Corsair Community

Force GT 120 GB goes missing...

Conners

I have had this drive for about a year and a half and are using the latest firmware 5.03.

Recently when I use System Mechanic to optimize the drive it just hangs. (good idea?) Then on reboot it says something about missing OS. Reminder it has never done this until recently. In the bios it gone until I reload optimized defaults save then load my saved profile of 4.5GHz. Works fine till I use SM lol... One would think its SM but I also use it on an OCZ SSD without problems.

Ideas?

Once you reload your optimized defaults in the BIOS, the drive works fine?
That is correct...

BTW I noticed I posted this in the sub forum instead of the main forum for ssds...so if a moderator wants to move it I'm fine with that. Also I updated my PC Specs...

I used to have a similar problem but a firmware update fixed it. i'm not sure which firmware i'm running now, or what the latest is.

I wonder if reflashing the firmware might help

Might give that a shot...

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Yes I have the latest beta bios installed....F8j I might even go back to an earlier version to see if it sill does the disappearing act...

Contact the people who make System Mechanic and see if they know anything about it.

It doesn't sound like a problem with the SSD if it works fine after reloading the BIOS settings.

I have contacted SM and they are looking into it from their side.

Also I was going to try out one of the suggestions on re-flashing the SSD, but when I run the update tool to scan drive it doesn't find it...Humm

I tried various versions of the Sniper3 bios with same results... I wonder if the 1.1 updater tool is still not compatible with Z77 boards, chipsets, seems like I read that somewhere on here. Well unless I was dreaming... But I could swear I used this same setup to update to the 5.03 firmware.

Solved! For some reason my chipset drivers must have been corrupted somehow. I deleted the Intel chip set driver under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers...rebooted and BOOM reinstall the drivers. The updater tool finally recognized the drive and SM then worked as normal...I could tell it was going to work as it took a little time to complete like it used to, instead of just zipping through it... :cool:

I guess I spoke too soon, its broken again... Also SM did send me an updated version of the program but it doesn't make any difference.

So in recap I have:

Re-flashed the SSD using 5.03 firmware

Tried various Bios firmware

Installed newer version of SM from their suggestion.

Uninstalled Intel IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and reinstalled on reboot

Swapped SATA ports\cables

Now back to square one.

This is optional,

Backup your data and secure erase the drive with Parted Magic, then install a clean version of Windows and SM. Try the optimize thing again and see if it happens again.

It doesn't really sound like a SSD issue, but if you would like the drive replaced, request an RMA to replace it.

This is optional,

Backup your data and secure erase the drive with Parted Magic, then install a clean version of Windows and SM. Try the optimize thing again and see if it happens again.

It doesn't really sound like a SSD issue, but if you would like the drive replaced, request an RMA to replace it.

Yeah I thought about that option as the last resort before an RMA, but I don't want to RMA unless there is a problem with the drive. I did have a blue screen this morning of )xF4, I don't know what that is off hand though. Its weird the corsair updater v1.1 doesn't see the drive although the Bios, IRST, Windows disk manager, SM, and other program that detects drives see it. Until I run SM and or now I tried SSD Tweaker and the same thing happens. No sure as to why at this point.

But I may just have to do as you've suggested just to see if it makes a difference...

Oh yeah the exact error is: Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media selected boot device and press a key.

Ok hopefully the final scoop on this. [soapbox] I was glad it wasn't the drive it's self and that I didn't RMA a good drive just to RMA a drive. It costs us enough for a drive without un-necessary RMA costs...driving up costs for the rest of us.[/soapbox]

Ok so I was right the 1st time but failed to fill in blank to understand till now. The problem for me was the iRST driver of Series/216 Serial ATA installed by the previous mentioned program.

Now if I went to device manager and selected under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers the Intel Series/216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI controller\ properties\update driver\browse my computer\let me pick from a list of device drivers\ and then choose\Standard ACHI 1.0 Serial Controller.

Doing that all works as it should. Please note the iRST drivers conflicted with my MB somehow... So I just uninstalled the iRST after this as it would not work without the driver it installed anyway.

I did install a chipset driver from GB...which was a C216 - 1E02 SATA Controller and all works well. Just seems like Intel's iRST doesn't play well with a non Intel SSD.

I don't think it's directly related to System Magic. I didn't even hear about that software until now. But I had a similar problem. One day I just started to get "No operation system found" on almost every cold boot (a simple reboot without long power off went fine). I had to turn the pewer OFF and ON again on my (Corsair :D:) PSU and let the motherboard to try again. (It was usually successful at the second time).

I updated my motherboard firmware (UEFI is not a BIOS anymore ;):) and I also had to reinstall the OS (Win8 x64 from the same disk again) and the problem just stopped.

