The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM
lopezmr22's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983566
lopezmr22 Reputation: 10
Question Memory OC Stability - FATAL ERROR: Rounding Was 0.5, Expected Less Than 0.4

New to overclocking memory and looking for some guidance.

Prior to overclocking my 8700k I had my memory set to the XMP profile. After overclocking the CPU I ran Prime95 to verify stability and temps. Temps were fine but after the first test a few of the cores came back with, FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected

First I thought something was maybe wrong with the memory so I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic but didn't uncover any issues. I then thought to revert the XMP profile and go back to the stock settings in the BIOS for the memory. After this I re-ran Prime95 and had zero issues, no errors and temps were stable.

So, it seems the issue is stemming from the memory and specifically the XMP profile settings. What is it that I would need to adjust in these settings in order for Prime95 to not come back with this kind of error?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 983631
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

This is the result of the overclocking and you got a program error rather the more obvious BSOD. Technically it could be the memory, but I would wager it was the CPU and the result was a computational error. Your board should be able to run 3000 MHz all day and night long, so again the CPU frequency and voltage are probably the place to start. I would add 0.02v to your current Vcore and see how things go. If you post some more details we might be able to offer more pointed guidance. A lot of us 8700K owners out there.

Tags
memory, overclocking, prime95