Corsair Community

10 RGB QL Fans - Need some help setting up

mgivot

Hello, I am new to all this but really needed to build a new machine to handle my workload in my production business. My understanding of building a computer is definitely new. I like many others I am sure also have a slight case of OCD. Here is my question.

I recently had bought RGB ML Fans and a Commander Pro for my Lian Li Dynamic XL but realized that they do not look good in the intake position. So I used those in my old machine and ran out and got 10 of the RGB QL fans. However, I noticed that the setup is a little different. My question is if I plug the CORSAIR Lighting Node CORE (came with the QL 3 Pack) into the available USB hubs of my commander pro will that wok? Lastly, I have a total of 10 fans. I have 12 RGB ports via the 2x CORSAIR Lighting Node CORE, but commander Pro only has room for 6 Fans total? Can I use a splitter and run all 10 or should I get another Commander pro? Any help would be amazing. Thank you.

Yes, the Lighting Node Cores will work connected to the Commander Pro's USB ports.

You can also get/use RGB Fan LED Hubs with the QL-RGB fans and just use the CoPro's Lighting Channels.

As for the 10 fans on the CoPro - that's pushing it. You can try doing that ... no more than 2 on a header ... but we usually recommend no more than 9. That said, I'm running 10 (6 ML and 4 QL) from a single Commander Pro. Another option is to use a powered PWM fan hub for a set of fans that you want to control together. This takes care of the power for the fans.

• 4 months later...
Yes, the Lighting Node Cores will work connected to the Commander Pro's USB ports.

You can also get/use RGB Fan LED Hubs with the QL-RGB fans and just use the CoPro's Lighting Channels.

As for the 10 fans on the CoPro - that's pushing it. You can try doing that ... no more than 2 on a header ... but we usually recommend no more than 9. That said, I'm running 10 (6 ML and 4 QL) from a single Commander Pro. Another option is to use a powered PWM fan hub for a set of fans that you want to control together. This takes care of the power for the fans.

I'm looking for this exact setup... will I be able to run all 10 fans using 2x lighting pro boxes and have them all synced? I understand ill have to double up a couple of fans using splitters

Lian Li Dynamic XL and 10 QL fans? This is my current rig!

I prefered to go with XSPC fan hub instead of Y fan splitters, here is my diagram, hope it helps you:

Ultimo.jpg

The main issue with this configuration is to route carefully the cable into the back part of the case, as it's very narrow compared to the amount of wires it needs:

Retro.jpg

As you can see the situation is very complicated even without PSU cables!

Baio

@the OP

have you read the RGB Faq??

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

like Devbiker i recommend use the RGB Fan LED Hubs... this negates the need to us that USB hub mentioned above. this post.. lets you use the 2 LED Channels and and free's up 2 usb headers...

also...

what cooler do you have? this may change how we set this up....

Edited by Zotty
`

@Baio

thanks for the detailed layout that's amazing and the cable management is a hell of a lot better than my rat nest in the same case so far but one question do all the fans sync up the same as if you were only running 6?

@Baio

thanks for the detailed layout that's amazing and the cable management is a hell of a lot better than my rat nest in the same case so far but one question do all the fans sync up the same as if you were only running 6?

Well, I've set different paths for the 2 LNC, so it's hard to say.

Can someone advice a particular effect I can try to test this thing at best?

And how am I supposed to post a video here? I just posted photos so far... and don't have a youtube account.

Baio

Well, I've set different paths for the 2 LNC, so it's hard to say.

Can someone advice a particular effect I can try to test this thing at best?

And how am I supposed to post a video here? I just posted photos so far... and don't have a youtube account.

Baio

start a youtube account? i use mine for storage and linking to....

• 4 weeks later...

Did u make it work?

My build seems to evolve as well every week lol.

Now I’m thinking of 10 QLs + 4 strips + PSU. I’ve heard from people that they won’t even use a comm pro for the fans but instead plug the fans with splitters to the mobo and use the ligntning node cores for the RGB of the fans.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing that?

Because if I’d do this setup, I doubt I would get away with a single comm pro, even with USB hubs.

EDIT: Now I figured it out lol, I need a pwm hub, is there a specific model you guys suggest?

EDIT2: Is this one correct? I'd need two of those than for my setup.

Edited by ecopsorn

Did u make it work?

My build seems to evolve as well every week lol.

Now I’m thinking of 10 QLs + 4 strips + PSU. I’ve heard from people that they won’t even use a comm pro for the fans but instead plug the fans with splitters to the mobo and use the ligntning node cores for the RGB of the fans.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing that?

Because if I’d do this setup, I doubt I would get away with a single comm pro, even with USB hubs.

EDIT: Now I figured it out lol, I need a pwm hub, is there a specific model you guys suggest?

