The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607862
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
CPU-Z shows 1067Mhz @ 9-11-11-31 2T
DDR is Double Data Rate, so you would multiply 1067 x 2 is 2134mhz roughly 2133mhz. They are running right where they should be. Have you added any voltage to VCSSA?

Last edited by peanutz94; 10-15-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607881
Baasha Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Please post a screen shot from the memory and CPU Tab in CPU-Z
Here is the CPU-Z screenshot:

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 607883

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
DDR is Double Data Rate, so you would multiply 1067 x 2 is 2134mhz roughly 2133mhz. They are running right where they should be. Have you added any voltage to VCSSA?
I am aware that the rated speed is correct. My problem is that the computer doesn't boot properly. Once it boots, it seems to run perfectly well. I have done a bunch of diagnostics (SFC /SCANNOW, CHKDSK /R, VIRUS SCAN, etc.) and there were no issues with anything (else). If I put the RAM on Auto (1333Mhz), it boots fine so it is definitely some setting with the RAM.

Yes, the VCCSA voltage is upped by two notches (from 1.10V to 1.11V). Should I increase it more? That would adversely affect the CPU temps right? What about the RAM voltage? It's rated for 1.65V and that's what I've set it as.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 607996
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Running the memory at DDR2133 is an extreme Over clock and may be too much for the CPU you have, can you try and lower the memory frequency to DDR1866 or DDR1600 and see if the system is more reliable?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608051
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Hey RG, the OP bought a set of 2400mhz platinums and found out that they would only run stable at 2133mhz.

So he returned those and bought a set of 2133mhz Platinums and now they wont run 2133mhz like the 2400mhz modules did.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608184
Thumbs down Terrible Customer Service!

Quote:
Running the memory at DDR2133 is an extreme Over clock and may be too much for the CPU you have, can you try and lower the memory frequency to DDR1866 or DDR1600 and see if the system is more reliable?
I just spent $480 on a RAM kit that claims it can run (and run well) at 2133Mhz. I presume you work for Corsair(?).

Are you serious with your daft statement that 2133Mhz is "an extreme overclock"? You advertised the product as being able to run at a certain speed. I, as a paying customer, would expect that means it can run at those speeds with complete stability without much customized tweaking needed. If that is not the case, you are engaging in false advertising. You asked me to post pictures of the CPU-Z screenshot of CPU and Memory tabs and I did. You did not address that at all. Are there settings there that need to be tweaked? As I said before, once the computer boots, it runs great (although the timing is 9-11-11-31 instead of the advertised 9-9-9-24). I just can't get it to boot properly and it is most definitely the RAM. There has to be some setting in the BIOS that can fix this - voltage or something.

I spent $325 on the 2400Mhz 16GB kit and that did NOT run at the rated 2400Mhz properly; the computer was not stable.

I now spent $480 on the 32GB 2133Mhz kit and it too is not running properly as advertised. I can't get the computer to boot properly. And you're sitting there saying it's an "extreme overclock"? If I am going to run this kit at 1600Mhz, why did I pay $480? Please refund me the amount less the price of the 1600Mhz 32GB CAS9 kit.

If you cannot help me, again, a paying customer, resolve this issue, get your manager/supervisor to help me. I need to resolve this ASAP and get my computer running like it's supposed to.

Last edited by Baasha; 10-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608191
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

your CPU only officially supports 1066 ram http://ark.intel.com/products/52585/...specifications
did you try clearing the bios and just enable XMP? what settings does it use?
and yes, anything over 1333 is an XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile)
maybe the 45x100 setting is not the way to go?
im just curious at this point as to what settings are loaded when you just enable XMP in the bios.
i understand your frustration, i really do. we are just trying to help, not aggravate you i swear!

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 608203
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baasha View Post
Are you serious with your daft statement that 2133Mhz is "an extreme overclock"? .
Please calm down a bit and allow people to assist you. There's no call for insults here.

Read what was actually posted above by RAM GUY. 2133 and 2400 are both extreme overclocks of the memory controller, not of the memory. We DO in fact guarantee that 2133 memory will run 2133 and 2400 will run 2400, etc. However, there is no guarantee from anyone, including Intel who manufactures your CPU, that your CPU can do this. We have no control over what your CPU can do.

Also, take a close look at what you have done here. You verified that your 2400 kit would not run 2400 but that it was stable at 2133 WITH 2 MODULES. But, when you tried to run 4 modules at 2133, it's not stable.

This is perfectly logical. No CPU/IMC can run 4 modules at the same speed that it can run 2 modules. It's twice the electrical load and stress on the memory controller.

This is why people are suggesting to you that you try a lower memory frequency to see what your CPU/IMC is capable of.

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 10-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608560

I apologize for stating my displeasure but the answer RAMGuy posted was not helping me with my situation.

I did not buy these RAM kits to run at a slower speed. Since the 3930K, according to Intel, is rated for 1600Mhz, yes, 2133Mhz is considered an "OC" but on an X79 system, it is not crazy.

Plus, the system runs fine at 2133mhz ONCE IT BOOTS! I need help in fine-tuning the system to get everything to work properly; at this time, the RAM is causing the system not to boot correctly.

It could be the particular OC (45x100 as stated but that OC is rock solid for me). It could be some voltage setting. I was always running 4 modules - for both the 2400mhz kit and the one I have now, the 2133mhz kit. I don't think the IMC is being overloaded with just 4 of the 8 DIMMs being populated.

