Corsair Community

H80i v2 always at 0 rpm

MarcoHasAName

Hi, I don't know if this has been posted before or if there is already an answer.

So I have a i7 6700K, with the Corsair H80i v2 liquid cooler. I upgraded my motherboard to a MSI z270 gaming M7 (from a MSI z170 gaming m3) very recently and since then my Corsair Link always reads that the H80i v2 fan's sit at 0 rpm.

I have read a lot of different websites and many posts suggesting fixing this in the BIOS. Since I know next to nothing about any BIOS, this is quite difficult. As well as my BIOS does have a clear "Disable fan" option. I am using MSI click BIOS 5.

Can anyone help me, give me a run down on what I should be doing to fix this?

Thank you.

1821621418_CorsairLinkH80i0rpm.thumb.PNG.43787c2fc3653fcb4ba3ab835245786d.PNG

Edited by MarcoHasAName

Thank you all, I have fixed it.

Zotty:

“Yup.. pump is 600 rpm

in bios head to hardware monitor.. and set cpu fan to Full Speed”

“watching this may help.. discusses fan control at about 1:30sec in (with video)”

DevBiker:

“The fans speed on the CPU header that the H80i v2 is plugged in to doesn't control the unit. It provides power. Setting it to 100%/Full Speed ensures that the unit gets the full 12v that it needs.

See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801.”

Really helped.

1090043998_CorsairLinkH80i0rpmFix.thumb.PNG.1b33d16fc562464579b7199ca3114982.PNG

Edited by MarcoHasAName

"The fan is plugged in to CPU_FAN?? Or the cooler? The H80i v2 has two fans that should be set in push/pull configuration."

It is set in a push and pull configuration. I only have one fan plug because the two fan plugs feel into a one plug adapter thing.

But it is fixed now it is showing results, thank you!

Thank you all, I have fixed it.

Zotty:

“Yup.. pump is 600 rpm

in bios head to hardware monitor.. and set cpu fan to Full Speed”

“watching this may help.. discusses fan control at about 1:30sec in (with video)”

DevBiker:

“The fans speed on the CPU header that the H80i v2 is plugged in to doesn't control the unit. It provides power. Setting it to 100%/Full Speed ensures that the unit gets the full 12v that it needs.

See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168801.”

Really helped.

Winner,,, well done buddy,,,,

@Devbiker... Me n You vs the world lol....

• 1 month later...

/bump

Dev biker thanks again. I had the same problem. Setting the CPU fan header to full speed fixed my RPMs on both the fans and the pump. Dropped core temp from low 30's idle to mid-20's idle. Huge difference!!!

So to be clear, the question of CPU header set to full speed in BIOS vs. high powered pump header on modern boards... which is best? I'd assume high powered pump header is best and has some advantages but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting opinions on the matter. Assuming HPW Pump header's only advantage is it frees up standard fan and CPU headers? Assuming you could you regroup the pump header with CPU and get the same benefits or something like that?

Edited by Sheesh

So to be clear, the question of CPU header set to full speed in BIOS vs. high powered pump header on modern boards... which is best? I'd assume high powered pump header is best and has some advantages but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting opinions on the matter. Assuming HPW Pump header's only advantage is it frees up standard fan and CPU headers? Assuming you could you regroup the pump header with CPU and get the same benefits or something like that?

It is very board specific and tiny details may have more long term bearing on your preference. It seems most of these Asus boards have some quirks in regard to header behavior. MY CPU/OPT ignores the BIOS and AI Suite fan delays. On my X99 Strix, the HAMP header will always do a full 100% power on for PWM fans (unlike the other headers). This can be a minor annoyance and putting the pump on their would address the issue. However, that would then leave me in a bind with the rear fan and I would have three more or less useless AIO/CPU/OPT headers across the top. The HAMP header will work as a normal chassis fan header and the HAMP location may be more meaningful than most other things. As long as the pump gets its full 12v (for H80i v2 and H100i v2), it doesn't matter where it comes from. The other case building considerations will probably be the determining factor. You don't need the 3.0A capacity and those two coolers were made to run the standard 1.0A everyone else has. Trying to push that boundary while the fans are connected to the pump is more likely to short-circuit the cooler than the motherboard header.

