Corsair Community

H80i Poor Cooling

Teknina

Howdy,

This is my first attempt at liquid cooling. Followed the instructions perfectly, system runs, but it's running much hotter than it did with my Cooler Master Hyper 212. With my Hyper 212, my CPU was running around 40* idle.

With the H80i installed, my system is running around 60-70* idle.

Any ideas?

I followed the directions as well as it stated to make the fans by the "exhaust" pull air into my system (intake).

Everything is working but the temps are a bit high. I did use the default thermal paste but I doubt that would cause that high of a bump in temps. I have attached a photo to this post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:

CPU: i7 970

Mobo: Intel DX58SO

Samsung SSD

GTX 460 GPU

Temps.thumb.png.11871fb8006858a15e8a9150b035ddfb.png

1st make sure the back plate is the correct way around there is a notch for the bolts on the CPU socket lots of people have done it wrong way around me included.

2nd with the system on push the block against the CPU to see if it drops the temps could look ok but might not be sitting level

the caps on that board are kind of close to the CPU socket. the pump may be leaning on them causing interference and an incomplete mount as well.

if you remove the pump to check if the thermal pad is evenly pressed you must clean it all off and use new thermal paste to remount.

we have seen this interference many times before and the remedy is usually mounting the pump rotated 90 degrees if indeed that is the cause.

good luck.

Howdy,

Thanks for the reply. My mobo doesn't have those "bolts" on the back of the CPU where the slots in the mounting bracket would cause an issue. I completely "re-mounted" the pump and saw that the paste is only touching in two corners of the cpu with it completely tightened as far as it will go.

I have attached photos of how I have it setup.

Any ideas?

Here are the links for the images of how it's setup and the back of my machine.

http://s23.postimg.org/uoz6e0j57/photo_2.jpg - Inside

http://s22.postimg.org/eiv2985tt/photo_3.jpg - Back plate

the caps on that board are kind of close to the CPU socket. the pump may be leaning on them causing interference and an incomplete mount as well.

if you remove the pump to check if the thermal pad is evenly pressed you must clean it all off and use new thermal paste to remount.

we have seen this interference many times before and the remedy is usually mounting the pump rotated 90 degrees if indeed that is the cause.

good luck.

Mounting it by simply rotating it 90* on the CPU? I don't notice that the caps are causing the incomplete mount.

It may be that the backplate is not secured properly. On my Asus (P6T deluxe v2) motherboard the back plate was wobbly, even when I had tightened the stand-offs as far as they would go.

My solution was to place spacers on the back plate. I gently removed the plastic spacers fitted around the screw holes, and placed more spacers underneath. Then I pressed the original plastic spacers back into place. That made the back plate sit firmly when the stand-offs were screwed into the motherboard. If you try this, proceed with caution. If you place metal spacers above the original plastic ones I suspect you might shorten the motherboard.

It may be that the backplate is not secured properly. On my Asus (P6T deluxe v2) motherboard the back plate was wobbly, even when I had tightened the stand-offs as far as they would go.

My solution was to place spacers on the back plate. I gently removed the plastic spacers fitted around the screw holes, and placed more spacers underneath. Then I pressed the original plastic spacers back into place. That made the back plate sit firmly when the stand-offs were screwed into the motherboard. If you try this, proceed with caution. If you place metal spacers above the original plastic ones I suspect you might shorten the motherboard.

Dag,

I've verified that the plate is secured behind the mono. It moved but then I switched it around a bit and since hasn't.

I think it's the capacitors getting in the way on the motherboard. I am waiting for some thermal paste to show up and I will try to rotate the cooler 90*. If not, back to the store I go to return it and use my trusty Hyper 212...

good luck.

This fixed it - rotated it 90* with a fresh coat of arctic silver 5 and hum baby!

Was running at 70* idle with 95+ with prime95, now running ~25-27 idle with 40-42 while running prime95.

Archived