The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > Alternative OS Support

Old 06-19-2004, 11:04 PM

POST ID # = 127903
najmee Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to najmee Send a message via AIM to najmee Send a message via MSN to najmee Send a message via Yahoo to najmee
Wink Redhat9 doesn't detect my modem

Hi!
yesterday i installed Red hat 9 and it was my first time touching the linux OS. i specially bought a US Robotics Exteral modem for it as people told me that it wors good with linux and it doesn't need any installation. but things come out in reverse way.
i attached the modem to system and installed it under XP and it worked find then i went to Linux and tried to make a dial-up too. but first of all i didn't find the place where i could see that the modem is detected and picked-up its driver. but i foud something like: Internet connection wizard, so i clicked that and it was trying to detect modem but nothing found.
i went to hardware broser to but didn't see modem listed in there. as i expect that if linux could not find a driver for it at least it should have shown that a new hardware is detected. but nothing like that i have seen there. i am quite new guy in linux maybe i don't know enough about it to setup the modem.
my modem is US robotics 5630b external
here is a clear image of it: http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-pr...mea&prod=5630b

my system configuration:
Pentuim III
256 MB ram
2 x 40GB HDD moxter and seagate
2 x modems Lucent and US robotics which i am having trouble with
ASUS motherborad
TVPlayPro TV tunner card

i will really appreciate your help

thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 02:06 PM

POST ID # = 127948
Obitus Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to Obitus Send a message via AIM to Obitus Send a message via Yahoo to Obitus

Have you tried using one of the dialing utilities like kppp? Also what serial port is it connected to?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:44 PM

POST ID # = 127974
najmee Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to najmee Send a message via AIM to najmee Send a message via MSN to najmee Send a message via Yahoo to najmee

No i did not try any utility. the modem is connected through serial port com1. there is only one serial port in my PC and modem is connected to that.

today powered off the modem and booted the linux RD9 after booting it gave me a messagel like:
kudzu detected that US Robotics fazmodem 56k external is removed from your system, and it give me three option: 1 configure the device 2 remove the settings for this device 3 do nothing.

i think that this message indicates that the linux know about my modem and its type even. but why i cannot see it in Hardware browser, that is the amzing thing. i feel that i am a new user of linux so i can't configure it,

please give me some tips too, for checking whether the device is detected.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:09 PM

POST ID # = 127977
Obitus Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to Obitus Send a message via AIM to Obitus Send a message via Yahoo to Obitus

To be perfectly honest, it's been a while since I've used RedHat (especially since they basically stopped making a desktop distribution) but it sounds like it did find it with that message. What option did you pick?

Also, there should be a utility in the menu somewhere (on mine it's under the System menu) called InfoCenter that will tell you about all the components that have been detected on your system and their configuration.

If you try one of the tools like KPPP (which should be installed with RedHat 9) it acts very much like the Windows modem dialer.

RedHat does normally have some decent documentation that you might find helpful. Here is a link:
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance but it's been a while since I've used RedHat and an even longer time since I used a modem dialer in Linux.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 AM

POST ID # = 128024
linux Reputation: 10
Send a message via ICQ to linux Send a message via Yahoo to linux
Idea pppd

hello sir,

i would like to ask your redhat setup ? (complete install, workstation)

if you install it complete its a plug-n-surf thing. but if you select other methods and you have them configured to other dependencies please deploy your pppd (ppp deamon) mggetty

/etc/ppp

inside the dir nano your conf option there you start to input some value(s)

please also make sure your modem is working. you could do kudzo for easy management.

hope this helps
Old 07-12-2004, 07:38 PM

POST ID # = 131413
Code Hack Reputation: 10
Haha! Help is here

Try a totaly diffrent modem, maby that would work.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Former Moderator

POST ID # = 136357
capybara Reputation: 10

yeah, i agree with Code Hack, id try a different modem: either external USB. or internal
full hardware modem. US Robotics makes internal hardware modems, and theyre sold on ebay cheap.