Corsair Community

RGB and Linux

thelongdivider

Hi All,

I have recently installed the Corsair CMW64GX4M4C3200C16 Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB kit into my Ryzen based system. I have only (arch) linux installed due to my work habits.

My question is what are my options to control the rgb effect of this RAM? I think the effect is actually very cool, but it is not synced with my motherboard and worst of all it doesn't turn off when my computer is suspended/slept.

I think this behavior should not be the default. I wanted 64G of RAM for rendering and compilation tasks, not for a kid's gaming PC!

Thank you for any help!

thelongdivider

RGB RAM needs directions and timing corrections for complex patterns. That requires active software. That is the iCUE software package, which as you already knew won't run on Linux. That leaves you with the hardware playback options. There are several, although I recommend simple patterns. The presents with complicated timings tend to drift out of sync eventually and you won't be booting up Windows to correct that. You will need to boot up windows to install and set the color scheme initially, but after that it will stay. Another option would be 0,0,0 or off.

There are a few other options that link to some of the motherboard lighting control programs, but I suspect that puts you in the same position and with less control and it still requires the program and service to run. You haven't specified your hardware, so there isn't much to say about MB syncing if possible. It will not be BIOS level no matter what brand.

Without using the software, the only way to cut the lighting to the RAM is to cut power to the RAM -- something you can't do in sleep mode.

RGB RAM needs directions and timing corrections for complex patterns. That requires active software. That is the iCUE software package, which as you already knew won't run on Linux. That leaves you with the hardware playback options. There are several, although I recommend simple patterns. The presents with complicated timings tend to drift out of sync eventually and you won't be booting up Windows to correct that. You will need to boot up windows to install and set the color scheme initially, but after that it will stay. Another option would be 0,0,0 or off.

There are a few other options that link to some of the motherboard lighting control programs, but I suspect that puts you in the same position and with less control and it still requires the program and service to run. You haven't specified your hardware, so there isn't much to say about MB syncing if possible. It will not be BIOS level no matter what brand.

Without using the software, the only way to cut the lighting to the RAM is to cut power to the RAM -- something you can't do in sleep mode.

Thank you for your response. My motherboard is in the title: the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K7 x370 Mobo. I'm running the specified RAM with the 1700. I don't think anything else is relevant.

I would love for this to be even changed to off from bios/uefi. Right now it is RGB soup in my case even whilst suspended.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have experimental support in my generic RGB interface development branch of my OpenAuraSDK project. Most modes are supported. Corsair Vengeance RGB and Pro only.

https://gitlab.org/CalcProgrammer1/OpenAuraSDK

Linux++. I haven't tried it yet, but found it interesting and thought I would update the link, as you changed the project name and that old one isn't working, the new one:

https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

Keep up the great work!