Corsair Community

AX1600i for 4x2080ti

Kepa

You have 2 cables with one PCIe connector. Cable 1, 2.

You have 6 cables with two PCIe connectors. Cables 3, 4, 5, 6.

PSU Port 1 => Cable 1 => GPU 1, power 1

PSU Port 2 => Cable 3 => GPU 1, power 2

PSU Port 2 => Cable 3 => GPU 2, power 2

PSU Port 3 => Cable 2 => GPU 2, power 1

PSU Port 4 => Cable 4 => GPU 3, power 1

PSU Port 5 => Cable 5 => GPU 3, power 2

PSU Port 5 => Cable 5 => GPU 4, power 2

PSU Port 6 => Cable 6 => GPU 4, power 1

Hello Technobeard

In my case with the Corsair AX1600i it is reversed, the cables I have are, 2 cables with two PCIe connectors and 6 cables with one PCIe connector.

I don't know if that alters something for what you tell me.

Thank you.

• Administrators
Hello Technobeard

In my case with the Corsair AX1600i it is reversed, the cables I have are, 2 cables with two PCIe connectors and 6 cables with one PCIe connector.

I don't know if that alters something for what you tell me.

Thank you.

Nope, logic's still the same. Even if they all had two PCIe connectors it wouldn't change it.

Does it make sense?

0dad7c1351750856.jpg

You use 4 cables with one PCIE, in red, and two cables with 2 PCIE, in yellow.

6 cables total

Yes, it makes sense to me, what I do not know is, if that is really correct in terms of power supply to the 4 GPUs when rendering or calculating to the maximum, in this topic I get lost, I do not know if to install it in one way or otherwise or it would worsen the general functioning, I have not found more information than you give me here, but the truth is that I hear all kinds of opinions, since that is not valid or is not the best, to the opinion that it is not It matters, but I don't know.

Nope, logic's still the same. Even if they all had two PCIe connectors it wouldn't change it.

Basically what you tell me is the same as partner LeDoyen, right?

If you say that it is the correct way without any problem to connect the source to this configuration I will have to do it like this, otherwise I would see myself looking for another source although I think this should work.

Thank you very much.

• Administrators

I'm just reiterating what jonnyguru's saying. He's the PSU expert after all.

If you're at all concerned about multiple connectors on one cable, then just use all 8 PCIe cables and do one cable for each PSU port => GPU port. However, then you only have 2 left for the 4 pin and 8 pin connectors on your motherboard, and nothing left for the PCIe connector that ASRock suggests needs power when you use 4 GPUs on this motherboard (page 27 of the motherboard manual).

You could also try 6 cables for 3 GPUs, a pigtail cable for the 4th GPU, and that would leave you with one port for the motherboard's PCIe connector.

Having said that, the motherboard PCIe connector may not be a requirement.

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/X399%20Taichi.pdf

Page 37 (the end of the 4 GPU installation instruction list) says:

*If possible, please plug the PSU’s power cable to GFX_12V1.

You may want to talk to their support to see what they say.

• Corsair Employee
Looking at the motherboard, don't know why that 6-pin is present when a second EPS12V cable near the CPU makes more sense.

TRX40 boards do that with dual EPS12V but this board seems to be unorthodox.

The 8 and the 4-pin provide more power to the CPU.

The 6 pin provides more power for the PCIe slots. That's why its closer to the PCIe slots.

Some TRX40 boards do have dual 8-pins, but that's even overkill. Maybe they're sending some of that power to the PCIe slots, but I doubt it given their location. Then again, I'm not a motherboard engineer.

The RTX 2080 Ti uses a pair of 8-pin cables. So the pigtail should be fine for the 260W that the reference card uses. So you need 4 pigtail cables to connect it to 4 of the outputs on the AX1600.

Make sure the EPS12V and ATX12V cables are all present so that the motherboard has adequate power for any if its needs.