Corsair Community

LED Fans and corsair link

GrahamB

Hi Corsair,

A suggestion to you, you need to establish a new standard for PWM fans and LEDs.

No LED fan will work with the Link Cooling node, what I want are PWM fans with LEDs, preferably RGB Leds, at a minimum on/off. I think this means going to 5 pin fans at a minimum, standard PWM + LED (and RGB).

As you are redesigning the cooling node, just a thought, as long as you can provide the fans as well.

I would think if you did this then these would differentiate you from the competition.

Just a thought.

• Corsair Employee
Incidentally, I'm actually running five of our LED fans attached to a Corsair Link Cooling Node and they work fine. It's tough to get 3-pin fan compatibility across so many different fans for the Cooling Nodes, but all of our fans are tested with Corsair Link for compatibility.

The 12v is split. Basically one side goes to fan power and one goes to power the LED's.. But of course this is all done on that tiny circuit board on the back of the fan.

No control of On/Off for the LEDs or any brightness control?

No control over either.

Incidentally, I'm actually running five of our LED fans attached to a Corsair Link Cooling Node and they work fine. It's tough to get 3-pin fan compatibility across so many different fans for the Cooling Nodes, but all of our fans are tested with Corsair Link for compatibility.

for clarification your saying that all corsair fans work with link commander?

3 pin 4 pin and led?

is this with only the newest software or?

for clarification your saying that all corsair fans work with link commander?

3 pin 4 pin and led?

No, just 4pin and LED, but not 3 pin fans.

The standard case fans with my carbide 500R have Ground, Fan 12V, and LED 12V in 3 pins. Fan speed is controllable via voltage but I cannot see how this would connect to a link cooling node.

It wouldn't. It would have to be a 4pin fan. I believe what Dustin was getting at was that all of Corsairs 4 pin PWM fans would work. Although he makes it sound as if even the three pin fan would too. I don't believe this is the case.

But with a 4 pin PWM LED fan the LEDs would have to be linked to the fan 12v and be always on, not controllable.

Would help if Corsair would publish this information in their fan descriptions!

Technical specs just say 2 years warranty, not very technical!

No, just 4pin and LED, but not 3 pin fans.

It wouldn't. It would have to be a 4pin fan. I believe what Dustin was getting at was that all of Corsairs 4 pin PWM fans would work. Although he makes it sound as if even the three pin fan would too. I don't believe this is the case.

i agree but didnt want to sound brash and say so;):

But with a 4 pin PWM LED fan the LEDs would have to be linked to the fan 12v and be always on, not controllable.

Not necessarily. Look at fans that have a separate on/off switch for the LED's. You could still bring , say a link connector off the circuit board instead of an on/off switch. That would make them controllable in LINK. But as you said before, your talking a whole redisgn of current fans. I don't know if that would happen or not.

A good example ifs the Enermax T.B. Vegas Duo for example( i run the vegas's myself on my loop) they have multiple LED's that are switchable via a small control button . All you would need to do is change the button to a connector and combine them via software. Stick a fork in it, it's done! LOL I know it's not QUITE that simple, but in theory it could be done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214033

Not necessarily. Look at fans that have a separate on/off switch for the LED's. You could still bring , say a link connector off the circuit board instead of an on/off switch. That would make them controllable in LINK. But as you said before, your talking a whole redisgn of current fans. I don't know if that would happen or not.

A good example ifs the Enermax T.B. Vegas Duo for example( i run the vegas's myself on my loop) they have multiple LED's that are switchable via a small control button . All you would need to do is change the button to a connector and combine them via software. Stick a fork in it, it's done! LOL I know it's not QUITE that simple, but in theory it could be done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214033

i have 8 of the tbe's ,7 still unopened,i wasnt able to get them to work via the link

ccoulda been me tho,im not the brightest bulb on the tree:o:

Are they? Thats cool. We have known that 3 pin fans can be hit or miss most of the time.

It would be nice to start collecting a list of what fans are controllable with link. Be it 3 or 4 pin fans.

Admittedly i quit using the LINK a while back. Mostly because i couldn't control the Zigmatek fans I had at the time. Since the FW has come a long way and the software has gone through some changes, I may reinstall everything and see what happens.

That gives me an Idea!...NVM, I guess with the cooling node going the way of the dinosaurs I'll wait and see what comes off the line next , first.

Wouldn't it be nice if Corsair were to actually publish the details of what fans will work with the cooling node, and what won't. Tech specs will do, as long as they publish the tech specs of their own fans, rather than 2 year warranty, which ain't actually a technical specification.

yeah but doing that it would get lost among all the other threads and seems no one uses search...

while individual nodes arent available ,they still sell the complete package so people will still benefit,not to mention all those with nodes already like me as i have 8 i think,,,

Thats the thing about forums. Stuff like that does take some work. You just need to update the original post as they come in. I'm sure if the list got to be any tangible amount it wouldn't be that hard to get it stickied.

I did it for a couple of years with mods for a game i used to play with some friends. It's really a matter of how serious you want to get about compiling such a list.

Archived