Corsair Community

$$$ Cooling agent for Canadians..eh!

kared

I decided to stock up on some hydrocool coolant (no particular reason just preparing for next years cleanout), so I went to zipzoomfly.com as suggested (I live in Canada) and went to order a bottle of "official hydrocool additive"...... The bottle is listed here [url]http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=375002[/url] Its $10.99 (expensive) but I decided to order some anyway. Then I looked at their shipping rates to Canada.............. They only offer UPS Expedited shipping to Canada (no other) and they want an "anal wrenching" $49.00 US in shipping costs to ship it to me! This is completely outrageous......I'll end up paying $60.00US for the coolant.........that works out to approx. $80.00 Canadian for a small bottle of coolant! There are TONS of places to buy the Hydrocool in Canada, yet no Canadian vendors I've emailed will ship in the coolant additave (they usually tell me to phone Corsair or use zipzoomfly.com lol......). This is going to be a a BIG problem for Canadians when they go to clean out their Hydrocools in the future. I've looked for a propylene glycol based coolant in my area and no places (even speciality car shops) carry it...... Anyone have any suggestions here or know of a Canadian vendor who ships the coolant addative? COOLERGUY I've seen you recommend zipzoomfly as the place to get coolant on this forum - there got to be a better place than this lol! Thanks! Kared _________________________________________________________________________ CPU: 3.0c @ 3.6ghz - 5:4 @1.65V MOBO: Asus P4C800-Dlx RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75V VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 402/405 (BIOS 113-A07518-100 8/29/03) SOUND: Audigy 2 w/6.1 Speakers HDD: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0) POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge) TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load

hello, i dont work for corsair, allthough im still waiten on them to contact me for employment, lols. but seriously i asked the"coolant question" and auto antifreeze, mixed at 50% 50% with distilled water is fine, i have been runnin my hydro-cool for about 6 months now, and it works just great, with no trobles. and i have a P-4 3.2Ghz runnin at 28c. these water coolers use the same concept as your car, in the way it gets rid of the heat. peace, the monk out....

Get Sierra brand antifreeze. It is the same composition (propylene glycol) as the Hydrocool additive. It's available at Walmart in the US...and possibly at the below Canadian stores. "Wal-Mart entered Canada in 1994 with the acquisition of 122 Woolco stores. The company currently operates 216 discount department stores and employs more than 52,000 associates across Canada. Each discount store houses more than 70,000 products and a wide range of specialty services. In October 2003, Wal-Mart Canada opened 4 SAM'S CLUBS in Ontario, the first SAM'S CLUBS to open in the country. " Check Canadian Tire too...good luck. Post back if you locate it so others will know.

HarryC: Sounds good. I'll check out my local Walmart and Canadian Tire store and let you know how I make out re: Sierra antifreeze. Cheers, Kared _________________________________________________________________________ CPU: 3.0c @ 3.6ghz - 5:4 @1.65V MOBO: Asus P4C800-Dlx RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75V VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 402/405 (BIOS 113-A07518-100 8/29/03) SOUND: Audigy 2 w/6.1 Speakers HDD: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0) POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge) TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kared [/i] [B]HarryC: Sounds good. I'll check out my local Walmart and Canadian Tire store and let you know how I make out re: Sierra antifreeze. Cheers, Kared _________________________________________________________________________ [/B][/QUOTE] Ok thanks, and good luck. I found out today that NAPA parts stores in the US also carry it. Got a gallon today for $10 US. I figure that's good for 10 years maybe:). LOL.

Well I went to 2 Walmart's in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Unforunately the don't carry the Sierra brand at Walmart in Canada (at least this part of Canada anyway). They carry some Canadian companies brand called "Tech 2000", which is the traditional TOXIC ethyol based solution. But GOOD NEWS! I went over to Canadian Tire (aka "Crappy Tire" for my fellow Canuks), and they carry the Prestone brand of antifreeze called "Low Tox" which is propylene glycol based! And to make matters even better its only $11 for 4 LITRES of it! Apparently Prestone brand is also big in the US too, so if anyone out there can't find the Sierra brand in their area, just pickup some Prestone Low Tox instead. There are NAPA stores in my area of Canada too, but I didn't bother checking them out once I found the low tox at "Crappy Tire". Hope this helps, and thanks guys for the suggestions/help ($11.00 Canadian cost for 4 Litres is ALOT better than ~$80.00 Canadian for 150ml bottle of the same stuff lol). Kared _________________________________________________________________________ CPU: 3.0c @ 3.6ghz - 5:4 @1.65V MOBO: Asus P4C800-Dlx RAM: 2x512mb Corsair PC3500 XMS 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75V VCARD: ATI Radeon 9800PRO 402/405 (BIOS 113-A07518-100 8/29/03) SOUND: Audigy 2 w/6.1 Speakers HDD: 2x120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA (Raid 0) POWER: 520Watt Vantec Stealth COOLING: Corsair Hydrocool 200 Water Cooled (CPU), MCX159 (N-bridge) TEMPS: 27c Idle / 36c Full Load

hey, kared, im glad ya found the coolant you were lookin for, like i said i use plain ole toxic car anti-freeze, with no trobles, and mr.cool guy recomender it also, it aint no big deal, as it is just to cool the cpu, better than air, peace, and good luck, up ther in canook land, lols, im from mi. myself.

In an automobile, the toxic vs. non-toxic type of anti-freeze is more of a price / preference issue. For use inside a computer within an occupied living space, it really makes more sense to use the non-toxic propylene glycol variety additive. This is particularly important if you have young children or pets who won't know that it can harm them. KK

• 1 month later...
Kooler King, I agree with being safe with the children. My 10 month old will put anything into her mouth. She can surprise me at times by taking things apart. I would not put it past her to pop off a quick-disconnect on the HydroCool and place it in her mouth. Even though very little drips out, glycol is sweet to the taste. The toxic glycol can make a person blind, or even cause death. So, I'll stay with the safer stuff being polypropylene glycol. ;): Not only is the HydroCool a great product, but Corsair also kept safety in mind. Way to go guys! Stev PS, here is a picture of the safe stuff and the MSDS saftety sheet from their website. :p: Besides, most RV class A and C people use this coolant due to animals and children at the camp sites or back country. :!:

Archived