Corsair Community

Old Hydro H100 question regarding iCUE

cowgod

I have an old system that I'm adding RGB to for funsies. I'll be getting a bunch of LL fans and a Commander Pro.

I have an old H100 Hydro AIO cooler. There are 4 fan headers on it along with a port to plug in a cable for the Corsair Link software. I have no idea where this cable is, but do I even need it if I'm using the Commander Pro to control all the fans anyway? Does that cable give me extra info in iCUE like coolant temp or something?

If it does give extra info, can you buy this cable separately?

That is correct. The original H100 predates even the first version of Link/CUE software by several years. It had some kind of 3 button preset for fans. However, that does not necessarily preclude the use of RGB fans now.

Each Corsair RGB fan has two wires - one for fan motor power, the other for lighting power. The fan lighting is run through a RGB Lighting Hub (SATA powered) which then in turn connects to a lighting controller, like the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. The fan motor power is a tradition connector.

I seem to remember the first H100i was a DC fan controller, unlike all the others that came after. Now there are three pin DC RGB fans (the SP-series), but I am not sure I would make the choice based on that. Setting up your case with RGB fans will cost far more than a cooler, so you pick the fan type based on your preference. Of note, all coolers after are PWM controllers so this does have some future bearing.

Thanks for the reply! I just bought a 3 pack of LL120 fans and I'll use 2 on the radiator and 1 on the back of the case. I'm not going to upgrade the H100 because it's not really worth it. I'll ignore the fan connectors on it and just plug everything into the Commander Pro (and the RGB from the fans into the RGB Fan Hub). I'll follow the awesome wiring diagram from Zotty for that. Thanks!