Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5 question

shellski

Hey there

Having a nightmare trying to get it to work, not sure whether it's the video card or the RAM causing the problems:

This is a brand new build, and I'm on about my 6th rebuild and have been getting lots of memory errors. Sort of problems I've been getting are Windows problems reported randomly and regularly, BSOD, explorer closes, memory exception errors, running games (3d like WoW) pauses then puts up black screen, then kicks me back out to windows and nothing responds apart from reset button.

I was sold the board, ram and graphics card as being able to work together, but can't find much about this RAM anywhere.

I've managed to find details about TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM and with various other suffixes, but can only find French sites with TWIN2X4096-8500C5 G on and they're just offering it for sale.

If you could please advise if this RAM is compatible with my system, and how I can test it - I have adjusted the speed in the BIOS to 1066, and 5 - 5 - 5 - 15, with a voltage of 2.1

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

[b]AI Overclock Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]
[indent]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 8
FSB Frequency = 333
PCI-E Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = Manual
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = 150ps
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = 150ps
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR2-1066
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  5
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5
RAS# PRE Time = 5
RAS# ACT Time = 15
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 55 
All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Read Training = Auto
Mem. OC Charger = Auto
AI Transaction Booster = Disable

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 2.1v
NB Voltage = 1.35
SB Voltage = Auto
PCI-E SATA Voltage = Auto

Loadline Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Legacy USB = Disabled[/indent]

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Shut your system down, insert a single stick in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), remove the first stick and insert the second stick in Slot 1. Repeat the Memtest. Then insert a single stick in slot 3. Repeat memtest. Finally insert one stick in Slot 1 and the second stick in Slot 3. Repeat the Memtest.

Results?

• Corsair Employee

Yes those modules should run great in that MB>

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

HI Derek

OK, gone into the BIOS to do the settings, and this is what I had trouble finding - or different settings to what you'd suggested.

Shall I save these settings and go ahead with the memtest (got the CD ready!)

Michelle

Can't find

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1 = 150ps

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2 = 150ps

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

AI Transaction Booster = Disable (I have choice of auto or manual)

NB Voltage = 1.35(I have choice of 1.34 or 1.36)

Can't find I haven't enabled any OC jumpers on MB.

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

CPU GTL Volage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

Ran 2 passes on each suggestion:

1 module in slot 1, then in slot 3

other module in slot 1, then in slot 3

both modules in slots 1 and 3 (had to go to bed so this ran overnight!)

Between the tests was getting 'Overclocking failed' with an American Megatrends Bios screen, but just chose continue (f1) and moved to the next test.

No errors found during any test.

No, I don't

I think for now, I'll eliminate the memory as being a problem and continue investigating other components and software /sigh

Many thanks for your help and an excellent prompt precise service - you've been great :biggrin:

Archived