Corsair Community

4000x - additional iCUE fans

schoenzy

Hi all,

I've been doing a bunch of research on the new 4000x case and iCUE in general to try figure out what 120mm fan to add to the back given there is an included node core with the case. I'll be using my H115i RGB cooler top mounted but the fans are not RGB which is fine (for now;): ). From what I understand, typical SP120 RGB pro fans cannot be used with ML, QL etc. on the same node core. That said, the fans included with the 4000x iCUE RGB are SP120 Elite, and after digging, are actually PWM fans, so are a new fan altogether and different from what people normally refer to as the "SP" fans (also Corsair, why would you call em SP, I'm sure I'm not the only person confused by this). With that, would any other fan work with the included node core in this case and the front fans?

Note if you're worried about my current specs, this will be for a rebuild with upgrade to zen3. I already have LPX RAM ready so the top mount should fit fine.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by schoenzy

Well ... you can put other fans on there (LL, HD, etc) and get them to work but you won't be able to configure the LNC correctly in iCUE. As a result, effects would be off and likely quite funky in some cases.

It's odd that the fans aren't available separately. That does make it difficult to add to them.

Well ... you can put other fans on there (LL, HD, etc) and get them to work but you won't be able to configure the LNC correctly in iCUE. As a result, effects would be off and likely quite funky in some cases.

It's odd that the fans aren't available separately. That does make it difficult to add to them.

Thanks. My guess is they'll be for sale soon given it seems this case is part of a major product line up release (new cpu coolers as well) and to my knowledge SP RGB Elite have not been on any previous cases, but it would make things much easier for people if they were released the same time...

At the very least they need to be way clearer in terms of compatibility with the default case fans and node. I'm not even sure SP120 pros would work

After finally finding a review on mmorpg that installed a LL120 as exhaust, I can confirm that other fan types won't work. It didn't even light up period.

Quote from review:

"The iCUE 4000-series comes equipped with the iCUE Lightning Node Core smart control module, but it does have one fatal flaw. The module only seems to recognize fans within one product family. This is great news if you have other SP RGB Elite fans."

Given the SP RGB Elite is not for sale at this time, there's no great news lol. The question remains - will the SP120 RGB Pro work?

I made an account to follow this discussion. The only thing stopping me from getting this case is I can't figure out what fans would be compatible to use as exhaust.

Welcome. Yup, I made an account just to ask about this too lol. For now I'm just going to use my existing non RGB fans from my carbide and h115i until I get some clear direction. The other thing I'm considering is the 2xML140 pack with node pro and 1x ML120 for the back to handle those separately, but in Canada that combo will cost me $200 which seems absolutely ridiculous just for 3 fans...

As an update, for the sake of science and the community, I went ahead and got an extra SP120 RGB Pro and 2xML140 RGB kit for my 115i and can confirm the SP120 RGB Pro works with the included node core and SP120 RGB Elites with the 4000x

https://i.imgur.com/FiQRLBi.jpeg

Edited by Technobeard
pic too big; changed to link

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon this thread and glad I did before I start this build.

I have the following:

icue 4000x RGB Case in White

Corsair Hydro Serries H1000iRGB Platinum SE White

So based off of this thread is my fans won’t work correct with the node since they are different models? If not what do I have to replace to make sure everything is insync?

Thanks,

Greg

After finally finding a review on mmorpg that installed a LL120 as exhaust, I can confirm that other fan types won't work. It didn't even light up period.

Quote from review:

"The iCUE 4000-series comes equipped with the iCUE Lightning Node Core smart control module, but it does have one fatal flaw. The module only seems to recognize fans within one product family. This is great news if you have other SP RGB Elite fans."

Given the SP RGB Elite is not for sale at this time, there's no great news lol. The question remains - will the SP120 RGB Pro work?

Just thought I'd add my own experiences to this thread. I built my new 3700X PC a few weeks ago around a 4000X as well in white.

I added an LL120 to the back as an exhaust and can confirm that while the LL120 & the 3 included SP RGB Elites up front all light up, it's next to impossible to get any of the sequential RGB effects to work properly. I think it's down to the fact that the iCue Lighting Node Core module that's supplied with the 4000X will not work properly if different fan types are attached.

The two rainbow effects & setting a static colour (my preferred effect) work fine (see included picture), but anything requiring a sequence don't work properly as there's no way to arrange the fan sequences correctly in the iCue app.

I have an H100i Elite Capellix incoming, so I'm hoping the included Commander Core module will make different fan types play nice together, but I'm not holding my breath. In hindsight, I should've gotten an ML120 for the exhaust so at least that would work with the 2x ML120's in the H100i bundle, but I got sucked in to the additional light ring the LL120's have lol...

Excuse the cable mess around the Wraith cooler. I'll be cable managing properly once I get the H100i :) Contemplating on getting some sleeved cables too.

