Corsair Community

Splitting water feed line.

JonKrmr

I want to get cool water to both my CPU and GPU blocks to get maximum cooling for both instead of running both blocks in series so that the heated water from the CPU block does not pass through the GPU block. I was thinking of using a "Y" to split the incomming water supply and route the two lines from the "Y" to both the GPU and CPU then use another "Y" to bring the two lines back into one for the return line. Would there be any problems with the HC working in this configuration?

I'll be doing this soon!! I can't see any issues with doing this, it may slow down the flow, but not by much. I'll be using two aluminium fuel logs (one inlet, three outlets), but I'd like to use the same coupling's. I'm having a hard time finding the coupling's in Australia, so I may have to use something else.

The flow will actually be cut in half, but then I again I can't see this being any worse then running 2-3 blocks in series. If you're putting out that much power I might recommend a second radiator inline after the two lines are recombined but before HydroCool unit. If you do this with the radiator inside the case make sure the you're getting it's heat out of the case. Just keep an eye on your wattage. 200 is the limit for the HydroCool unit with out an extra radiator. What are you looking to cool anyways?

My setup is an xp 2800+ running at 11.5x200 (2.3 GHZ) and a Radeon 9800 Pro running at 430/392 MHz. I know this setup should be well under 200 watts (i'm figuring about 150 watts give or take) but with running the blocks in series, either the cpu or gpu (depending on water flow) will already be getting preheated water from the previous block in series. Just thought that splitting the water feed line would get around this and give maximum cooling of both blocks. As long as both blocks are low resistance I figure flow drop should be no worse that the blocks in series. One considuration to think about though is making sure both blocks have about the same flow resistance. If one has more flow resistance than the other, water will flow through one more than the other. Also, anyone had any experience using Koolance's GPU-180-L06 gpu block as this is what I am planning to use for the gpu. Marz, use plastic/nylon Y's or T's. You should be able to find them at a plumbing or hardware store.

You should really do a search of the forums as there are numorus threads on using Koolance blocks on different video cards along with temps. I've posted several myself. I'm using the Koolance block in a system pretty much the same as your's. I'm running a little higher OC than you, so I know your temps will be fine.

Keeping mind that Y connectors are something else that can leak. Here is a wattage calc you might look at with your processor: [URL=http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html]http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html[/URL] I'm not sure the splitter is really needed in this setup but maybe you'll be able to get a few extra Mhz out of the gpu.

JonKrmr, The HC should be able to handle the "Y" connections and the flow to both the cold-blocks out of series. The flow resistance would be nearly the same between the CPU cold-block and the GPU cold block. HOWEVER, that isn't the case for the NB/PCI-E cold-block. So, if you're "Y" splitting between the GPU and CPU, you should be fine. Or "Y" splitting the CPU on one line and the GPU + NB/PCI-E on the other. Since the HC can cool up to 200W of heat, the NB/PCI-E may need an air-cooling solution if the CPU and GPU max out the HC's ability. Stev

Jon here is a manifold that will work with HC (hot N cold ports red,blue)all u need is some brass 1/4, 3/8 hose barbs fittings and clamps [url]http://www.abbeon.com/newFiles/alumani.html[/url] model: 6SA- 4-2-2 ports:4 MM:190 long x 38mm INCH:7.5 long x 1.5 Price:$44 usd if u want valves to control flow it be another $48.00usd :D:

[quote name='stev']JonKrmr, The HC should be able to handle the "Y" connections and the flow to both the cold-blocks out of series. The flow resistance would be nearly the same between the CPU cold-block and the GPU cold block. HOWEVER, that isn't the case for the NB/PCI-E cold-block. So, if you're "Y" splitting between the GPU and CPU, you should be fine. Or "Y" splitting the CPU on one line and the GPU + NB/PCI-E on the other. Since the HC can cool up to 200W of heat, the NB/PCI-E may need an air-cooling solution if the CPU and GPU max out the HC's ability. Stev[/QUOTE] I wouldn't do that ... most GPU blocks will be lower in resistance, thus more flow will go through it rather than CPU block. Unless you really know for sure you have a balanced pressure drop in both circuits, Y connections will increase the chance that you will fry the chip under the block starved for flow. To be safe, put the blocks in series, with the cpu first, to guarantee flow. Good luck, KK

[quote name='Kooler King']To be safe, put the blocks in series, with the cpu first, to guarantee flow.[/QUOTE] Or use an shut off valve partly closed on the faster flowing block to even out the flows between both blocks return flows How can u do this with 2 pails,long hoses from each return and a jugs of distilled water.just run the HCX only not ur system with an old AT power supply. have a friend keep the res full while u check flows of blocks, after u find the faster flowing block place the shut-off valve on the faster return hose and adjust till both are the same flow rates. with all this testing now is the time for 33% anti-freeze mix have bud fill fill res till u see it come out of finale hose, then shut off HCX an close all tubes your done;) a balanced system IN/-----GPU------\_______ ...\___CPU______/ shut valve after faster block

Archived