Corsair Community

marcone

Some have argued that an UPS may in some cases demage the PSU.

I have read some articles on the internet, however I was not able to draw a final conclusion on the subject as the opinions vary quite a lot.

Basically there are 3 kind of waveform in the UPS:

1- square wave

2- quasi-sine wave pulse width modulated stepped rectangular waves

3- sine wave

Most agree that the best waveform is the sine wave, but UPS with this feature are a bit expensive to many, and some argue that it is not really necessary for most PCs users.

So my main concern is related to UPS with quasi-sine wave pulse width modulated stepped rectangular waves, which I have been using on my PC, which has a Corsair TX 850W.

Can an UPS (with quasi-sine wave pulse width modulated stepped rectangular waves) demage a PSU?

I'm not a PSU expert, but my opinion is that UPS can't damage any PSU unless it pushes too high voltage to it. The reason is that one of the first things power supplies do is to put a large capacitor at input which linearizes the voltage from AC to DC. So the wave form itself has little to no effect at all, as it is very soon linearized to the wave very close to DC.

• Corsair Employee
I can't remember a case where a UPS damaged one of our PSUs. The only thing that I have seen regarding behavior with non-sine wave UPS backups, is that when you are running on battery power, you may hear the PSU buzz/humm. This is typically common with high efficiency PSUs, and would not indicate any functional problem, or increased chance of failure or damage.

Archived