Corsair Community

H100i hissing high pitch noise

tanik1

Hi,

I been with the H100i for awhile and it made some noise but it was not bad at first. So it was tolerable that it didnt bother me. It's been great. Now I am hearing this hissing noise and high pitch noise coming from the pump when i play games. This happened to me before with the H100. I disconnected all my fans to make sure it wasn't the fan. And it wasn't the fan, noise still there with all fan off. Like the noise is not noticeable when using computer regularly but the noise is there when a game starts. I wouldn't think something was wrong. But the thing is that my pump LED also started flickering. I am not sure but it flicker on and off randomly. So this is why I am thinking is there something wrong with my pump to make that noise and caused the LED to flickter on and off? Any thoughts?

I am on windows 10 pro

corsair link version 3.2.5742

Hi,

- Do You have the motherboard fan controller set to OFF or max speed ? (Q-Fan, smart fan ... every manufacturer calls it other way)

- If NO, set it immediately (the cooler should have constant 12V as it powers the integrated controller also)

- if Yes, what CL shows? Pump RPM is ok? Temps ok? Fan speeds ok and regulated?

- If everything is like above (constant 12V, CL shows everything ok) try to change the pump speed and check what happens

Hi. Yea. I do not currently have a video card just the stock integrated intel graphics. And the power supply is a thermaltake tr2 rx 750 watt. The fan speed are set to standard on the motherboard. I use the CL to control the speed of the fans. CL shows the PUMP RPM constantly at 2070. I don't really mess with the pump speed. The temps are ok, fans speed raises as they should. I don't see any issues with fan speed, pump speed, or overheated temperatures. Just the hiss or high pitch humming when i launch a game.

Where could i check voltage for cooler?

I reinstalled the CL and check for updates and I see that my LED is back on without the flicker but the LED doesnt change color when temperature changes. Just on what looks like a light orange.

Hi,

Clear all Your profiles in CL, and create a new one with proper set-up and linking (CPU cooler temperature linked to CPU cooler fan), pump is Your choice I have it set to Performance mode (no noise from pump). If Your pump gives noticable noise, than please discuss with corsair support (my proposal only). On performance mode should be a bit noisier, but not to much! But if Your pump start to give that bad noise after heating up it means Your MB FAN controller is changing the voltage on the header, raising the voltage. It should NOT do any control, just set to full or disabled. What options You have in the bios for Your fan header?

Hi Datakiller24,

I did clear the profiles i actually deleted my profile. I created a new one the fans to the cpu temperture. But for the pump i only see default mode as an option. But I don't really do anything to the pump. So i left it as is.

Its an asrock MB. Options were customize, quiet, standard, performance, and full speed. My bios cpu fan header was set at full speed. So i changed it to performance mode. Yea the noise level is ok when doing nothing. So launched a game again and the noise still there. I may have to talk to corsair support. But I am going to try to troubleshoot a little more before I do.

Thanks

Hi tanik1,

You should have the setting in the bios:

customize - set to 100% (or highest value)

full speed - this will set the voltage to 12V

I´m a bit confused what SW is changing Your pump speed when You start playing game (heating up), as CL allows to set the pump to quiet or performance mode, no automated RPM regulation. Or it can be caused by the heat? But realy, I can´t give You more help here I think.

BR,

Peter

hi,

Yea, I am not sure myself. I dont think the speed of the pump is changing or maybe the CL is not showing that its changing. The pump speed never show any changes through the CL. But it starts right after the game is launched so I don't think its heat. Cause the heat doesnt just shoot right up. It gradually goes up.

I had it at full speed. I will try customize set at 100% next.

Worst case, I will try to reinstall windows and everything else if all other troubleshooting doesn't reveal the cause of the noise. Then if that doesn't solve it. I will have to talk with tech support.

"Now I am hearing this hissing noise and high pitch noise coming from the pump when i play games."

Had a similar experience sometime ago. Sounded like a whistling teakettle venting under the desk but not as loud. Had bought two surge suppressors and replaced the UPS battery just before it started so was convinced it was one or the other. Turned out to be the adapter for a TPLINK router plugged into one of the surge suppressors. I'm guessing it was a bad electrolytic capacitor.

Hi tanik1,

Just one question. Are You sure it is coming from Your pump? What VGA card You have .. some of these has the problematic "coil whine" sound when they receive load or it can be also Your PSU ... maybe You here that voice from Your case. For example lot of MSI GTX970 and 980 has this issue. I´m running my pump on performance mode always, 2700 RPM and it has just a slight "humming" noise, when case closed I even can´t hear it (would say it´s silent).

BR,

Peter

"Now I am hearing this hissing noise and high pitch noise coming from the pump when i play games."

Had a similar experience sometime ago. Sounded like a whistling teakettle venting under the desk but not as loud. Had bought two surge suppressors and replaced the UPS battery just before it started so was convinced it was one or the other. Turned out to be the adapter for a TPLINK router plugged into one of the surge suppressors. I'm guessing it was a bad electrolytic capacitor.

I will need to see if it could be UPS not giving enough juice?? I could just plug it in the wall directly and see if that makes a difference.

Hi tanik1,

Just one question. Are You sure it is coming from Your pump? What VGA card You have .. some of these has the problematic "coil whine" sound when they receive load or it can be also Your PSU ... maybe You here that voice from Your case. For example lot of MSI GTX970 and 980 has this issue. I´m running my pump on performance mode always, 2700 RPM and it has just a slight "humming" noise, when case closed I even can´t hear it (would say it´s silent).

BR,

Peter

I currently did not have a video card when this happened. And I still do not have one installed right now. I reinstalled windows changed the bios settings. The water pump was taking power from the sata port so I moved it to a dedicated sata that has nothing else connected to it. And tried it again and I am still getting the hiss or whine not sure how to explain the sound. Sounds like its having trouble breathing, you hear the whine or hiss then it stops for a second maybe and starts again.

Hi,

You can attach picture or file when You post a reply in "Go Advanced".

According how Your radiator is installed You should have all air "bubbles" going up to Your radiator (if any air bubble there is), so it will not be the problem. I would recommend You to contact the corsair support with this issue (can be some "jam" in the radiator also ...) I´m sure they have better experience and can help You to solve this issue. I have no other idea what we can check, the troubleshooting has been done, all set properly, SW working properly ...

BR,

Peter

Thanks Datakiller24 for your help.

When you mentioned air bubble. I tried something out. I took out the entire water cooler. I actually shook the block a little bit and tilted the radiator back and forth. Then put it back on the cpu and case. Turned it on and whine up for a bit and then the whine seem to went away. Now it is just a low hissing which i think is normal. Cause I can't hear it when all the fans are going on. Now I don't know if it was the shake I gave it or taking it out moves some bubbles around. Currently as this moment there are no whine or hiss. I just hope that the whine or hiss doesn't come back. But if it does I will just contact support.

THank you.

Archived