Corsair Community

Crash and fear

Steiner-KD

Corsair was my first SSD and I love it to death so now I fear its soon demise.

I have been running a SSD raid 0 as my boot drive and it's been smooth (fast) sailing.

The other night while gaming my computer suddenly bluescreened and when it rebooted I got a raid fail :( Turns out the other (and brand new) SSD had died completely (other brand) without any warning or obvious reason, I also had problems with my corsair but it 'came back' and now seems to work. That is, with one exception, for some reason it now takes ages to detect in bios.

Anyone have a clue what's going on there and if it might be possible to fix it? Is my SSD dying and this is a first sign?

it may still have the RAID signature on it, did you rebuild the raid with another drive? can you see it in the RAID BIOS? does it still have a RAID volume tag? this may be the problem. you might be able to release the drive from the RAID portion of your bios if that is the case. you may even try a different port that the RAID was on to see if it is detected faster.

it may still have the RAID signature on it, did you rebuild the raid with another drive? can you see it in the RAID BIOS? does it still have a RAID volume tag? this may be the problem. you might be able to release the drive from the RAID portion of your bios if that is the case. you may even try a different port that the RAID was on to see if it is detected faster.

OK, let's see so I get it all :) (Thanks for the fast response).

I deleted the raid as one drive was dead and the other under suspicion. I can see it in bios and in raid controller marked as not member. It shows up and works in windows but will NOT show in any Windows installer. I have had it on 3 different ports with the same result. Disk works but is very very slow to detect (in bios at startup, it delays the boot by about 20-30 secs, not much irl really, but still a worry).

Turns out there is one newer BIOS out (I think I actually downgraded previously as my current bios was recommended when experimenting with a Hackintosh setup). Will update bios and Intel raid driver, but as the drive was detected fine two days ago and only started this slow detection (drive detection in bios at boot) after the crash I'm not sure how much difference the bios make, but it's worth a shot.

Well, re-flashed latest bios and made sure Intel raid drivers where the latest. Bios still gets stuck on the SSD waiting for it to detect for some time before boot continues (possibly a marginal difference, but not sure it was noticeable). Ran Atto again and got pretty much identical result.

Since I'm not sure I can trust the drive it's relegated to Readyboost and pagefile duty for now.

Grabbed a smart tool for good measure, it looks good to me (but then again I don't know what to look for). (BTW, any suggestion on a free and good smart util?).

http://www.tifozi.net/img/smart.png

Archived