Corsair Community

SP120 Fans Locked on 1400RPM+

SuperSam 020790

Hey Guys,

I have just finished my first ever PC Build, Went for a H100i RGB Platinum 240mm (CPU & Exhaust) and two sets of SP120 RGB Pro's for Intake. When I eventually got iCue installed the H100i's twin fans work perfectly, changing profile and/or speed exactly when I ask them too. Also my Corsair RAM, Commander Pro and RGB Node all are recognised.

This is where things are starting to drive me a bit mad, I have the Commander Pro plugged into a USB header on my MSI Tomahawk MoBo and the Node plugged into that along with the 6 fans in perfect order and 1 Temp Node too.

The 6x SP120mm fans are recognised and the RGB is working perfectly but they are constatly spinning at 1400rpm+ and regardless what I do they WILL NOT change.

I have scanned a million posts on here, Reddit etc but have found no feasable answer, I have been trying to put them on my own Profile with my own Fan Curve taking into account the CoPro Temp Node and not the CPU Temp etc. I have also reinstalled iCue (All 3 versions) trying it again with each and have even gone back to LINK, still with 0% success rate.

Would really appreciate it if anyone has an answer as they are plainly too loud for a system I have put so much effort into and I am currently running it as an open case with the fans unplugged (Keep an eye on Temps obviously)

Attached a photo of my build.

Thanks

Sam

481398012_NewPCBuild.thumb.jpg.7acebccde7c1b5117c69035618a686f1.jpg

SP-PRO fans are 3 pin DC. The auto-detect on the Commander should recognize that on boot, but you also can manually change the setting from auto to "3 pin" (Settings -> Commander Pro).

Aside from that, you probably need to show us your custom curve. Don't use the three presets (Quiet/Balanced/Extreme). Those are based on CPU temp and will keep the fans banging off the max limit all day long. You might get a single fan header stuck, but all 6 suggests something else.

Occasionally users report a single fan stuck at 100% on the Commander (Fan #1), but all 6 is unusual. There is one other user reporting this, but in the opposite state - stuck at minimum and unable to change. It's not clear what the issue is in either case.

Things you can try:

1) Repair install of CUE. Windows Settings -> Apps. Click on Corsair CUE and select modify. This will not remove your settings and profiles.

2) If it does not work, you can try removing the cooling config from the files. First, quit CUE from the task bar drop down. Then navigate to C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/CUE/cooling. Inside is the config file with all fan curves. Cut and paste it to the desktop. Restart CUE.

If you quit CUE, do the fans slow down? They should be following that temp curve and its a native source of data for the Commander. It should work without the software. If it doesn't work in either state, that suggests a physical problem. If it works when CUE is not running, we know it's probably software.

Thank you for the knowledgeable reply, I have tried your steps and unfortunetely still no change.

To answer the other question - no the fans seem to be sitting around 1350rpm from PC start up to turn of no matter what I do or how much/lack of pressure or stress I put it under.

In your experience would this suggest that the fans are faulty? Although I have 6 and what are the chances or them all having the same issue? Or maybe the CoPro being faulty?

To originally test the fans out I plugged 3 at a time into the MoBo fan headers and they run at the same speed as they are now but didn't think anything of it at the time.

It's extraordinarily unlikely all 6 fans have the same defect preventing DC motor control. That is something you can check by plugging one into a MB header. They are 3 pin DC voltage controlled and most motherboard have auto-detect headers, but you may need to go into the BIOS and make sure its set to DC and not PWM. Don't use CPU/OPT for this. Often that header is PWM only.

A hardware defect is possible, but it would be a strange one. Each header is a separate control unit, so failure should happen individually - not en masse. A problem with power delivery to the unit could affect all of them, but then that would be intermittent or low speed and not maximum. The only viable thing I can think of is a failure of the voltage regulator (for DC fans only) and its stuck providing 12v. However, since each header can be set individually for DC/PWM, then each header must have it's own voltage regulator. 6 simultaneous failing seems crazy and not what would happen if the unit took a power spike or something similar.

It still feels like this has to a crazy software glitch, but I am not sure where to go next. The other user's Commander is now responding, prior cause unknown. You should contact Corsair Support as well. It will probably take several days to get an answer, but that is a necessary step for replacement through them or you can go through the vendor. However, I am not ready to tell you to send it back since we have not isolated either hardware or software fault here.

**One thing to be wary of is running additional monitoring programs that poll Corsair devices. Popular examples are HWiNFO and AIDA64. Those programs CUE trip over each other trying to access hardware and possible results include loss of fan control. However, this usually also comes with UI glitches like the fans disappearing, 12v rail = 5v and the 5v rail = 3.3v, 200C and -16C temps, and other crazy, impossible data. Be aware the installed version of HWiNFO can do this even when not running. You must use the portable version and disable monitoring of Corsair devices. I'm not seeing evidence of this in your posts, but covering all bases here.

Edited by c-attack

Good to know but I do not run any of those programs anyway.

Update: I disconnected all fans from the CoPro and out of interest plugged the RGB Hub into USB 2 (Was in 1) on the CoPro - strangley iCue is now not picking the RGB Hub up but is still picking my H100i, RAM & CoPro up yet all the fans are backlight in white still???

Also and more importantly I put 3 of the SP120 fans into Sys_Fan 1,2 & 3 on the MoBo and they are running at a more reasonable 1000rpm and are recognised as DC in the BIOS. Still far from solving my issue but I am more and more starting to think the CoPro could be defective.

It seems like the motherboard is not detecting the Lighting Node Core (?) powering the lighting for the SP-Pro. That would normally show up as a separate device. Unfortunately, this likely has nothing to do with the Commander's functional state. USB detection is really hit or miss on the X570/B450/B550 motherboards. Other users with those boards often need to use an intermediary USB hub to make the devices talk to each other.

This all fans stuck at maximum is something different entirely and not common at all. My final suggestion is to flash the firmware on the Commander. This can be done through the CUE settings panel, check for update, it says you are up to date, then 'force update'. I don't like to do this unnecessarily and you can wait for Support to make the same suggestion. However, at this point the Commander is not doing what it is supposed to do, so a bricked device won't be much different and forces the next step of exchanging it.