Corsair Community

12GBs of Vengeance and Rampage III problems

Merc

Finished building the following system and am now tweaking things.

The system is running great and the CPU overclocks nicely on low Vcore but the memory is not keeping up. It won't run at 800MHz even with 3T 99924 set at 1.60v Vdimm. Best I have been able to get to is 667MHz . There is a ******** fan on the memory as well. Case is well ventilated and CPU

I have been overclocking for years but this is my first 1366 socket effort so maybe I am missing something.

Hmmmm...

You're running a triple channel CPU with 12 GB. of RAM, that's designed to officially support 1066 MHz. (533 MHz x 2). So far you've been successful running the RAM overclocked at 667 MHz. x 2 for 1333 MHz. actual and you're upset that the CPU won't run the 12 GB. of RAM OC'd to 1600 MHz.? Perhaps you're expecting too much from your CPU or maybe you need to increase the QPI voltage? Heat is not the only limiting factor for a CPU/RAM.

The link below may be of use?

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Hmmmm...

You're running a triple channel CPU with 12 GB. of RAM, that's designed to officially support 1066 MHz. (533 MHz x 2). So far you've been successful running the RAM overclocked at 667 MHz. x 2 for 1333 MHz. actual and you're upset that the CPU won't run the 12 GB. of RAM OC'd to 1600 MHz.? Perhaps you're expecting too much from your CPU or maybe you need to increase the QPI voltage? Heat is not the only limiting factor for a CPU/RAM.

The link below may be of use?

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

So it is your contention that I should be happy that a Rampage III motherboard, designed to run memory at speeds far in excess DDR3-1600, sporting a CPU that can run at 4,000MHz, can't get RAM sold as DDR3-1600 to run faster than 667MHz? You are saying that all of this systems out there running their memory at DDR3-1600 are miracle machines?

Your attitude is neither appropriate nor constructive.

The CPU frequency and RAM frequency capabilities of the CPU are different. You seem to not understand what your CPU supports vs. what some folks may get running 6 GB. of RAM vs. 12 GB. RAM. The RAM is capable of running at up to 1600 MHz. but that does not mean your CPU will run it at that speed as it's only guaranteed to run RAM @ 1066 MHz. 1600 MHz. is a 50% OC. When it comes to overclocking nothing is guaranteed. The more RAM you have the more work for the IMC. That is why I suggested increasing the QPI voltage which is different from the vcore voltage.

The link I posted should help you if you actually want help.

Finished building the following system and am now tweaking things.

The system is running great and the CPU overclocks nicely on low Vcore but the memory is not keeping up. It won't run at 800MHz even with 3T 99924 set at 1.60v Vdimm. Best I have been able to get to is 667MHz . There is a ******** fan on the memory as well. Case is well ventilated and CPU

I have been overclocking for years but this is my first 1366 socket effort so maybe I am missing something.

I cannot believe the answer you got...

Vengence is rated at 1600-1866...you should be able to get there. I ran 12gb dominators at 1600. I don't recommend your vdimm at 1.6, vengence only recommends 1.5. Have you run memtest86+ 4.10? Try xmp? What multipliers and dividers have you tried? Try a 2:12?

OP had no attitude either...

"trackrat" is a funny guy. Almost all his post are "Intel CPU spec is 1066 for the memory" and that "you maybe expecting too much from your 1600mhz ram"

Rampage III with Corsair Vengeance memory and I would expect no less than 1600mhz. Matter of fact I would shoot for 1800+ with tight timing.

This review got 2030mhz.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1083/pg6/corsair-vengeance-ddr3-1600mhz-12gb-kits-review-overclocking.html

OP absolutely had no attitude!

• 3 weeks later...

I had problems getting my similar kit of memory to work with this board. Here is how I did it.

XMP profile did not work. Use manual settings instead.

Timings 9-9-9-24-1T and tRFC should be set to 88. It is likely at 86 right now. Set your Ram Speed to DDR3 1600 and your Uncore Frequency to 3200MHz.

Keep the memory at 1.5v. Boost your QPI/DRAM voltage to around 1.25v.

Should run like a dream once you do all that :)

Run 8 instances of HCI Memtest at the same time with each instance using ~1200MB of Memory. Let it run for at least 8 hours or so.

Run Intel Burn Test too at the maximum stress setting. This test will not take too long to do.

If your system can pass that, then you're pretty well stable.

Archived