Corsair Community

i160, lost ability to maintain temperature

dev_sebas

Hello,

I have an i160 system, bought from Amazon UK in September 2019.

A week ago, early May, the system started to overheat even when not under load (simple tasks), for example open some images (not heavy) and navigating on File Explorer.

normal.thumb.PNG.dfda64fadb3673f25e8eb3257243f75a.PNG

The system lost the ability to increase fan speed automatically, as it would normally do when required. As a software developer, if I want to build some applications and compute something the system flashes red and gets really slow.

To solve this, I have to manually set the Performance to Extreme or Custom on iCue, it works but it lost the ability to trigger the main fan by itself, which is bad. The Default set should automatically increase the fan speed as it would normally do before. It's crazy, as you can see the main fan is always at 0, increasing the temperature to 70´s even on idle. When it eventually gets really hot, it turns the fan during 1-2 seconds and then gets to 0. iCue version is latest, 3.28.70

So, I hope this is a software stuff, and would like to get Corsair´s attention on this. Very similar to MxiSlem´s situation.

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

Hi, thanks for replying

I have uninstalled the latest and installed your version, unfortunately the problem persists. The system cooks itself since it can't even react to high temperatures.

Hope to get a fix for this, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

Hey, thanks for reaching out

Yes, the fans change appropriately then set to extreme or any value defined on custom mode. The problem is the fans do not adjust to the system temperature when required.

I can put on the extreme, but it's overkill since it would only require that type of values when under extreme processing conditions.

Currently I have set on Custom mode at 50 percent (±750 RPMs), which works for 60% for my work, the problem is that when I’m working with more complex task the system won’t trigger the fans in order to dissipate the heat. It should do that by itself, as advertised on iCue (Fan speed may not apply if additionally cooling is required to reduce the temperature.). I have to adjust it myself.

Hope you guys can find a solution for this.

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

• Corsair Employee

Hello Sebastião,

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get more information so that we may be able to solve your problem. You said approximately a week ago was when you started having this problem? Do you remember doing an update that day to iCUE?

Updated to 3.28.75, GPU fan turns automatically when needed. Main fan keeps at 0, until emergency ramp up (just by 2-3 seconds).

Bump, please provide any help.

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

Edited by dev_sebas

Hey Mutts,

Did this occur after updating iCUE to 3.28 as well?

I noticed it after reading this post and checked if I had the same issue, I had already updated to 3.28 so it's certainly possible. "Default" just doesn't seem to do anything with the fan RPM anymore. I let a game run until temps got high and it will go instantly to max RPM eventually when things get hot. But nothing in between. It's definitely fairly recent behavior, and I stay pretty up to date on iCUE in general. Custom and extreme both work.

I noticed it after reading this post and checked if I had the same issue, I had already updated to 3.28 so it's certainly possible. "Default" just doesn't seem to do anything with the fan RPM anymore. I let a game run until temps got high and it will go instantly to max RPM eventually when things get hot. But nothing in between. It's definitely fairly recent behavior, and I stay pretty up to date on iCUE in general. Custom and extreme both work.

Hey, Mutts

Yes, seems we are having the same issue. I believe it's just software, and not something hardware critical. Still, it's annoying the system does not react to temperature and toasts itself.

In my side, custom will work until a certain point, if the system works heavily the custom value won't be enough and it will not push the fan speed higher to adjust as advertised ("Fan speed may not apply if additionally cooling is required to reduce the temperature.").

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

Hello,

I have been working with 3.27.68 and 3.28.75, both have the same issue as I have been explaining on the thread.

3.thumb.PNG.b934507278c6c04ff1cec5fef265a23e.PNG

As seen, the system is on default, the fans are at 0, my CPU coolant is 59 degrees and my CPU is at 79 degrees. Sometimes, the system ramps up the fan and lighting goes red blinking.

Thanks,

Sebastião Rocha

• 2 weeks later...