Corsair Community

Is my XD5 faulty?

Scruffer87

Hey guys and gals.

I am trying to work out if my XD5 is faulty, or if i have done something wrong. It is my first custom loop, so i wouldn't be surprised to find if it is the later.

So simply put my XD5 is noisy, but more specifically annoyingly noisy only between 2800 - 4200 RPM. The noise is an internal vibration type noise.

When run below 2800, it is very quiet and when above 4200 it only makes whats best described as an electrical hum.

It is functioning well, and for now i have the RPM static at 4200.

I have tried moving wiring, applying pressure to parts of the res/pump, bracket and fan it is attached, but nothing alleviates the noise.

Does anyone have a similar experience? or have any advice that they can offer me?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Scruffer87

All high speed electric motors are going to make a clear hum at 4000+ revolutions per minute. It’s a small motor approaching it’s max speed. It will be noticeable. Fortunately you should need to ever be at that speed, except for perhaps when filling the system. While a faster pump speed means slightly more trips from block to rad and back in a given unit of time, it also means slightly less time in the radiator channel to release heat. There is a give and take and you just don’t see meaningful gains at the higher pump speeds. It is a poor trade on noise and power. You can probably set your pump to 2500 and leave it. A really large or complex loop might need more speed, but even the absurd CPU+GPU+VRM build I just did with 47,000 90-degree connectors does not show a cooling performance increase going from 2500 to 3500-4000.

The hum is unavoidable, but sometimes you do get strange resonances at specific spots in the RPM band. I have another build we’re it feels like the case will shake off the desk at 2500, but is very quiet +-200 rpm on either side. Sometimes there are quirks, but if things are quit at 2500 — keep it there and do some testing at 3500 to put your mind at ease.

Thanks for your reply. I think you may have mis-understood me slightly. The hum at 4200+ is fine, and completely expected, its the vibration noise between 2800 - 4200 peaking at around 3700, that I am concerned by.

I have however taken your suggestion on pump speed and adjusted the RPM from 4200, down to 2200, with the same fan curve based on liquid temperature. I noticed a 6'c increase in GPU temperature, when tested over long periods of consistent game play, and as a result and overall increase in liquid temperature.

Might it be worth replacing my XD5?

A 6C increase in coolant temperature? The GPU temperature is voltage less conducted heat. Pump speed should not factor directly, aside from coolant temp as the base minimum temperature. That is a fairly significant change and pretty unusual. Sometimes you see that at a very low speed, but not at anything above 2000 rpm.

You’ll have to make a subjective judgment on the pump. Not uncommon to have a strong vibration point. Your’s is pretty wide. You can try further isolation or dampening to see if the case is amplifying the problem or it is the pump alone.

Edited by c-attack
predictive text

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for your reply. I think you may have mis-understood me slightly. The hum at 4200+ is fine, and completely expected, its the vibration noise between 2800 - 4200 peaking at around 3700, that I am concerned by.

I have however taken your suggestion on pump speed and adjusted the RPM from 4200, down to 2200, with the same fan curve based on liquid temperature. I noticed a 6'c increase in GPU temperature, when tested over long periods of consistent game play, and as a result and overall increase in liquid temperature.

Might it be worth replacing my XD5?

Can you share a bit more information on how and where your XD5 unit is mounted?

I would suggest to make a video of the unit while adjusting the RPM in the whole range of the unit.

Then please create a new ticket and our staff will check.

• 3 months later...
  • Corsair Employee

The pump unit is definitely not faulty. Since it occurs only in a certain RPM range it has to be caused by some kind of resonance in the system.

You can recheck if the pump unit is firmly secured to the case. Otherwise, it would be best to keep the RPMs in the range where there are no such noises.

I have the vibration induced noise between 2400-2700rpm. It goes away at 2800rpm. It's the effect of case assembly resonating. It is completely normal. I remember my old Chieftec Dragon having hinge door resonating at some exact pump speeds. I pad to pad the doors because they were opening all the time :)