Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator pc8500 1066 max overclocks

What is the max overclock everyone is getting out of these modules. Mine seems to max out at 1,111mhz on my board. Anyone getting anything better.Or have any tips of getting more out these modules?

These are the 2 x 2gig modules that have the psc chips on them. Not sure if they can take more voltage etc. Just open for suggestions at this point.

Good Day

What is the max overclock everyone is getting out of these modules. Mine seems to max out at 1,111mhz on my board. Anyone getting anything better.Or have any tips of getting more out these modules?

These are the 2 x 2gig modules that have the psc chips on them. Not sure if they can take more voltage etc. Just open for suggestions at this point.

Good Day

That's a pretty good overclock with those PSC chips. Higher voltage > 2.1/2/2v doesn't seem to do much. I haven't been able to get that far personally and I have worked with PSC modules from a variety of packagers. I just run mine at 1066MHz with a performance level of 7 and 5-5-5-15. With the higher density IC's there just is not the wiggle room of the lower density IC's.

You can raise the tRFC > 60 and see what you get. Raising the tRC can also give you some more room but the issue really is that there is a performance hit when you raise these settings so it's not all that helpful. You might be able to tighten the performance level or drop the tRFC a bit and see if that gives you greater bandwidth.

My own personal opinion is that there just is not any real overclock that is very worthwhile. So when DDR3 drops in price and latencies at higher speeds, I will then transition to a DDR3 board. At this time, there seems no real benefit on a price/performance ratio.

Hello!

I have the same great ram, Corsair Dominator with airflow CM2X2048-8500C5D (with Asus p5q deluxe), and i have some question:

1) How can check revision of my memory stick?

2) Which is the maximum safe voltage?

3) Which is the maximum safe frequency?

I've tested memory boot and work solid at 1200MHz/2.16v... (because P5Q bios memory divisor don't work good, i set at 1080Mhz but go at 1200MHz).

Thank you very much

Hello!

I have the same great ram, Corsair Dominator with airflow CM2X2048-8500C5D (with Asus p5q deluxe), and i have some question:

1) How can check revision of my memory stick?

2) Which is the maximum safe voltage?

3) Which is the maximum safe frequency?

I've tested memory boot and work solid at 1200MHz/2.16v... (because P5Q bios memory divisor don't work good, i set at 1080Mhz but go at 1200MHz).

Thank you very much

Look at the module and you will see the revision number. That's a great clocking. The best I have heard of for 2GB sticks. You are warranted up to and including 2.1v. Anything past that voids your warranty and they do check the modules for overvoltage characteristics. I overvolt, but if the module fails, then I accept the responsibility. I don't find any difference with PSC voltage greater than 2.2v at any rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much

Mind posting some cpu-z s.s. of the ram and timings? Or a little more info on how you got 1200 out these ics?

What about everest do you have it can you run the "Cache and Memory Benchmark". As for right now mine is at 1066 and i get about 6,737 read and only like 4,700 right. Seems too be a bit off though.

What setting do i need to adjust to get it closer to my read times? Turned on T.B to 3 and got a better score in write but read is way behind.

Good Day

Look at the module and you will see the revision number. That's a great clocking. The best I have heard of for 2GB sticks. You are warranted up to and including 2.1v. Anything past that voids your warranty and they do check the modules for overvoltage characteristics. I overvolt, but if the module fails, then I accept the responsibility. I don't find any difference with PSC voltage greater than 2.2v at any rate.

I have seen some boards over volt on their own as much as .06 (IE actual measured voltage was .06 higher than what was in the bios), there must be a little play in the volting of the modules as far as the warranty goes, because not many of use are putting volt meters and pot's on our boards. They use to show these dimm's as 2.15 IIRC, I doubt they would make a fuss over .05 v

I get these sticks up to 1152 with 2.1v but i think they need more volts to be stable, i'm just not going to do it. I don't understand how they get them stable at 1142 with 2.1v, I can't believe there is that much difference in the IC's they bin for 1142.

I want to get a better clock out of these things so i can run 3.6ghz, my CPU is stable, my ram is flaky.

I want to get a better clock out of these things so i can run 3.6ghz, my CPU is stable, my ram is flaky.

DDR2 is now binned very tightly and as a result there are no high density 2GB modules that will overclock highly. You need to move to DDR3 for this because DDR3 is where the R&D is now. There are no R&D dollars for DDR2 and thus the DDR2 modules (ICs) are not going to be fabbed on new processes. Tie that to high binning to get a modest increase in speed and you find no headroom. Headroom is to be found in the DDR3 modules.

I can't believe there is that much difference in the IC's they bin for 1142.
Are you serious? A few MHz? That much difference? Of course there can be a few MHz difference in binned modules.

