM mainboard, get the VS1GBKIT400.

If you have a Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Gateway, etc, then get the VS1GBKIT400C3 as it'll be more compatible.

Feel free to list your system specs and I'll give you a more definitive answer.

PLUR

CK

I am building my own system:

GA-K8NS Ultra-939 (supports dual channel DDR)

AMD Athlon 64, socket 939, Winchester core, 90 nm

The mobo memory installation chart shows different configs for dual channel DDR. It says the system will not boot if installed not as instructed. As I now understand, dual channel is not memory but the system architecture. It means that any DDR (not too old perhaps) should work in dual channel if installed in pairs.

Thanks very much for your help!

Not every pair of memory will work in a dual-channel setup.

Especially for the new boards, and the 939's are very particular in this, the two memory modules you use must be very closely matched... to the point of being identical in PCB and IC used.

Thus, the VS1GBKIT400 should work, but is not garaunteed to do so.

The TwinX sets are.

That's the difference between matched and non-matched modules.

PLUR

CK

That's a big "maybe" and that's as good an answer as I can give you.

Dual-channel works the most reliably with two matched modules.

If you wanted to run all four, you'd have to get two more matched modules that were almost identical to the originals, but because revisions happen over time, you might not be able to do that. If you wanted to buy them all right now, that'd be your best bet, but also pretty expensive.

You can always try it later, but no garauntees.

PLUR

CK

I put 2 sticks of VS1GB400 in Gygabyte mobo GA-8ns ultra-939 with Athlon 64 3200 Winchester core.

At the boot the screen said "dual channel enabled". Does it mean that the memory will use advantages of the dual channel architecture, or just that it is recognized, and the results can be only seen from the test?

And if what you said about running at 333 MHz is true, should I exchange this kit for a better memory (I am building a new system, and although I am not a gamer, it makes sense to have matched components - well, price matters, but memory should be not too low quality)?

It has nothing to do with the quality of the memory; it is how the memory controller in the CPU works when faced with 4 sticks of DDR400 memory.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

The "dual channel enabled" msg means that the memory is in the correct slots and as such will be used in dual channel capacity.

Thanks

Yes, I understand about the dual channel being defined by the mobo specs. I just am confused which memory I should get to be able to use this feature considering available options while building the system. AMD site has been not very helpful.

Is it only processor? Mobo does not matter? (well, my mobo handles dual channel, but will the speed still be limited with ANY 4 sticks of DDR400)?.

Does this 333MHz limitation concern only 4 sticks, not 2?

In this case, should I choose between memory speed and volume (not being able to use all slots up to 4 GB if I want to keep memory running at high speed)? Soooo confusing...

:confused:

(I am not a gamer - my goal is video editing)

Well, I am not sure at this point - the advantage of having 4 memory slots is that you can always upgrade later if you feel your tasks need more juice. it seems that I have to decide now either to live with 333 MHz (is it much worse than 400 for video editing? - I don't know), or to get 2 larger sticks 1GB each (I bought 512 x 2).

Could you advise? My guess is that memory speed matters more for gamers, and in my case (video editing) larger memory is more important?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Well yes and no, Video editing does not use a lot of memory, in fact you would be better to have fast hard drives and 2 512 Meg faster modules with Video Editing. Gaming is similar but may be different depending on the game and how one wants to play. But unless you are trying to load a lot of maps or have high memory requirements for a specific game less memory that is faster is almost always best.

Thanks, guys

It's been most helpful.

However, just one last - suppose I have this processor which slows down with 4 sticks of memory. So, my best shot would be to use just fast 2 sticks?

If I want 2GB max, I should install 1GBx2?

I bought originally VS kit. Should I go up to TWINX or XMS?

Archived