Corsair Community

Before I install O/S onto my new SSD...

DimSumGuy83

Hello everyone! I just joined Corsair forums and I've run into a question that's been bugging me. Now, I've ordered a Corsair SSD and before I start hopping around for joy and just blatantly install Windows 7 without any knowledge of tips, tweaks, tutorials, etc. I wanted to ask: "What should I start readying before I go and install Windows 7 onto the SSD?"

I apologize if this has been asked before but I really want to double-check EVERYTHING to get the best performance out of my SSD.

P.S. The SSD I ordered is the Corsair Nova 32GB.

I forgot to ask something in my previous post. Where do I install my internet security suite, nvidia driver, chipset driver, etc? I've searched around and didn't find a definite answer. Would all these go to the HDD or onto the SSD? The internet security suite that I have and will be installing is Kaspersky 2010.

• Corsair Employee
Some applications will have to be installed along with the O.S. drives for sure should be installed where the O.S resides and Anti-virus usually has to be installed in the Windows folder, but you would really need to ask the respective makers of their software if it must reside with the O.S. or if it can be installed to another drive.

I was browsing around on the internet hoping to find some more tips on how to keep an SSD healthy and ran across something interesting. Apparently, someone used the cleaner program CCleaner on their SSD and it helped restore the performance. Built in CCleaner is an option called "Wipe Free Space" which, they state, works just like wiper.exe. Would using CCleaner with the Wipe Free Space option actually help or is this some bogus stuff they were just posting up?

P.S. I found the post in a competing brand name's forum.

• Corsair Employee

krazyatom

Please start your own thread!

DimSumGuy83

You are welcome to try anything you like but Diskeeper Professional with Hyperfast will work great with any SSD. any other application may or may not work, sorry but you would have to test it for your self to see if its working or not.

However if you are using Windows 7 there should not be any need.

Since Windows 7 uses the TRIM command, does that mean I won't need applications like Diskeeper Pro? Also, as time goes on (let's say about 9 months to 1 year) would I have to use the Parted Magic method as described in this forum or is TRIM sort of like an alternative to that?

Archived