Corsair Community

PSU - GPU Connectors going bad

Mark2090

I bought my Corsair TX750 power supply Oct 2012 and worked perfectly since and still working perfectly.

A problem arose last year. The video output to my monitor kept shutting down and the video fan would race at 100%. At the time I thought it was the video card. Then at times, if I bumped my computer tower with my chair, the same thing would happen. I tried to research the issue and found no answer.

I managed to keep it working until May this year, where I purchased a new video card, which I thought the older video card was the cause of the problem. Then after a month using the new video card, the same video issue as described above occurred.

I knew it was not a bad video card since it was new and when the same problem occurs between the old and new video card, it means something else causing it.

I researched this problem again and found someone posted the same issue at Tom's Hardware forum. The cause described there was a bad PSU-GPU connector.

I then tested the PSU-GPU connection and found that caused the video output shutdown issue.

Luckily, the Corsair PSU had 2 GPU power connectors and I only needed one for the new video card (the older video card needed 2). I switched out the broken PSU-GPU connector and the problem is resolved.

My System does not max out the Corsair Tx750, not even close. I bought the unit to have more than enough and it has worked well.

Having described the entire issue, I came here to ask the question as to how can a PSU-GPU connector go bad, where the connector and cable were not being moved or crimped or bent, yet something caused the Corsair PSU-GPU connector to go bad.

Anyone know, can anyone explain this breakdown?

Corroded pins?

I looked at the PSU-GPU connector and there is no visible corrosion, but I cannot compare to your post at the other forum because I do not have an account there to see the JPG images.

Would you insert the JPG of a bad pin here in this forum please? - so I can see what a corroded pin looks like. (or upload the images to an online screen capture site like this: https://prnt.sc/ )

Thanks

Edited by Mark2090

• Corsair Employee
Corroded pins?

I looked at the PSU-GPU connector and there is no visible corrosion, but I cannot compare to your post at the other forum because I do not have an account there to see the JPG images.

Would you insert the JPG of a bad pin here in this forum please? - so I can see what a corroded pin looks like. (or upload the images to an online screen capture site like this: https://prnt.sc/ )

Thanks

Sorry. I didn't realize non-members couldn't view photos.

Corrosion on the pins won't appear like "rust". They'll just be not as shiny.

This is what a good pin looks like:

http://jongerow.com/images/pin/good-pin1.JPG

http://jongerow.com/images/pin/good-pin2.JPG

This is what a corroded pin looks like:

http://jongerow.com/images/pin/bad-pin1.JPG

http://jongerow.com/images/pin/bad-pin2.JPG

Notice the dull finish?

Sorry. I didn't realize non-members couldn't view photos.

Corrosion on the pins won't appear like "rust". They'll just be not as shiny.

Notice the dull finish?

Yep, I noticed.

Problem for me is the wires are encased in a plastic PCI-e connector and I cannot see where or how to unlock the wires from it to inspect their tips.

From what I can find, I need some lock pick tools to decouple the wire pins from the plastic connector (will do that later... :sigh!: )

Plus, on the Corsair PSU I have, it is quite a few years old and the power cables are wired into the PSU case itself, there are no module connections to replace any of the power cables like the new modules provide.

When the time comes, I will have to open the PSU case and see if I can detach the bad cable and see if there is corrosion at that end of the cable.

Thanks for the help. :):

• Corsair Employee
Yep, I noticed.

Problem for me is the wires are encased in a plastic PCI-e connector and I cannot see where or how to unlock the wires from it to inspect their tips.

From what I can find, I need some lock pick tools to decouple the wire pins from the plastic connector (will do that later... :sigh!: )

Plus, on the Corsair PSU I have, it is quite a few years old and the power cables are wired into the PSU case itself, there are no module connections to replace any of the power cables like the new modules provide.

When the time comes, I will have to open the PSU case and see if I can detach the bad cable and see if there is corrosion at that end of the cable.

Thanks for the help. :):

If it's the really old non-modular TX, it's served it's time.

You can't detach the wires internally.

And you do need a pin-removal tool to pop the tab to pull the connector off.

Best case scenario is you replace the pins on the connector side, but is it really worth it?

If it's the really old non-modular TX, it's served it's time.

You can't detach the wires internally.

And you do need a pin-removal tool to pop the tab to pull the connector off.

Best case scenario is you replace the pins on the connector side, but is it really worth it?

According to some YouTube videos, a staple can work if it is the right size, but I will likely not get into that. As mentioned, my PSU provided 2 GPU power cables and my current/new Video card only requires 1 power connector, so I am good so far.

I do plan to build my next computer (hopefully soon), when the finances get a bit better, so I may opt in for a purchase of a new Corsair PSU. I have been happy with Corsair products and the PSU itself I still use has never broken down. Still going strong.

I think it is a good idea to purchase a PSU that provides the wattage above what your system can max out in (ie: get 650 watt PSU if the system max's at 500, etc). This way the PSU works at below max level and will provide a good long life (if it is quality made).

Thanks

Edited by Mark2090