How about these clocks for some ddr3 1066 ram..........................

DDR 1066 ram @ 1940Mhz DDR3 7-6-5-20 and only $100 bucks!!!!!!

http://cfs11.blog.daum.net/original/12/blog/2008/02/29/09/06/47c74c6f93e53&filename=9707-6-5-20-1T.jpg

Still no help on my issues at this point?

What setting do i need to adjust to get it closer to my read times? Turned on T.B to 3 and got a better score in write but read is way behind.

If this doesn't get any better i will have to go to another brand. Hard to get help in this forum and that just isn't right anyway you look at it.

Good Day

If this doesn't get any better i will have to go to another brand.

Asking for help and complaining in the same post usually doesn't get great responses. I read your other post in anothers thread where you knocked this site so I really decided to stay away from your posts. Nothing like being called down to feel like helping someone is there?

Post your BIOS settings for CPU and memory. Please post all of them.

Download Everest Trial Version from here -->

Install Everest and right click on the (i) icon in the system tray. Choose Tools --> Cache and Memory Benchmark. Run the Benchmark and post the finished screenshot.

Download CPU-z from

Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

And let me be clear here. This portion of the forum is not supported by Corsair tech staff. They are concerned with the stability of the DRAM at non overclocked settings. You will only find those who help on their own time on this "Enthusiast" section. If you look to the forum heading, you will see this posted.

Yes, i did complain after the remark that this ram works in my board to the we can't give you settings for this board because it is too new. If my board was too new then how do they know the ram worked with it. I mean i bought a product and felt like i'm not getting the full use out of it and ask for help that was it.

That is what really got me bothered. It is fine if you don't want to help because i posted how i felt. It will be okay with me but it isn't right for people that need help to sit and wait for weeks at a time for a response for a well known product either.

Everest:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8360/cachememforcorsairxz8.th.png

Cpu-z

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/453/cpuzforcorsairrx5.th.jpg

As of right now i'm just stunned why there just isn't much headroom for overclocking on these modules at this point. And this guy says he gets 1,200mhz on his and still no screenshot. So i'm guessing he had the micron kits and not the same kit i had.....

Good Day

DDR 1066 ram @ 1940Mhz DDR3 7-6-5-20 and only $100 bucks!!!!!!

If you are looking for the above. I would suggest you turn your DRAM in for some of the above. By the way. Please show me the link where this fellow is getting 1066 to 1940. Not the screenshots but the website.

I've never even seen the Micron 2GB DDR2 make 1200Mhz. I have never seen any DDR2 2GB modules make 1200Mhz. No screenshot says something though. As I said, if you want to find high end overclocking move to DDR3.

Set your Static Read to Enabled in your BIOS. Post Everest again after this.

Did you happen to click the link and look at the picture? It clearly states 970 fsb @ 7-6-5-20. The newegg link states they run 7-7-7-21 and the ram ic's are either "D9GTN" or "SyncMax". But you can go a google on the ram and see others getting super hgh clocks from them

Although most thread are not english but just hit gooogle translate and read.

Since you suggested to buy those ram modules, do you care to buy these off me then? Be glad to sell them to you.

Good Day

Since you suggested to buy those ram modules, do you care to buy these off me then? Be glad to sell them to you.

I already have four sets of them. Purchased and working fine but no higher than 1120Mhz for any of them. I'm fine with that. DDR2 is at the end of the lifecycle and I know that just as you can not find high end DDR (TCCD or BH5 2-2-2-5) anymore, you can not find high end DDR2 anymore and doubly so in the 2GB density modules. The R & D for fabbing is entirely moved to DDR3. I will be moving to DDR3 in the next month and will sell my DRAM. I seem to have no problem selling them on Craigslist. Give them a try.

I have them sitting 4 X 2048 in 1000MHz. Then my other two systems with them running in 2 X 2048. This one at 1066Mhz and another one at 1115Mhz.

ill switch to ddr3 when i7 hits.

untill then i will push this ram and see where it takes me.

With Intel's tick/tock procedure, I will wait for the second iteration of i7 before purchasing. The first one will be fabbed on the last process of Core 2 which should still be 45nm. The second iteration (Tock) Lynnfield will be based on a 32nm process with the release of the 64 lane PCIe Ibexpeak southbridge, and is slated for release before the second quarter of 2009. The Ibexpeak will make use of a Platform Control Hub to challenge AMD's APU platform. Thinking over what you said, I just might wait until then for DDR3. But then I said I was going to wait for Nehalem before buying into Quads due to the non shared relationship between dual cores of the quad. Yet here I am with all quads now. Go figure.... :p:

Interesting times indeed. I wonder if the cache will be lessened with i7's integrated memory controller. I would think so but there's not a lot of information yet.

Archived