EDIT2: Is this one correct? I'd need two of those than for my setup.

Well, for sure 10 fans is too much for a single CoPro, the risk is to fry a port.

You can grab one powered hub (like the one you linked, I didn't test it personally, but should work) and then connect the other fans to the CoPro ports (remember with CoPro you can use Y splitters, not 3-ways splitters), or grab 2 hubs if you prefer to control the fans in groups (every hub will be seen by iCue as a single fan).

Baio

Well, for sure 10 fans is too much for a single CoPro, the risk is to fry a port.

You can grab one powered hub (like the one you linked, I didn't test it personally, but should work) and then connect the other fans to the CoPro ports (remember with CoPro you can use Y splitters, not 3-ways splitters), or grab 2 hubs if you prefer to control the fans in groups (every hub will be seen by iCue as a single fan).

Baio

Ok thanks.

I was planning the following:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IN6f8OqDsMxVluZNTDnu5seoCwipcvji/view?usp=sharing

Like this, I can control the Top exhaust fans and the side intake fans as a group (as u said just like one fan). The 3 bottom fans I can control individually if I want as well as the rear. For this scenario to work, I'd need 2 hubs.

Thanks for confirming that the linked hub would work out. It's the only powered hub I could actually find in Switzerland lol.

For USB I also have a 9-PIN hub so I can control 2 Cores, 1 Node Pro and 1 PSU.

What I really wonder though is, if it is possible to get the RGB cycles to work properly, so to light up one fan after the other. But I guess with this setup, that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Let me know if you find anything fishy on my drawing skills

Edited by ecopsorn
pic link not working

Theoretically every powered fan hub should work as there is a limit of current each port of the CoPro can deliver.

Iìm using a couple of those (if you can find it where you live):

https://www.amazon.it/XSPC-way-splitter-Alimentazione-bianco/dp/B07CH248L1

Baio

yeah should do... have come across some that wont.. one of Silverstones doesnt but i can't recall which one.. would have to go and ask in my discord server...

and those XSPC ones are now discontinued. apparently they melted easily lol.. i have 4 in my 1000d and not seen any issues.

Like Zotty said, the one u linked is not available - either discontinued or sold out in my country. So I’m between the two I linked. It seems to me that the first one I linked has additional features that are just unnecessary for the corsair use case and has some plastic around it hehe, but the second one should do the trick as well? It’s 10$ and has SATA so shall I give it a try?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I finally found time to finish the build and as usual, running into some issues. I got it all hooked up now but the fans that go into the commander pro through the hubs are not detected by iCUE.

I see just 4 fans in ICUE where I should see 6. The two missing ones are the two clusters of 2x3. Any idea? Wiring wrong?

Update:

After checking the cabling again, I realized that I forgot to populate the fan1 slots in the Phanteks hub. It needs to be populated to communicate with the mobo.

So after fixing it, I do now see 6 fans in iCUE, but I'm running into another problem that puzzles me:

Here's my setup again:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IN6f8OqDsMxVluZNTDnu5seoCwipcvji/view?usp=sharing

And here is what it looks like in ICUE right now:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xjtVbxm1QD8UOEJmg0_MVbP8kA5PxfQ7/view?usp=sharing

So let me tell you what happens and hopefully you can explain me how to fix it:

1. Rear: Fan doesn't change its RPM, no matter what I set, percentage, fixed RPM, etc.
  2. LowLeft, Low Mid, LowRight = All good, they do what they should do. I can change RPM the way I want
  3. Fan #5: This is the intake cluster one of 3 fans. They do change RPM, but not to the one I set. When I set 0 rpm, they ramp down a bit and than ramp up to 1600 for whatever reason, buggy as hell
  4. Fan#6: This is the exhaust cluster of 3 that behaves the same as Fan#5 cluster

help a buddy out, is the commander pro broken now or what?

Update: I only have problems 3+4 in above post still. The other issues were due to software conflict, but I really think that using the powered fan hub, doesn't let me change the RPM to 0 because there is always some remaining voltage to the commander pro pushed in. Do others have the same with powered hubs?

your fans constantly receive the full 12V, it's normal. They change speed with the PWM signal.

From what i understand, the Phanteks fan hub you use is.. a fan controller.

It has its own electronics onboard, so maybe it creates problems with the speed demand from the copro, or the speed readout.

Strangely enough, the "dumb" PWM hub is more expensive than the controller

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/phanteks-ph-pwhub01-external-8x-fan-controllers-5592898?tagIds=76-526

Thanks for the feedback and the link. That could be about the Phanteks, but I played around with the fan curves a lot today and everything is working as it should except setting zero rpm on the clusters. It does run at the low speed of 600 smoothly though so I just gonna accept it. It’s not like I’d shut down all fans in the case anyway :) - all fams running at 600/650ish is quite enough