Corsair Community

Unable to transfer system image from a 120Gb SSSD to a 480Gb SSd

XFelipeX

Greetings everyone!

I have a 120GB Force GT drive with my operating system and some programs and I would like to clone this drive into a new 480GB Force GS but I having trouble in this task. I tried using windows imaging utility and using Acronis but still no success. When I plug the 480ssd windows recognized it normally but when I unplug de original 120 ssd to install the image on the new 480 the image recovering processes fails. Apparently windows does not recognize the drive as a valid option for system recovery. Can anyone point-me a direction or a link that explains how to solve this?

Before you do this, lemme tell you that the best way to install windows to a SSD is a fresh install, not a clone. You get better performance. That being said, here's the best way.

Download Paragon and install it. I believe you have to get a registration code, but it's 100% free. Go through the instructions and tell it to create a backup of your 120GB drive. You will have to have a drive big enough to hold the backup. Once that's done, just go through it again and choose restore to the 480Gb.

Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't help with the software you have already, but I've done it this way many times.

Many tanks for the reply!

I agree with you that it’s better to do a fresh install in most cases but when the original drive is also an SSD you would, at list in theory, have far less issues to deal with (please correct me if I’m missing something). I think I’ll give a try to paragon.

I tried this afternoon to clone the drive with Norton Ghost but the copy was not bootable…

There is any specific procedure to be done with SSD’s tho make them bootable?

I will post the results later, tanks again for the help!

Many tanks for the reply!

I agree with you that it’s better to do a fresh install in most cases but when the original drive is also an SSD you would, at list in theory, have far less issues to deal with (please correct me if I’m missing something). I think I’ll give a try to paragon.

I tried this afternoon to clone the drive with Norton Ghost but the copy was not bootable…

There is any specific procedure to be done with SSD’s tho make them bootable?

I will post the results later, tanks again for the help!

It should separate each drive with its appropriate letter. I made the mistake the first time of picking and choosing which parts to clone, I missed some boot partition/section of the drive, so it wouldn't boot. So just pick which letter drive you want cloned and it should check mark all the right parts of that drive. I don't have it installed currently or else i would post a screenshot.

I appreciate the help cman12, thanks again,

Paragon did the job. I used the OS transfer tool and it work like a charm! In fact the new Force GS 480gb drive is even faster than the 120GB Force GT.

Cheers

Awesome, glad to hear it worked. For the speeds, I am not sure. They look fast, but best to wait for a Corsair Guru to let you know for sure.

Archived