Corsair Community

Old HX650W PSU and latest MBs

omarc

While planning about upgrading my PC's basic hardware (MB+CPU+RAM), I am wondering about my 11 years old Corsair HX650W being or not being compatible with the latest LGA1200 motherboards.

I searched for information but was not able to find any; which is actually understandable, given the age (of the PSU and also... mine).

So I'm trying to ask here.

Thanks in advance for any help. :]

from another similar post :

Just because a PSU "works" doesn't mean it's working as well as it did new.

Old electrolytic capacitors, especially after several thermal cycles, will suffer from a decrease in capacitance and an increase in ESR. This diminishes its ability to properly filter ripple. So while the PSU may be output correct voltages, those voltages may not be as well filtered as they were 10 years ago and could potentially damage components down stream.

basically the voltage ripple will make the components VRM work overtime and potentially fry them or cause instabilities and random crashes. Since you can't measure ripple with a multimeter, the voltages may seem fine, but super noisy.

Also, you'll probably be having more current draw with the new components, so that will accentuate the issue.

Thanks for your answers.

I understand that an "old" device can obviously have worse performance than a brand new one, but this does not mean, I think (and hope), that an old device, just because it is old, can not perform its task properly. Especially when the device is a "first class" one which has not been working full time.

Anyway, apart from such evaluations, my question is strictly related to the unit's technical specifications:

can the HX650W be used with the latest ATX motherboards or is it mandatory to buy a new one?

Hi omarc,

My thinking here is:

1) jonnyguru and LeDoyen both know their stuff and they are both suggesting that you rethink your plan.

2) I am not qualified to speak as any kind of an expert in the area of PSUs - anything I have to offer is pure personal opinion. I always make the PSU the most important part of any of my builds. A bad PSU can kill your entire build. A bad CPU, or GPU or other peripheral is more than likely only just going to kill that device.

I don't *think* there is any electrical reason why you couldn't use your old PSU on a new board, apart from the much greater risk of failure.

Do you back the 1000-1 long shot at the racetrack and just fervently hope that it wins?

So, no, its probably not *mandatory* to buy a new PSU, just strongly recommended :-)

Technically yes it is compatible. All the plugs and pinouts are still the same, so there's no issues with this.

Unfortunately as Jonnyguru stated on another post, the PSU run time has little to do with longevity. electrolytic caps don't like thermal cycles, so, a PSU that ran 24/7 may be in better shape than one that was less used and got switched on and off regularely. ^^'

Hi omarc,

My thinking here is:

1) jonnyguru and LeDoyen both know their stuff and they are both suggesting that you rethink your plan.

You're awfully generous towards my abilities lol

He knows his stuff. I am just a random tinkerer :p