Corsair Community

Corsair RAM for my son Xmas Problem

JoeKidd

This is the result of search for Desktop HP Intel P4 2.93 and there is one thing different from my sons e-mail defining his RAM and I do not know if it mattters. Do you? Down below, as I said came off Corsair's search site for model a1110y.

My son wrote he had PC2-3200, NOT 4200, I planned on buying his 512 MB machine (2) 256 cards as per HP's way of expansion to 1 Gig, can I buy him the 4200 instead of the 3200 and get away with it? What is that anyways?

Thanks in advance,

JoeKidd:):

Part # » CMSS1GB-533

Type » DDR2-533 (PC2-4200)

Size » 1GB

Package » 240-pin DIMM

Max Memory » 4.0 GB

Expansion Slots » 4 sockets

CPU Socket » Intel Pentium 4

Details » 533MHz FSB, Intel 915GV Chipset.

Do you happen to know the model of his HP computer? We could then... check if it's compatible and also suggest appropriate upgrade paths.

I say this because the PC3200 memory he may/may not be talking about is DDR1 and the PC4200 memory you list is DDR2. They are in no way compatible with each other so it's important we get this right!

PLUR

CK

Do you happen to know the model of his HP computer? We could then... check if it's compatible and also suggest appropriate upgrade paths.

I say this because the PC3200 memory he may/may not be talking about is DDR1 and the PC4200 memory you list is DDR2. They are in no way compatible with each other so it's important we get this right!

PLUR

CK

He mentioned it was the HP a1110y, and he copied the results from the comaptiblity search in his post.

I knew that... *cough*

This website details how to upgrade the memory: HERE. FYI.

Also, their memory finder lists modules with these specifications as compatible:

DDR2 PC2-4200 • CL=4 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR2-533 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

Matching that and understanding that it's an OEM system, I'd suggest you go with VS1GBKIT533D2 as adding modules to an existing 512MB's is just bad news in a system like this (or any system, for that matter).

The VS1GBKIT533D2 is a 1GB kit of 2 x 512MB modules that are DDR2, PC4200.

Again, this is my best suggestion for the HP Pavillian A1110Y as listed by HP to be DDR2 compatible. I'd double-check the model number with your son again, especially if he's sure he's running DDR1 PC3200 in there as this would seem impossible given the A1110Y's specifications on the HP website.

PLUR

CK

Archived