Corsair Community

TX650 Failure? Computer stuttering

Maltitol

Occasionally my computer hangs for a couple of seconds and then recovers. When it 'hangs' everything slows to a crawl. The system doesn't crash but enters a slide-show like state. If I have music playing it stutters and loops. This type of hang occurs most often when playing games, but not always. This leads me to believe it is a heat or load related issue. The fan on the PSU spins, but I don't feel much coming out. Is this a problem or is it load/heat controlled?

However, my case is air cooled very well. All temps read below 50 across the board.

I'm trying to decide if it is the motherboard or the power supply. If it were the power supply would the computer be able to recover the way it does? I have had power issues in the past and the system just blue screened or crashed. I was using a stock 400W PSU for SLI with 2x8800 GTS -- oops.

Basically I want to know what power supply and motherboard failure symptoms are.

Additional info:

Using HwMonitor I determined that the voltage levels are as follows:

Sensor -- Current Reading (Volt line)

Voltage 0 -- 1.25 Volts [0x9C] (CPU VCORE)

Voltage 1 -- 1.50 Volts [0xBC] (VIN1)

Voltage 2 -- 3.26 Volts [0xCC] (AVCC)

Voltage 3 -- 1.63 Volts [0xCC] (DRAM)

Voltage 4 -- 1.19 Volts [0x95] (NB)

Voltage 5 -- 4.93 Volts [0xC0] (+5V)

Voltage 6 -- 12.18 Volts [0xE6] (+12V)

The lowest I've seen on the +12V line was about 12.04v (during hanging)

• Corsair Employee

The issues you mention do not sound PSU related. A failing PSU would either fail to turn on, or if it were able to turn on it may shut down at some point if a voltage were to go out of spec. PSU issues are usually not intermittent, they will be consistent and easy to duplicate.

It could have something to do with the motherboard, but I would rule out some other things first. Make sure to run http://www.memtest.org to make sure the memory is not giving you any errors. If you have two graphics cards, try testing with them one at a time to see if you can isolate a problematic one. Also you may want to see if you can duplicate the same issues when running in safe mode, to see if you can rule out a software/driver problem.

To answer your question, our PSUs are internally controlled by temp/load and are tested to operate at up to 50 degrees Celsius, so the fan will normally spin slowly, until you get up to about a 50% load on the unit.

Thank you for the information. I have already run memtest64 for 6+ hours and received no errors. I'm fairly certain that it isn't the graphics cards because since the issue I've moved it down to one (GTX 470) card. I've updated drivers on the graphics card and have had no luck. While it could be a software/driver related issue I'm more inclined to think it is the mobo.

It has been doing strange things from the start. Things such as not posting devices correctly and dropping the network connection. I think it is because I gave my case a nasty static shock (while unplugged), so bad that it fried my first graphics card.

I'm thinking of moving to a Corei5- 750 build anyway.

• Corsair Employee
In that case it does sound more motherboard related than anything else. If at any point the PSU seems to be a likely cause for the issues we can certainly replace it, but I think you are correct in assuming that the motherboard is a more likely cause.

• 4 months later...
In that case it does sound more motherboard related than anything else. If at any point the PSU seems to be a likely cause for the issues we can certainly replace it, but I think you are correct in assuming that the motherboard is a more likely cause.

Weeks later it turns out my PSU failed. I pulled it out and did the paperclip fan test and got nothing. The system was failing to power on or even supply power to the motherboard (no blue LED). I replaced it with a Corsair 950W and it works fine, but the video card died after 2 power ups. I believe my problem was a combination of the two; or one lead to the other failing. I'd like to RMA my TX650 as it is still under warranty.

• 2 months later...

I recently received an RMA for a TX650. The new PSU failed to turn on initially after installation and shuts down the computer when it does power on. It can last about 1-2 minutes while windows loads, but it has failed to power the system for more then a few minutes. Does this TX650 need to be RMA'ed as well?

Its running in an older "HP Media Center machine", would there be any reason that an older machine would have a problem with this new power supply? Reverting back to the old stock power supply fixed the issues.

Archived