I was lazy to search for the source of this problem. But it's seems it was an IRST update I installed and I just updated again when I reinstalled the OS.

-> Conners -> It looks like there was a bad IRST version. I didn't have any problem with older and newer versions. You shouldn't think it's wrong overall.

After a little trial and error with my system It seems like if I use iRTS of 11.0.0.1032 dated 11/29/11 all works fine. But if I use iRTS 11.6.0.1032 dated 9/1/12... I can't use the Corsair FW updater, SM SSD optimize tool nor the SSD tweaker without problems... This is just my experience...

G/L ALL BTW thanks for the reply janos666

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee

What driver version is installed for the controller?

After a little trial and error with my system It seems like if I use iRTS of 11.0.0.1032 dated 11/29/11 all works fine. But if I use iRTS 11.6.0.1032 dated 9/1/12... I can't use the Corsair FW updater, SM SSD optimize tool nor the SSD tweaker without problems... This is just my experience...

What driver version is installed for the controller?

Sorry for the late reply...If your referring to the IDE ATA/ATAPI they are Intel Series 7/C216 SATA ACHI driver version 11.0.0.1032. If your referring to something else let me know...

• 2 weeks later...

Controllers function is determined by the BIOS-Sata-Mode-Setting, no matter what mode you choose Windows to install. Nobody checked that before, so probably noone will reply because he assumes latest reply fixed your issue. You have been told to check controllers SATA-mode, it has to be AHCI..... not IDE, ATA, RAID or whatever else is available, only AHCI...so please reply to that.

BTW: What the vendor of your motherboard may think is "optimal" might not be the case for you plus it is possible that it violates law (i.e.EUP2013 disabled in the EU). There is nothing in loading "optimised defaults" that can not be handtweaked. It is likely that loading optimised defaults re-adjust the BIOS-Sata-Mode-Setting. Changing that is not supported by the OS, so you have to pick the right BIOS-Sata-Mode setting right from the start or you are forced to re-install. It's absolutely OK to load safety defaults and maintain all few pages of the BIOS-Settings by hand in a minute and then it is optimised. The defaults are just presets. Never change a running system.

Whatever, if i not miss a point, you have a motherboard issue in using a SSD with a third party tool that deeply affects the Drive... if you want to know where to find BIOS-Sata-Mode setting please read the fine manual, if the problem only occurs with SM ... refer to them. Corsair does not have to replace a functional drive.

PS: When i review the "How it works" describtion of SM they briefly describe what TRIM already does and thats it!?

LOL you're a funny person... When I said that I installed the OS in AHCI mode, for you, I meant, The Bios setting was AHCI. Not IDE, Not Raid, but AHCI!

To my knowledge you can't install the OS in AHCI any other way... Sooooooo you just incriminated yourself! :laughing:

You can put it to RAID and install WIndows 7 in AHCI... why should that not work... you missed the point.

When you install WIndows in AHCI-mode that just means you installed WIndows in AHCI-mode...(see?) not that your BIOS is set to AHCI too... you are free to advice win-setup to install non-AHCI and you can still install AHCI even wenn BIOS-Sata is set to "IDE/SATA".

Me remembering you to setup AHCI in BIOS was legit, your reply wasnt.

you just connered yourself

You can put it to RAID and install WIndows 7 in AHCI... why should that not work... you missed the point.

When you install WIndows in AHCI-mode that just means you installed WIndows in AHCI-mode...(see?) not that your BIOS is set to AHCI too... you are free to advice win-setup to install non-AHCI and you can still install AHCI even wenn BIOS-Sata is set to "IDE/SATA".

Me remembering you to setup AHCI in BIOS was legit, your reply wasnt.

you just connered yourself

LOL look dude, at this point, what difference does it make? However, I beg to differ and it was to the point. I'm not here to see who can wiz the farthest...your view is a moot point. Good Day sir!

The difference at that point was, that we didn't surely know your BIOS-Sata-Mode was AHCI, so i asked and now it's clear.

And the difference is, when the BIOS-Sata-Mode is not AHCI, it may NOT WORK, simply, no matter if you installed WIn in AHCI-mode.

Exactly you beg for a difference so i was not ashamed of a reply.;)

Well i just tried to make sure your BIOS-Sata-Mode is AHCI, whatever you may think that is a moot point... ITS IMPORTANT.

If you want help, than you would be glad for people noticing important things!

Whatever...

Tried scandisk? IMHO SM screws filesystem..

Any news from the third-party-software, that "maintained" your SSD (next to the FW that does it quite well) in the name of more speed....?

Are you sure, that your Master-Boot-Record is on the SSD?

Archived