Corsair Community

"Real Feel" single SSD vs. RAID-0

I'm not talking about all the number crunching benches to show you how fast they are. I'm just talking about that everyday real use you get from the two setups.

I had a Force 3 drive before my current Neutron GTX RAID-0 setup, and even although the RAID setup hits close to 1GB/sec read transfer in terms of booting, application launch, game load times, etc. It doesn't feel to me like it's that much faster? Or am I delusional? If there is a difference it must be minute when it comes to loading smaller files right?

Settings:

128K strip.

Aligned the partition with 1024 offset.

NTFS 4096 Allocation Format.

SSDs in Raid are for benchmark geeks and those who like to brag about how many SSDs are in their system. As far as real world and gaming performance, there is absolutely no difference in performance using a single vs raid SSDs, in some cases the Raid may even perform worse than a single SSD. Doesn't matter how many SSDs are in a system since it will still be limited to a speed of 600 MBs through SATA 3.

It's a Manufacturer Marketing Tactic to increase Hardware Sales.

Tom's hardware (the oldest and most trusted authority) did extensive research and testing of single SSD vs SSDs in Raid, you will be surprised with the results.

If you're looking for speed and speed alone, i would recommend a PCIe based SSD.

Archived