Corsair Community

Corsair Obsidian bad airflow

Odaik

Hello,

I own a Corsair 700D, and am having issues with the airflow in the case.

Firstly, with regards to the HDD cooling "zone", the product is advertised as having a cooling system whereby the warm air would flow through the chamber behind the motherboard tray, and out of the ventilation holes on the rear of the case (marked blue). However, I've found that instead of warm air flowing out of these holes, air is actually being sucked in (and with it, dust).

Secondly, the issues with airflow on this case with regards to lack of intake air have been covered repeatedly on these forums. I plan to therefore cut a 140mm ventilation hole in the side panel to attach a case fan. I will also block off the ventilation holes (marked in red below) to prevent warm air from re-entering the case, and dust from being sucked in. As I will be blocking off the ventilation holes, will an additional 140mm fan in the side panel be enough to compensate for the airflow (fan of similar airflow specs to the standard Corsair fans that come with the case).

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/6f652239.png

I'd appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks,

Odai.

Firstly, with regards to the HDD cooling "zone", the product is advertised as having a cooling system whereby the warm air would flow through the chamber behind the motherboard tray, and out of the ventilation holes on the rear of the case (marked blue). However, I've found that instead of warm air flowing out of these holes, air is actually being sucked in (and with it, dust).

:confused: Where did you get this information? :confused:

Was it from Corsair or some unofficial source?

I'm sure I read it in a Corsair page somewhere, I'll have a look now.

But while I'm looking, I thought that was the obvious reason the mesh at the back is there. I mean, why else would it be there, if not to allow the air from the HDD fan to exhaust? :confused:

If you get some positive pressure in the case, a stonger 140mm lower intake and a couple of top 120mm fans (with filters) you'll fix any issue of dust entering the case.

As an FYI, I put a side 180mm Silverstone Air Penetrator via a waterjet cut and there is no vibration at all which has been the only complaint I've heard from people who've modded in fans on the side. It has a switch between 750rpm and 1200rpm. I'd stay away from smaller high rpm fans...

I also added a front 120mm via a 3 bay HD cooler. Overall I would say my temps are phenominal...but it took work and a little more money than I expected to spend. That said I love mine!

A waterjet cutter is a high pressure water cutting tool. Most major machine shops have them...usually you create a drawing and they convert it into a blueprint.

I was able to get the cut done for $75...which should be about the going rate for one or two fan holes. The advantage is it is an increadibly smooth cut and thus it won't facilitate as much vibration as a cut with a dremel on those big side panels. I checked the store and they are selling for 19.99 right now.

Any chance on getting a response from Corsair on this issue?

I haven't modified the case in any way, the HDD fan used is the stock one, so I can't see why the system isn't working in the way Corsair advertise it.

I've tried just contacting Corsair tech support directly, using the web form a few days ago, but haven't received any response at all - the same happened the last few times I've tried to contact Corsair regarding issues with their products. :confused:

Like JSX, I'm also finding dust on the vents. The way it has built up on the mesh does indicate air is being sucked in, rather than hot air being blown out as Corsair has advertised.

• Corsair Employee
Hello Odaik, Sorry for the delay in our response. I have posted a reply to both your TSX case and your other forum post. Unfortunately there may not be a whole lot that can be done about the airflow in the case other than swapping out fans. MeanBruce has some good advice, and I know that there have been many threads here with people offering suggestions for better cooling in the 800D/700D. Ultimately, every system is going to be different, so there may not be one cooling configuration that works best for every system. In most cases it will take a little trial and error to get the absolute best results.

Dude, Tom Logan at Overclock3D.com has 3 or 4 YouTubes on how to improve airflow in the 800D. I think he reversed the rear fan so air would flow into the case and went with a Corsair H70 and added an additional fan in the case bottom, check em out!

I think that URL should be http://www.overlock3d.net.

I found that site but a search did not turn up anything by Tom Logan. Do you have any specific URLs?:biggrin:

Archived