/bump

Dev biker thanks again. I had the same problem. Setting the CPU fan header to full speed fixed my RPMs on both the fans and the pump. Dropped core temp from low 30's idle to mid-20's idle. Huge difference!!!

Here's a dirty little secret: the AIO pump header, at least on the Asus boards, is just a normal, 1.0A fan header that's set to 12V/100% by default.

That's it.

And guess what? You can enable Q-Fan control for that header and use it just like any other fan header.

So what's best, IMHO? Having a dedicated SATA connection for the pump. No silly 1.0A limitation, guaranteed 12V and available 5V and 3.3V rails if you need them.

• 2 weeks later...

So eh i recently got a new pc and everything was working fine, but after a week corsair link showed 0rpm for my h80i v2 , i tried other driver versions and i tried disabling smart fan control in bios.

But if i disable that and the pump gets full 12v then it starts spinning and pumping at full power and it will just stay at 100% all the time. I have no idea what to do now or how to fix this since i have a pre-built pc and know nothing about installing parts.

see picture : windows also just gave an error message saying it doesn't recognize the usb device (bottom one) while the usbxp driver is there http://prntscr.com/hyy71t

(specs: x299 sli plus mobo, gtx1070ti, i7 7740x and h80i v2 plus)

any idea how to fix this? since it just randomly occured

EDIT: when i clicked on devices in corsair link it recognized by h80i v2 BUT it says firmware version n/a

EDIT 2: in device manager the CORSAIR USBxp keeps popping up and vanishing and there is also a "unknown usb device (failed to find adress)" (translated from dutch)

Edited by captaindust

If the pump gets the full 12V, it will operate properly. If it doesn't, it won't operate properly and very well may fail in a short period of time.

As long as the fans are connected to the pump, the pump will control the fan speeds. It won't have anything to do with the setting on the fan header; that is only there to give the pump power, not to control the fan speed or anything else. You will use Link to set and control your fan speeds.

But you are seeing 0 RPM and the "unknown USB device messages" because the pump doesn't have the correct amount of power. So set it to 100% in the BIOS. That is the only fix.

• 1 year later...
If the pump gets the full 12V, it will operate properly. If it doesn't, it won't operate properly and very well may fail in a short period of time.

As long as the fans are connected to the pump, the pump will control the fan speeds. It won't have anything to do with the setting on the fan header; that is only there to give the pump power, not to control the fan speed or anything else. You will use Link to set and control your fan speeds.

But you are seeing 0 RPM and the "unknown USB device messages" because the pump doesn't have the correct amount of power. So set it to 100% in the BIOS. That is the only fix.

I've tried everything. And can't get this to work. It worked fine on my recently changed motherboard, an Asus z87. I stumbled upon this thread where you say to put cpufans on 100% so to get the 12v power the pump needs. When I do this in bios I just get fans and pump on full speed, but still neither icue or corsair link find my pump.

My new hardware :

I7-9700k

Msi z390 carbon ac.

Trident 3200 MHz ram

Corsair hydro h80i V2 cooler

The pump is connected to to CPU fan on MB and on USB header 2. I've also tried the other ones(3 to 5 USB headers)

I've tried older versions of both programs. No dice.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Soyyojuli

• 4 months later...

I had this problem with my H80i. It showed 0 RPM most of the time even though the fans where running. I say most of the time beacuse occasionally the real RPM would flash by for a second in iCUE and then revert back to zero.

I solved this by going into BIOS, disabling Q-Fan Control for all fans for my ASUS motherboard. After the reboot the H80i displayed the correct RPM for the fans in iCUE.