The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned
IvanPro's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380713
IvanPro Reputation: 10
Default Solved!

I'm resurrecting this thread to let you know of my latest findings.

In the mean time I reinstalled totally Windows XP Pro, all latest drivers, BIOS updates, firmwares and whatnot (no BS clean install only drivers BTW): no joy.
Then swapped the Thermaltake TR2 550W PSU with a Corsair HX620 one: still no joy.

I uninstalled the "AMD Dual Core Optimizer" after doing all of the above: runs 24/7 since (two weeks), no crashes, fast as hell, cool with CnQ, resists to even the most heavy benchmarks (even Furmark and OCCT running at once for a whole afternoon). Awesome

I posted all my odyssey on

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messagev...&enterthread=y

if you want to read about it all (seems like nobody there is even interested into commenting on that, which I find not so good seeing that there are lots of people having crashes there...).

Now, if AMD could build a working driver for their own processor... next time I believe I'm going Intel after this bad experience.

I'm posting this to try and help out anyone having problems. Comments or questions are very well accepted, I'll try my best to help if you need.

Thanks to you all for your support anyway!

(this same reply posted on ASUS forums as well to let everyone know)

Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 380717
RAM GUY Reputation: 10
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this It could very well help other users in the future. Let's just hope they know to try the SEARCH function.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380750
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

wow, thanks for the input, fwiw on this board i tried over 70 times (yes 70, over 2 months) to install xp32 on this board with 2 WD 250s in RAID initially and it crapped out at different places during the install. turned out it didnt like the drives. i used 2x160G WDs instead it xp32 was solid. i then wiped it and installed xp64 and it has been a rock ever since. its my main PC and i only use my 2 quads for F@H if you can believe it!
weird that the AMD DCO was the culprit! my boot.ini i did manually, maybe it would help you?

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

im curious now what my benchmarks would be with and without the variables?

anyway im glad to see you got it sorted out, after my initial 70+ attempts to get this rig cooking i very much understand the frustration you have been through!

thanks for the feedback!! and fwiw the problems i had initially with this thing is what drove me back to intel. (but im still an AMD fanboy at heart;) )

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380753
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
weird that the AMD DCO was the culprit! (but im still an AMD fanboy at heart;) )
You have my sincere sympathies. I am a performance fanboy.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380761

he he, thanks!
my fanboy position was formed solely by the overclocking abilities of the early K series AMD chips while the 233mmx's were harder to crack than a clams **** in a block of ice.

since the advent of the northwood cpu i am slipping away from my old ideals.
i avoided the AMD 3x and quad to join the ranks of happy Intel overclockers.

my views are skewed i admit, its like wanting a ford pinto because you like the mirrors over the corvette's.

gimme time, im getting better glasses!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380763
DerekT Reputation: 10

I went with Hammer as soon as it was released and moved to XP, 64, Dual Core 64 and then to Core 2. I await AMD's release of some performance silicon. They are still pulling the taffy on the 1999 release of Hammer. The architecture has been updated quite a bit, but it's still the same tech.

They've pulled it enough. Time to move to a new tech. Until they do, they badly suck hind tit.

If they come up with something better, I will again purchase from them. Alas, they seem resigned to stick with eight year tech and run on their previous performance. Rather a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
he he, thanks!
my fanboy position was formed solely by the overclocking abilities of the early K series AMD chips while the 233mmx's were harder to crack than a clams **** in a block of ice.

since the advent of the northwood cpu i am slipping away from my old ideals.
i avoided the AMD 3x and quad to join the ranks of happy Intel overclockers.

my views are skewed i admit, its like wanting a ford pinto because you like the mirrors over the corvette's.

gimme time, im getting better glasses!

Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 380779

their purchase of ATI has gotten them nowhere (in my eyes anyway) except further back on the timeline. the 5.4 Billion dollars could have been better spent on developing cutting edge mind blowing architecture but no... buy another company with unreliable driver support instead.....

sorry Ivan to get so off topic in your thread. i hope you enjoyed the discussion though :)

Tags
freeze, m2n-sli deluxe, shutdown, twin2x2048-8500c5d