20201102_100901.thumb.jpg.6d99493d7a4c85e67df47d5736c3c7c0.jpg

Edited by RevoWution

I just stumbled upon this thread and glad I did before I start this build.

I have the following:

icue 4000x RGB Case in White

Corsair Hydro Serries H1000iRGB Platinum SE White

So based off of this thread is my fans won’t work correct with the node since they are different models? If not what do I have to replace to make sure everything is insync?

Thanks,

Greg

It wont be perfectly in sync, but the ML are closer to SP in terms of LED arrangement than something with rings. Also, if you top mount the radiator, you won't really see the fans unless you look at an angle, so the difference won't be apparent. See my attached photo for what it looks like with the ML fans on top mounted rad and SP case fans

https://imgur.com/FiQRLBi

https://i.imgur.com/nG1UThf.jpg

It wont be perfectly in sync, but the ML are closer to SP in terms of LED arrangement than something with rings. Also, if you top mount the radiator, you won't really see the fans unless you look at an angle, so the difference won't be apparent. See my attached photo for what it looks like with the ML fans on top mounted rad and SP case fans

Thanks for the update. I just ordered a 4000X and the Corsair Hydro H115i 280mm Platinum RGB and Didn't know what fan to get for the exhaust. I got the SP 120 Pro as it looks pretty good with the rest of the build. Did it just plug into the node that came with the case?

Thanks for the update. I just ordered a 4000X and the Corsair Hydro H115i 280mm Platinum RGB and Didn't know what fan to get for the exhaust. I got the SP 120 Pro as it looks pretty good with the rest of the build. Did it just plug into the node that came with the case?

Yup! And because it's the same as the front fans, synced effects look good, and again, the MLs that come with the H115i sort of blend in given the angle

Note I just installed the h115i with new x570 tomahawk this past Friday as I got my 5800x, and the clearance was incredibly tight with the height of the rear IO heat shield. So close I couldn't actually line up all the screws. I had to install on an angle, and use 4 screws just in the middle 4. Not at all ideal. So while 240mm rad is rated to work, and lined up fine with my old mobo with much smaller rear VRM heatsink, it's very tight with newer motherboards

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I'd add my own experiences to this thread. I built my new 3700X PC a few weeks ago around a 4000X as well in white.

I added an LL120 to the back as an exhaust and can confirm that while the LL120 & the 3 included SP RGB Elites up front all light up, it's next to impossible to get any of the sequential RGB effects to work properly. I think it's down to the fact that the iCue Lighting Node Core module that's supplied with the 4000X will not work properly if different fan types are attached.

The two rainbow effects & setting a static colour (my preferred effect) work fine (see included picture), but anything requiring a sequence don't work properly as there's no way to arrange the fan sequences correctly in the iCue app.

I have an H100i Elite Capellix incoming, so I'm hoping the included Commander Core module will make different fan types play nice together, but I'm not holding my breath. In hindsight, I should've gotten an ML120 for the exhaust so at least that would work with the 2x ML120's in the H100i bundle, but I got sucked in to the additional light ring the LL120's have lol...

Excuse the cable mess around the Wraith cooler. I'll be cable managing properly once I get the H100i :) Contemplating on getting some sleeved cables too.

Did the commander core help with the different types of fans? I recently got this case was wonder about the exhaust fan as well. But it seems like only the SP and LL seem to the only choice. I was looking at the QL initially.. but if it won’t talk to the node that comes with it, I might just go with the LL then. Unless the commander core can override that all? Plan on putting the H115i setup too.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup! And because it's the same as the front fans, synced effects look good, and again, the MLs that come with the H115i sort of blend in given the angle

Been thinking about getting the 4000x myself and was also concerned about getting matching fans for the top and back. Does the SP RGB PRO sync perfectly on all effects with the included front fans?

Did you install the commander core? Does the CC let you plug in different model fans? I’ve got a bunch of questions posted here very much related to this.https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202234

Edited by macg3nius

Did you install the commander core? Does the CC let you plug in different model fans? I’ve got a bunch of questions posted here very much related to this.https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202234

Unfortunately not yet. I still don't even have my H100i unit... :(

All the retailers here in Australia have pushed back their ETA's multiple times. The most recent ETA is February 2021...

I believe you will be able to plug in different fan types into the Commander Core, but for now, they will have to be treated as a single fan type in iCue. According to a Corsair rep on Reddit though, they're in the process of updating iCue so you'll be able to control different fan types with the CoCo & iCue.

Edited by RevoWution

• 1 month later...

What monitors do you have in your bottom picture? - especially the one that is vertical orientated?

• 2 years later...

Why don’t you guys use the cos air Ron controller that comes with the h115i icue? It works with any of the icue fans no matter what model. The egg ci troller that comes with the 4000x case I took out and is crap.