The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 07:01 PM
pdegan2814's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014889
pdegan2814 Reputation: 10
Default Quick question about the reported iCUE/Ryzen 3000 issues

Before I go any deeper into planning my next system build, I just want to make sure I understand something correctly. In very general terms, the issue appears to be that the system polling done by the iCUE software(and potentially other system monitoring software) is making the Ryzen 3x00 think it's continually active enough that it should be boosting, resulting in the CPU never really downshifting to save power/heat/etc, yes? So all I need to know is two things:

1) When the system is running full-bore, such as on a multithreaded video transcoding task, the system wouldn't be trying to downshift anyway, so it's not really an issue, correct? Setting aside any concerns about how many cycles iCUE is using, I'm solely asking about the speeds the cpu would be running at.

2) In the talk of what voltage ranges the Ryzen 3x000 would be running at, are they still within the bounds of what's considered "normal" for that cpu running at high utilization, albeit more towards the upper end? If the voltage levels are still considered in-spec, that's one thing. If people are saying it pushes the voltage higher than what's safe, that's something else entirely.

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the issue to decide if it's one that would matter to my build decisions.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:57 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014928
DevBiker Reputation: 88

1) True statement.
2) Yes, it's still in spec. Where it lands actually depends on the user's settings in the BIOS (e.g. overclocking, Precision Boost Overdrive, etc).

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:41 PM

POST ID # = 1014934
beardo47 Reputation: 10

Remember there are issues with some AMD motherboards with regards to smoothness of certain lighting modes too.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:30 AM
Mussels's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014977
Mussels Reputation: 10

I'm setting the same issues with 1st and 2nd gen ryzens too, the problem i get is that because all the cores are seen as active, i dont get single core boost

Voltages and so on are always in spec and safe, we're just getting problems where the CPU's dont idle properly OR boost properly (not everyone gets both)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:56 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014996
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 104

That is not a new issue and goes back several Intel generations as well. The old days of the clocks sitting flat like pancake on the desktop are gone. Most people are going to need to set their BIOS up to respond to the turbo core frequency with more than 1 core active and/or use heavier power savings tools if they want the clocks to lie down on the desktop, with the inevitable loss in responsiveness the chip makers have worked in.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:08 AM

POST ID # = 1014997
jms1977 Reputation: 10

So is it safe to continue using or not? general feeling on reddit is not to use it but my rig is virtually all corsair products so id like to continue using it lol but not if it is gonna damage my cpu
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015002
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms1977 View Post
So is it safe to continue using or not? general feeling on reddit is not to use it but my rig is virtually all corsair products so id like to continue using it lol but not if it is gonna damage my cpu
iCue is not going to damage your CPU.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 AM
donalgodon's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015711
donalgodon Reputation: 10

1.4+ volts is still "in spec," but the CPU is not designed to run this way every second it is active. It's just not.

The only effective workaround is removing iCue.

Running at such voltages isn't recommended. The CPU is designed to ramp down to low-power and voltage states, rather than have all cores active and pushing high voltage.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 PM
liakou's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015798
liakou Reputation: 10

Keeps my 3900x's voltage all time high. When I close iCue in windows, voltages and temps drop on my cpu.