Corsair Community

Linux support

gardotd426

I saw on a thread on the LTT forums someone asking about ICUE in linux, and Nick, the corsair affiliate over there, said for the OP to gather linux users to post over here to voice our desire for linux support. So here I am. Here's the thing about garbage market share numbers: for one, they're obviously not at all accurate. Steam (and some other stat reporters) list linux at around 1 percent, however their methodology is flawed, and then you take something like the Humble Bundle, who reports up to 15 percent of their sales come from Linux. Which is insane given that most of the games they sell don't even run on linux natively. Further, in the enthusiast, general computer-loving community, linux has a far greater proportion of users.

Even just releasing a minimal client for things like RGB and fan control, even if it's just something as simple as communicating using the dbus interface, would be all that's necessary to support linux, we can do the rest ourselves. Further, it's been shown time and time again (the Humble numbers are one great example), that when a manufacturer, platform, or developer shows that they are willing to even give token support to linux, we will absolutely throw all the money at that manufacturer/platform/developer.

Linux users more than any other group will do most of the work for you, and gladly contribute back as much, if not more, than we are given in terms of support/advancing any software. That's the nature of open-source. Even if you want to release your software on linux under a proprietary license, we will still do a ton of the work and handle most of the support, that's the nature of linux. We just need at minimum the means to do that. Please, please consider doing something like this. Vendor-specific RGB control software is one of the last creature comfort things we are lacking in linux, and treating us as the first-class citizen we deserve to be treated as will give an outsized benefit

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am looking at a build using a Corsair case and water cooling, but I am primarily a Linux (Fedora) user and I am wondering if the iCue hardware will even work under a Linux build.

I don't want to build a water cooled system only to have it "dead in the water" when I boot into Linux.

Graphics cards manufacturers release Linux builds of their graphics drivers, and if Corsair were to release something to the Linux community, we could build the rest of it.

I haven't tried it yet, and it will take me a while to finish the build to try it. I did some research on the Commander Pro support on linux. I notice that the iCue software gets a garbage rating running under Wine in Linux:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=19165

I expect the open source project OpenCorsairLink will allow setting a fan temperature curve, and to set a pump speed on the Commander Pro:

https://github.com/audiohacked/OpenCorsairLink

This is good enough for me, I don't care about the RGB.

If you care about the RGB, then you could try OpenRGB, however I'm unsure if OpenRGB can control the fans.

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/issues/112

But you could just set the fan curves with OpenCorsairLink and try using OpenRGB for the RGB.

I am encouraged enough by the reports of OpenCorsairLink working to try to connect the fans and a water temperature sensor to the Commander Pro and try it (later, will take a while).

As a Linux user, I don't really care about all the blinken lights and such.

I just want to know that my gear is being cooled properly.

If I make a build and it has the iCue hardware, will it cool my CPU/GPU or can I do it manually (remote control?).

I'm not sure what you mean by iCue hardware. OpenCorsairLink works with the Commander Pro and some Corsair AIOs. This old blog article explains it:

https://danysk.github.io/information%20technology/make-corsair-water-cooling-work-under-linux/

If its custom water cooling using a Commander Pro, then the idea is to place a temperature sensor something like:

http://www.barrowint.com/plus/view.php?aid=1284

in the loop and plug the temperature sensor into one of the TEMP inputs on the commander pro. The pump(s), fan hub(s), and exhaust fan(s) would be plugged into the FANS connectors.

Edited by gienah

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my voice here for the need for Linux support. corsair RGB products are great but not everyone uses windows. I'm a roboticist, I develop on ubuntu 99% of my time. as a matter of fact, none of my friends or coworkers use windows and they are all geeks that game and develop on Linux.

my hardware :

6 RGB fans

4 vengeance rams

led strips

Hydro H150i Pro RGB

i spent a lot of time toying with the system and open-source software, but it's just not working on ubuntu and I had to turn off all the LEDs permanently! can you feel my pain when I look at my case all pitch black in there!

it's extremely frustrating and disappointing not to have proper icue support on Linux, to configure lights, or make sure that the system is properly cooling when I'm running simulations or training for machine learning.

