Corsair Community

Pump Fan Alarm Options?

Milessy

I have just finished my Lian Li O11D XL Hydro X build, with XD5, 3x XR5 360 radiators and 10 QL Fans. I purchased a piratedog tech conversion cable so that the front case led strip can be plugged into the 2nd lighting channel on the commander pro. All is working well, and I am very happy with the build. Now waiting for the new 30 series gpus to come out....

Does anyone know of an option to set an alarm if the XD5 pump fan speed drops below a certain level, to indicate possible problem, either via the icue software or third party plug in/option?

Presently, I set my fan profiles via coolant temp, and I have a BIOS alarm set for a overheating CPU temp (and also use Core Temp in Win 10 set at a slightly lower temp to BIOS) but a flow trigger / notification would be great "extra".

Corsair - is there any likelyhood of incorporating a flow meter / readout on the next gen of the pump?

If the alarm isnt an option, then I guess the icue nexus might be the next best for me, so I can see the pump speed that way...

I did not use an XD5, but i made a little gizmo to be able to have the Commander pro manage pump speed and still be able to have a readout on bios, and hence keep the CPU fan alarm feature.

Used two Y PWM splitters, one just for parts.

If you extract one of the dual wires from one splitter (any except the yellow tach wire), and use it to replace the yellow wire on the other splitter, you can use it to send the speed signal to your motherboard.

Modified splitter goes on the CoPro and your pump PWM cable.

The other end of the splitter plugs to an extension going to your motherboard CPU fan header.

Now you have speed reading signal sent to iCue and BIOS, so you can have the cpu fan alarm as usual, triggering on pump failure without the need for a flow meter.

Just a quick update. Pirate-dog Tech have made a bespoke cable, to sit between the XD5 pump and the Copro, with a spin off tach connection to the Cpu fan header on the mobo, to monitor the pump RPM speed.

I'm hopeful this will work, and alarm via bios, if the pump fails.

The cable is coming from US to UK so I'll report back in a few weeks time when delivered.

Either way, a big thank you to Pirate-dog Tech for the great customer service, and to LeDoyen for the idea/post above.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pump to CoPro / CPU Fan splitter cable arrived today (picture attached) - thanks to pirate dog tech.

The BIOS now picks up the pump speed (RPM shows slightly slower speed than ICue by 10 rpm or so, probably due my wanting a longer cable length than is probably required, or due to read time differences) via the CPU Fan Header, so it works as hoped.

I have tried various software programs (speedfan doesn't register the CPU fan speed, nor does MSI Afterburner) so have settled on a BIOS alarm if CPU Fan fails, and as I have a Gigabyte Mobo, I have set an alert in Smart Fan 5/SIV (Win 10) if Fan RPM drops to 100 RPM.

If anyone knows of software that can shut down on CPU Fan RPM < 100 RPM (or zero) that wouldn't interfere with ICue, it would be good to know.

Pump-CPUFan.jpg.964d9d4794d9c31070b4ba7ca98007dc.jpg

Edited by Milessy