Corsair Community

gametes

Just got a TX850W about two weeks ago.

No buzz at least not noticeable in the beginning ownership then became intermittent, and now it is finally a constant buzz.

This PSU buzz occurs regardless of whether:

(1) the PC is on or off;

(2) the switch in the back of the PSU is turned off (Less buzz but still noticeable) or on;

(3) plugged into a APC Back-UPS XS 1500VA or directly into the wall;

(4) in BIOS, windows safe mode, or normal boot of windows 7;

(5) PC Overclocked or all stock settings;

(5) disabled or enabled CPU power saving settings (EIST, C-states and enhanced halt);

(6) or any of the (reasonable) combinations above.

Only way to eliminate this buzz is to unplug it from the power source (Wall Socket or APC unit).

I do realize that the old wiring in my home and other loads may also contribute to this issue. However on another PC of mine with an almost 8 years old 420 Watt PSU, it also buzzes when connected to the same wall outlet although it is much quieter, you'd really have to put your ears next to the old PSU.

The TX850W buzz is noticeable at one to two feet distance, and becomes louder when the PC is on.

Question:

Should I be worried about potential and/or imminent PSU failure?

FYI, the noise does not bother me as long as it is kept at a reasonable level , remains constant, and unlikely to indicate a failing PSU.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Looks like you have done all you can to trace the cause of the noise and I would have to agree that it sounds like it could be caused by the power source the PSU is pulling from. Higher efficiency PSUs tend to be more sensitive to the power coming from your wall outlet than cheaper PSUs that are less efficient.

You may want to try plugging the system into a different circuit in your home to see if its just a particular circuit that is feeding the PSU "dirty" power. In the past I have seen people resolve the problem by using a battery back up with AVR (Auto Voltage Regulation), but these can be pricey and there is no guarantee that it would resolve the issue. The noise itself would not indicate any functional problem with the PSU itself, or any increased risk of failure. If the noise is not loud enough to be bothersome, then I would let it be.

last night the buzz finally went away, after about a total of 5 hours, then came back for a little bit, then disappeared all the while the PC (Overclocked) was running normal boot of windows 7 with no settings changed, and mostly idling.

I really wonder what could cause interference to the AC lines in my house?

Or maybe its something outside of my home?

Wish i had a O-scope to find out.

I will have to try another wall outlet when the buzzing occurs again.

Finally, based on the information you provided, I will not RMA the unit at this time as it really doesn't bother me very much and unlikely to indicate a failing PSU.

Thanks Ramguy.

fluorescent bulbs, and like in my case halogen lamp dimmer can produce that effect with APFC PSU with high efficiency (and any other PSU - only much more silently). And RAM GUY told me also it should be only cosmetic. Try turning all suspicions electric devices on - listen to PSU, and then same thin everything off - listen to PSU, and you should find out the cause easily (try bulbs first).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived