Corsair Community

Sierra2Service prevents booting into Safe Mode

JayJay68

After much troubleshooting, I finally found out why I couldn't boot into Safe Mode in Windows 7. The computer would reboot just before entering Safe Mode.

Only way to enter Safe Mode for me is stopping and disabling Sierra2Service before rebooting.

Does anyone else have this problem?

(Corsair Link v2.1.1)

JayJay

Another thing you should look in to:

Sierra2Service is preventing any external USB HDD from safely being ejected before removal.

Here is the warning Event ID 225:

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CorsairLink 2\SierraService.exe with process id 2620 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_174C&PID_55AA\0123456789ABCDEF0124.

JayJay

After much troubleshooting, I finally found out why I couldn't boot into Safe Mode in Windows 7. The computer would reboot just before entering Safe Mode.

Only way to enter Safe Mode for me is stopping and disabling Sierra2Service before rebooting.

Does anyone else have this problem?

(Corsair Link v2.1.1)

JayJay

Me too. Had BSODs caused by Sierra2Service already. And yes, could not enter safe mode after bluescreen and couldn't find the reason.

That is why I made a clean reinstall of win 7 64. :roll:

And I will not install the link tool/ Sierra2 Service until this issue is definitely ironed out.

I had a lot of problems since AX1200i which I hadn't before.

• Administrators

Try v2.1.7 (just came out): http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111405

For anyone who has previously downloaded and installed any version of Corsair Link Dashboard V2 (2.1.1) please uninstall the current version of the software from the control panel and either reboot your machine or delete the (\Program Files\Corsair\CorsairLink 2) folder before installing this new version.

Try v2.1.7 (just came out): http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111405

For anyone who has previously downloaded and installed any version of Corsair Link Dashboard V2 (2.1.1) please uninstall the current version of the software from the control panel and either reboot your machine or delete the (\Program Files\Corsair\CorsairLink 2) folder before installing this new version.

Hmm, this links leads to "CorsairLinkInstall" whereas previous versions were named "Corsai_Link_V2".

So, is this software identical? Is it especially for AX1200i or only the normal CorsairLink software? I thought V2 is for AX1200i solely.

I mean anyhow I won't install this until it's crystal clear that there are no bugs in it anymore.

The installer was always named "CorsairLinkInstall". not sure where you got Corsair_Link_V2 from.

The software is for the AXi PSUs, Corsair LINK and the H80i/H100i.

ChangeLog

Version 2.1.7

Added better naming for CPU devices

Removed superfluous "Version" and "Channel" info from devices

Logging "spam" is gone

Cleaned up obsolete UI items

Changed generic system names to use "Intel", etc

Improved Uninstall

Embedded font no longer requires font to be installed

Sierra2Service no longer starts if booted into safe mode

A few more "null reference" bugs fixed

H80i/H100i bootloader integrated

Support for Commander and H80i/H100i (no support for dual Commanders)

Added ‘Default’ mode in fan control for H80i and H100i

I tested 2.1.7 and it works fine. Though i haven't tested Safe Mode yet.

Hi Toasted, do you own AX1200i, can't see this in your specs? The problems here with SierraService happened with AX1200i. Maybe other PSUs are affected as well, haven't read other postings yet.

The problem were some BSODs related to SierraService where you can't boot in safe mode anymore, the system just starts in normal mode and F8 doesn't help.

I had to reinstall my OS unfortunately.

• 3 months later...

I have just installed the newest version of Corsair Link v2 and still have problems booting into safe mode. I can only boot to safe mode if I disable Sierra2Service. Is there a fix yet?

G

We are looking into this and we will have a newer version soon that should correct this.

I know you said there will be a new version soon that will fix the problems,but you said this on 10-31-2012 it is Feb 2013 now and this still hasn't been fixed,there is a lot of people with various problems with this Sierra2Service.exe including myself regarding safely ejecting a harddrive.

How long is soon supposed to take,surely not the life of the product.

I also got this phenomenon. I'm almost to the point where I think Corsair Link is worse than malware. I was getting the BSODs because of the Corsair Link 2.2 and the Intel RSTe 3.5 driver discrepancy problem and tried to boot into safe mode to troubleshoot and sure enough, couldn't do it. It would just restart back into normal mode.

I've removed Corsair Link and now avoid it like the plague. Part of the whole reason I wanted Corsair was for Link. Sucks that it is unusable.

Archived