Corsair Community

Possible dead HX750i psu?

EzioAs

Where did you get those voltage readings for the HX and HXi. They're LITERALLY both the EXACT SAME PSU except for the HXi has the ability to communicate with iCUE.

The HX1200i used to register 12.096 but it has been going mad the last 2 weeks or so 11.8 11.4 11.1 i have seen it at 10.7 under a prime 95 load

even reseated the cables although they where fine already

Pulled out my old HX750 and its fine its a 2nd gen HX750 from 2014/2015 CP-9020031-UK

The HX1200i was picked up in 2018

Maybe i just got unlucky with a bad one

but the 3.3v rail was bad from day one

it was 3.245 under idle and as low as 3.080 under a prime95 + gpu load

With my HX750 its 3.344 idle and 3.265 under load

I was never happy with the poor 3.3v rail

I just presumed it was the motherboard

turned out it wasnt the motherboard but just a bad 3.3v rail on the HX1200i

so its lucky the 12v rail imploded or i would have never known

I only picked up the HX1200i as the HX750 had been so good and my pc upgrade was at the edge of its rating

I have also been getting crashes the last couple of weeks which was driving me mad

so put the cpu back to 5ghz and disabled the gpu oc was still getting crashes

Since i have put the HX750 in its been fine so have reinstated the oc which has also been fine

The motherboard seemed to be compensating for the bad 12v rail its on stock voltage with a -0.035mv undervolt stock intel load line and ac/dc load line

at 5ghz it was putting 1.320v into the cpu at the bios with the HX1200i

at 5.1ghz its putting in 1.308v into the cpu at the bios with the HX750

542953344_HX1200i12vRail.thumb.png.cba19266178a8276c9ec571640e57376.png

752588056_HX750PSUFitted.thumb.png.e24e9cdab4076e863578ba309e338606.png

604986390_HX750PSUFitted2.thumb.png.df079b3ad176626e34fdb139321a5cc4.png

Edited by Shonk

• Corsair Employee
The HX1200i used to register 12.096 but it has been going mad the last 2 weeks or so 11.8 11.4 11.1 i have seen it at 10.7 under a prime 95 load

even reseated the cables although they where fine already

Pulled out my old HX750 and its fine its a 2nd gen HX750 from 2014/2015 CP-9020031-UK

The HX1200i was picked up in 2018

Maybe i just got unlucky with a bad one

but the 3.3v rail was bad from day one

it was 3.245 under idle and as low as 3.080 under a prime95 + gpu load

With my HX750 its 3.344 idle and 3.265 under load

I was never happy with the poor 3.3v rail

I just presumed it was the motherboard

turned out it wasnt the motherboard but just a bad 3.3v rail on the HX1200i

so its lucky the 12v rail imploded or i would have never known

How do you figure? What problems were you experiencing?

I also asked how you were reading the voltages.

If you're using the motherboard BIOS or software like HWInfo, those numbers are going to be pretty random because those readings are taken at one point at the motherboard. Not from the PSU.

If you use Link or iCUE, you're getting an actual reading from the PSU. But that only works on the HXi. Not the non-i version. The only way to get a proper voltage reading without Link or iCUE is to use a digital multimeter.

So.. What problems were you having with the HXi that made you think it was due to a low +3.3V and did you use a DMM to measure the voltages?

I didnt say it was due to the 3.3v rail i simply said the 3.3v rail was garbage in comparison to my hx750

I said the 12v rail was 11.1v going as low as 10.7v under load causing instability

and is clearly failing

this was also confirmed with a multimeter

oh and btw the icue readings where saying it was fine

so yeah dont take them as gospel

come on jonny you know better

HX1200i-12v-Rail.png

HX750-PSU-Fitted.png

Edited by Shonk

• Corsair Employee

come on jonny you know better

I do know better. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. ;)

You keep showing BIOS readings for voltage. Even after I told you that those voltages aren't being read from the PSU. I take BIOS readings with a grain of salt.

The iCUE readings are actually going to be the most accurate, as they are taken DIRECTLY from the PSU. If there's a discrepancy between iCUE and the motherboard, then the discrepancy is OUTSIDE of the PSU. i.e. faulty cable, poor connection, etc.

But if you REALLY DID use a DMM and take a voltage reading directly from an available output and the same pin on both power supplies, and confirmed the low voltage, then it's safe to assume those readings are low.

I do know better. That's why I'm giving you a hard time. ;)

You keep showing BIOS readings for voltage. Even after I told you that those voltages aren't being read from the PSU. I take BIOS readings with a grain of salt.

The iCUE readings are actually going to be the most accurate, as they are taken DIRECTLY from the PSU. If there's a discrepancy between iCUE and the motherboard, then the discrepancy is OUTSIDE of the PSU. i.e. faulty cable, poor connection, etc.

But if you REALLY DID use a DMM and take a voltage reading directly from an available output and the same pin on both power supplies, and confirmed the low voltage, then it's safe to assume those readings are low.

My first goto was the cables as i thought the same

I really dont like the 24pin being modular its a bad idea

same for the primary eps12v

but it seems everyone wants fully modular for some stupid reason

I cleaned all contacts with 99.9% iso propanol

and gave it 2 hours to evaporate

It didnt make a difference

I tested with a multimeter at the 24pin header eps12v and pci-e

all where low

I just hope its a one off bad unit and not an indicator of a bad design..