Build it and they will come! Think about all the people that will buy corsair RGB products when there is official icue linux support!

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Same here. I have bought a dark core rgb se mouse and no software icue on ubuntu ...

it's a big problem.

@B0r1sBack

I bought the same mouse and found that the mouse pointer doesn't move at all on my Ubuntu box. I verified it works on my old windows laptop and, weirdly it works on my Steam Link. I was wondering if the mouse itself works on your Ubuntu system. I can live without iCue features since I can preset them on Windows and move the mouse over, but the mouse pointer not moving is a deal breaker.

Recently bought a H115 Pro XT cooler thinking there would be some form of support on linux and although I like the product (it's so far nicely quiet and efficient at cooling), the lack of any linux support prevents me from recommending it to other enthusiasts or even reusing this product in any new build in the future... Without a Windows VM or box around, there is no way of turning off the RGB light, no way of controlling the fans or the pump speed.

I do not think there is any need to port iCUE to linux or to divulge any type of proprietary information. All we need is some form of documentation of the protocol used by a given device! There are in the comunity people trying to reverse engineer the protocols but that effort is slow, time consuming error prone and sometimes dangerous for the hardware. As a company who prides itself for being pro technological enthusiast, I do not understand why there is such a total lack of interest of growing a market made of vocal, tech savy users with very often hefty gadget budgets.

The problem with ckb, and a couple of other projects is that they tend to support older devices and even those only partially. At the risk of repeating myself, reverse engineering is complicated, time consuming and dangerous (I'm pretty sure nobody will reverse engineer and implement firmware upgrades for instance). Besides, reverse engineering requires people with knowledge and skill that also have the right hardware. Corsair is ignoring a portion of its market the power user linux space made of software developers, data scientists, devops...

I had a look at the OpenRGB page and he has details on the commander pro fan control, and is tinkering with it.

Looks like a project to keep an eye on

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/wikis/Corsair-Lighting-Node-Devices

I have created an open source version of the Commander PRO using Arduino, I think this should help creating driver for it https://github.com/Legion2/CorsairLightingProtocol

• 1 month later...
I would also like to request iCUE support for Linux. CKB-next works in a limited fashion, but after setting up and using iCUE in Windows, what we get using CKB-next on the Linux side of my box leaves a lot to be desired. Appreciate your time and consideration of this request.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kiddo has Corsair RGB Void Elite Headset given by a relative as a Gift. Kiddo is Linux only, so right now only has access to the basics on the Headset. The rest of the family needs new headsets, but w/o Linux support, we can't consider Corsair. Your support department was contacted, and came back with "We can't contact the Developers or the Product Management Team." We have also worn out current keyboards & mice, so we are going to need to purchase new ones soon. And we are looking to upgrade when we do purchase.

So, two issues dealing with Corsair:

* No Linux support

* Customer support can't contact anybody for fixing issues == no Product Support

Notable item: We need to purchase multiple headsets, keyboards, and mice (for multiple computers & workstations) over the next 3 months.

Q: Why should we purchase additional products from Corsair when we can't make full use of the one that we have?

Hi I am a new user to Linux using POPOS. I would love more support for linux as Windows games and other applications have become increasingly more unstable I took the jump and went to this OS based on IT professor suggestion. Don't regret it, but would buy CORSAIR products if they had ICUE and driver support on Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be really nice, but honestly Corsair is just not cool enough to be able to pull it off. They have a lot of trouble supporting their products just on Windows. For example, it has been about a year since the QL series of fans came out, and they still haven't updated their SDK to support them fully, which means that more than 4 QL fans on one controller doesn't work properly in software that uses the SDK, such as Wallpaper Engine.

Corsair is understaffed & unprepared to take on the task of supporting Linux, and realistically won't do it any time in the near future.

Personally, I run a Windows virtual machine specifically for supporting iCUE. The USB RGB controller devices can be passed to the virtual machine. This is the best workaround available at the moment, since the third party software is not as advanced as iCUE at this time.