Corsair Community

New Corsair Ram Stock XMP does not work and new ram has an older ver. number?

Ironsidedonald

So i've had Corsair Vengeance LPX memory (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16) in my computer since Dec 2017 and it has been working great with XMP enabled as this is stock overclocked memory. The box says 3200mhz on it and thats what it was set too.

The issue now is I went and bought the exact same kit to go from 16GB to 32GB and my computer was blue screening and apps were crashing constantly.

Once I turned off XMP it was fine. I ran MemTest86 with xmp on and off, With it on I got about 700 errors at one point and another try it crashed the program. With xmp off it works fine no errors and finishes a pass no problem.

I tried different slots, I even exchanged the ram for the same one and I have the same problems again. SO XMP worked on old memory but not new memory.

The only difference I can see between the sticks is the new stuff is VER 4.32 and the 2 year old ram is Ver 5.32. So the old ram has a newer version number than the new stuff? I checked and the packaging has changed since the old one and the serial number is a higher number indicating it is newer stock made more recently.

Sorry for the long rant but This is all the info I have and I am at a loss what to do.

And yes my Bios is up to date.

Thanks for the help.

The version numbers usually indicate the materials came from a different batch or supplier of material. This can be a substantial obstacle to getting them to play well together. Even when the version numbers are the same, there is always an chance two different kits manufactured some time apart are not going to get along.

I would set manual speed and voltage (3200, 1.35v) and then enter the primary timings in the DRAM Timing menu of the Advanced BIOS. You may also need to set IO and SA voltage, but I can't give you a figure for Ryzen. You can start on Auto and see how it goes. If this doesn't boot or kicks back errors, you may need a new plan. Remember there was a pretty firm ceiling on the 2000 series processors with RAM frequency and just because it can run 2x8 at 3200 does not mean it automatically can do 4x8@3200.

I'd say there's an incompatibility between your old and new sticks even if they're running at the same speed with the same timing settings.

Try and set your settings manually as c-attack mentioned above. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest returning the new sticks and buy a new 4x8GB or a 2x16GB kit. That way you can be assured that the sticks will be working together as intended.

The version number does not indicate which kit is newer or older, but what type of IC they are built from. The production date can be determined from the serial numbers instead, starting with JJ KW.

In general different version numbers lower the chance of both kits working together. That is one of the reasons why the official recommendation is to use a single kit of the required capacity.