Anyway, what are some other things I can/should do to get the system to boot well? Again, the only issue here is the system not booting properly. Once it boots, it's buttery smooth. Just now I had to restart about 4 times before it booted properly; the monitors just go sleep and nothing happens, the system just sits there. I had to hard-reset and it did the same thing 3 more times. On the fifth try, it booted fine. What gives?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608562
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

just to try, remove the battery for 5 minutes, put it back in and reflash the bios to the latest, even if its the same version. then reset to factory defaults and try to boot. if successful just enable XMP (for this test) likely profile 2 or 3 if you have that option and see if it boots properly. if so try your settings but i still think you will get a faster speed with a lower multiplier and a higher bus. this has been proven many times with benchmarks.
for the same 4.5 you can try 34x133 or 27x166.
a higher multiplier makes the "tunnel" bigger but with a low bus speed (100) you are just sending a couple small cars through the tunnel. a higher bus will surely improve performance and may even solve your booting stability.

also my bloodiron allows me to set stock 2.4 speed at bootup and right before the OS loads it puts the full 9x400 for my 50% overclock. does your board offer that?

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 10-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 608565

Lets put this another way and hope that it makes it easier to relate in your case.
Intel Builds some extra margin in their CPU to allow for age and performance tricks like XMP and Intel Speed Step and of course other margins they cannot control such as memory memory loading (IE 1, 2 or 4 modules) there is more loading on the memory and the CPU and the memory controller as you add more physical modules to the system. With the later chipsets the memory controller was moved into or part of the CPU to decrease the latency and provide better control over performance and reliability. However, the margins that you can attain will be shared and directly correlate to each other. In other words if you over clock by changing the multiplier and say the top end you can get will be 4.5 Ghz as an example you will limit the Memory frequency you can set because the memory frequency will be based on a direct divider off of the CPU Host clock. And max memory frequency you can attain and have the system be stable will be less for the memory than the CPU in this case. Where as if you lower the Divider to say 35 and over clock the frequency the ratio that the memory divider cannot be changed but the frequency it can run at will be higher because of the higher CPU Clock.
I would so some research on some of the over clocking sites and see how people are getting to the O.C.'s they get and you will start to see a compromise between CPU Clock and Multiplier and memory frequency.

I am not allowed to tell you how to over clock a system for obvious reasons but we can answer a direct question and will.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 AM
HU16E's PC Specs

POST ID # = 608627
HU16E Reputation: 10

RG tells the truth, & today I proved what he said is true. Z77 with 3770k @ 45X, RAM @ 2800 will not reach stability for any performance tests, although it does boot every time. As soon as the CPU speed was reduced to 44X, stable as the rock of Gibraltar! There is a direct connection between CPU IMC, CPU speed, & RAM speed.

Personally, if it were my system, I would have stuck with the 2400's & let them run @ 2133. Reason, usually the higher rated RAM sticks give you a little more wiggle room at a lower setting to even meet or exceed the rated speeds performance. How? By tighter timings & possibly Command Rate change from CR 2 to 1 often at a lower DRAM V. than the 'rated' voltage requires.

These are so many variables in everyone's systems & components, results will vary a great deal. I have nothing but high praise for the Platinum series. Not a problem of any kind with a bunch of different kits tested. X58's, P67's B3, Z68's B3 & G3, Z77's, & X79's, didn't matter. All the mainboards used were MSI with up-to-date UEFI/BIOS's.

It is unfortunate your system has given you so much trouble, but everyone here wants nothing more than to help you & give the best advice they can. I wish I had your system in front of me to work with you on it, but don't, so can only offer suggestions & recommendations. It would take hours to describe all the testing & benchmarking I have done, but I can summarize it by saying that RAM speed is rather low in performance spectrum to what CPU speed can gain for you.

Reading the Intel Datasheets & Design Guides to find the limits of the CPU & 7 chipset voltages may help. SA, I/O are RAM related, PLL for OC of the CPU.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Baasha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 609172

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've been able to replicate the issue every single time now for the past several days.

When I shutdown the computer and turn it back on, the problem occurs; the Windows logo comes on and after a couple of seconds the three monitors just go to sleep (orange light) and the system just sits there. I hard reset the computer and it boots fine but now Surround doesn't work; only the center monitor comes up. I have to go into NVCP and redo the whole Surround setting thing and it's back to normal.

However, this is happening EVERY time I turn the computer on and it's the same pattern.

There are two possibilities here.

1.) The NVidia drivers are causing some conflict and there is some signal issue where the monitors just go to sleep and the computer doesn't boot.

OR

2.) The Corsair ForecGT 120GB SSDs (2x RAID0) where I have the OS installed still have the previous firmware (5.02 I think) and that could be causing boot issues. I have to remove them to flash them to the new firmware and I've been putting that off since it's a hassle. Perhaps flashing it to the latest firmware might fix it(?).

Once the system boots, it runs perfectly. So, I am not entirely sure if the RAM is indeed the culprit here.

Anyway, I will update the firmware on the SSDs and let you guys know how it goes.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 609180

Quote:
1.) The NVidia drivers are causing some conflict and there is some signal issue where the monitors just go to sleep and the computer doesn't boot.

OR

2.) The Corsair ForecGT 120GB SSDs (2x RAID0) where I have the OS installed still have the previous firmware (5.02 I think) and that could be causing boot issues. I have to remove them to flash them to the new firmware and I've been putting that off since it's a hassle. Perhaps flashing it to the latest firmware might fix it(?).
You can try this to help isolate the issue, use www.memtest.org to Boot the system that will take the HDD and the Nvidia drivers out of the equation.
And make sure it boots and loads memtest.org smoothly on every boot.
If it does then you know the issue is either the Boot drive or drives or the Nvidia drivers. And you can easily test that by uninstalling the driver from Nvidia

Tags
corsair, dominator, platinum, problems