Corsair Community

Help me confirm I've got the hardware setup correct in my head?

pdegan2814

I'm plotting out various setups for my next PC rebuild, and I'm toying with the idea of letting Corsair software handle all the fans/lighting instead of the motherboard. I want to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly about what pieces I'd need and how to connect them all, can someone check my work?

The Hardware:

Obsidian 450D Case

H115i RGB Platinum AIO

4 ML120 Pro RGB fans(1 in rear, 3 on top)

1 RGB Hub

1 Commander Pro

The 4 ML120's would connect to the Commander Pro for speed, and the RGB Hub for lighting.

The ML140's on the radiator would connect to the pump for both speed and lighting.

The RGB Hub would connect to an RGB connector on the Commander.

The H115i, RGB Hub and Commander would each use a SATA connector for power.

The Commander would connect to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

The H115i would connect the tach wire to the CPU fan header on the motherboard, and to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

Is this correct? Could I instead connect the USB cable from the H115i to one of the USB 2.0 headers on the Commander? If I also got a Corsair PSU with the USB connector, could the Commander handle the USB links for both the H115i and the PSU?

The Commander Pro has 2 usb 2 passthroughs, so both the cooler and PSU can plug in there.

You will also have the option to connect the lighting wire from the two radiator fans to the RGB hub with the other 4 case fans. This will put the lighting effect control for all fans in one place (C-Pro tab in iCUE) versus 2 split off on the cooler tab. It also makes synchronized effects across all fans much easier.

Aside from that, it all looks good.

You will also have the option to connect the lighting wire from the two radiator fans to the RGB hub with the other 4 case fans. This will put the lighting effect control for all fans in one place (C-Pro tab in iCUE) versus 2 split off on the cooler tab. It also makes synchronized effects across all fans much easier.

Is the iCue software not able to sync the lighting effects between the H115i and the Commander?

To some extent, but you must manually program it to do so. There is a Lighting Link series of presets that apply an effect globally across all iCUE devices, but that is a small slice of the potential options. In your situation with 2 free RGB hub ports, I can’t think of a good reason not to put all 6 on the same hub. The Platinum’s lighting controller is more useful if that is the only Corsair RGB device, you are 2 rgb ports short (8 fans), or the radiator fans are located in a physically distinct area apart from the other 4. The RGB hub is sequential 1-6, so you order the fans on the hub in the direction you want light/waves to travel.