Corsair Community

H150i Pro questions - power for pump

scallipus

As this is my first water cooled build (and first new system build since 2010) I decided to go all out on the Motherboard and cooling etc etc...

My question is, the pump comes with the sata power connector which fine for most people I guess and I am currently using that, however, my motherboard also supports 4 pin high current power for an AIO cooler pump straight off the motherboard. Is there an adapter cable that will allow me to use this 4 pin connector?

No, it’s not an either/or kind of option. The SATA is the power source. The false 4 pin connector for the motherboard is to report a pump rpm to the BIOS and trigger a cpu boot error if the pump doesn’t start. It is not capable of powering the cooler.

That's wasnt the question... I know the 4 pin 'cpu fan' plug is just a way to report the pumps rpm, the question was regarding the SATA connector, is their an adaptor cable that I can use on the SATA connector to connect to my motherboards high current (36 watt) 4 pin header (not the CPU fan connector)

Just to be clear, my motherbooard is an ASUS z390-E gaming, it comes fitted with an AIO header (standard fan type header) AND a custom loop pump connector (standard 4 pin fan header) the custom loop header supports up to 3A @12v and the AOI header is 1A at 12v (from memory)

Edited by scallipus

My question is, the pump comes with the sata power connector which fine for most people I guess and I am currently using that, however, my motherboard also supports 4 pin high current power for an AIO cooler pump straight off the motherboard. Is there an adapter cable that will allow me to use this 4 pin connector?

That's wasnt the question... I know the 4 pin 'cpu fan' plug is just a way to report the pumps rpm, the question was regarding the SATA connector, is their an adaptor cable that I can use on the SATA connector to connect to my motherboards high current (36 watt) 4 pin header (not the CPU fan connector)

I am not sure any one would get that from the original question, but possibly because I don't know why anyone would want to do this. I am aware the HAMP header is 3A. I am aware the SATA limit is 4.5A on the 12v rail. There are connectors that exist, but I doubt this was the intended purpose. It would normally be used to run a series of fans at maximum 12v direct from the PSU via the SATA. While the current math may work (the cooler won't draw 3A), this seems to create an unnecessary risk on both your motherboard and the cooler. You also risk cutting the power to the cooler entirely anytime you flash the BIOS, etc. I would recommend against this, but it is your gear.