Corsair Community

Overclock the Q6600 with P5K-Deluxe and Dominaotr 8500 1066 5-15

Could anyone give me some support about what settings I should use with my Q6600 on the P5K-Motherboard?

I'm novice with OC and I'd like to know some fast info on how I can increase the frequency and what/when I have to change voltages.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi if the cpu at 70c that not good get a zalman 9700 fan i over clock my Q6600 to 3.66 and it go to 18c max

18C is lower than ambient, unless you have the computer in a very cool room. You have errors in your temperature readout. You should be around 55 - 60C load.

One of the greatest issues with a stock cooler is the temperature drop delta. With an overclock the problem is not only the load temps, although are important to overall stability. Another problem is a hot idle and a minimal temperature drop delta.

The temperature drop delta is not taken into account when running stress testing or a CPU running synthetically at full bore. With a good cooler, you will not reach as high a thermal when running real system intensive applications.

So basically, the temperature drop delta is the length of time it takes for the temperature of the CPU to drop. For example, in gaming and application use, you do not make use of the CPU 100% of the time. There are points where data is being transferred, CPU use drops in multiple environments, multiplexing needs time to revive a stream, etc... During these times, the processor cores load drops and so does the thermal output of the cores. On a stock cooler, the time between the drops and the loads is marginalized by the coolers inability to release the thermal output and thus the CPU does not benefit nearly as much. With a cooler such as a Thermaltake BigTyphoon, Tuniq Tower and Thermalright Ultra-120 xTreme, you will not have these thermal issues. Thermalright has fixed an issue with their new released edition, and this is one of the best coolers around at the moment. It has a drop delta that is rapid and the CPU will benefit greatly from such a cooler. But even the Arctic Freezer is better than stock and with a 3.0/3.2Ghz overclock, it works decently. For the money you spent on this system, I don't think it is a good idea to cheap out and use the stock cooler when overclocking. Be good to your CPU.

The BigTyphoon also seems to be a good cooler, i'll probably go for the Thermalright as DerekT suggested. What about the thermal paste, the one provided with the Thermalright is one of the best or I should buy another one better...

How do you suggest to apply the thermal paste, I mean that I should apply it verticalli and how much?

The BigTyphoon also seems to be a good cooler, i'll probably go for the Thermalright as DerekT suggested. What about the thermal paste, the one provided with the Thermalright is one of the best or I should buy another one better...

How do you suggest to apply the thermal paste, I mean that I should apply it verticalli and how much?

I use Arctic Silver MX for my machines, and keep the provided tube for other use. :eek:

Quad Core (Intel Core 2 Quad) then just middle side of the cores.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

160035459_QuadCoreThermalPasteApplication.JPG.16496c892ceeed7c0ecd1d5dae099620.JPG

spread it over the heat spreader. I put a little little extra thick in the middle for quad core, it makes the cores little more even temp. The cover of cpu heat spreader some are cupped shaped a little and the low spot is often right where the core is. The actual cpu is tiny compaired to the heat spreader, its in the center.

• 5 weeks later...

Installed the cooler, temps at 33° in Idle and 54 after 1hr of OCCT ;):. Thanks for the heatsink tip, the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme works like a dream.

So...could you give me some tips for overclocking?

Thanks

Installed the cooler, temps at 33° in Idle and 54 after 1hr of OCCT ;):. Thanks for the heatsink tip, the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme works like a dream. So, could you give me some tips for overclocking?

Sure.

Download CPU-z from

Download Core Temp

Post screenshots of your CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Post a screeshot of CoreTemp as well.

Here's the screen.

PS: I had to mod my Stacker STC-101 to put the fan (on the side) outside of the case because there wasn't enough space for the Thermalright :D: (I will fit into a normal case without side fan)... Now it looks also better!

temps-cpuz.thumb.jpg.f1cce8e49ada0e8aad49f94754897c99.jpg

Set to these values for 3.0Ghz. Download OCCT Here URL="http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe"] Here[/url][/b][/i][/indent]

AI Overclocking: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: 9

FSB Frequency: 333

PCI-E Frequency: 100

DRAM Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Frequency: 1066

FSB Strap to Northbridge: 333

DRAM Timing Control: Manual

CAS# Latency: 5

RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15

TWR: Auto

TRFC: Auto

TWTR: Auto

TRRD: Auto

TRTP: Auto

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

Transaction Booster: Auto

Clock Over-Charging Mode: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Enabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum:Enabled

CPU Voltage: Auto

CPU Voltage Reference: Auto

CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

DRAM Voltage: 2.1v

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

North Bridge Voltage: 1.4

North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto

South Bridge Voltage: Auto

Advance CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Control: 9

C1E Suppport: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Vanderpool Technology: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

PECI: Disabled

Run OCCT and enter the settings button, set the monitoring to "Built In" and choose 70C as the max CPU temp. Let OCCT Run for the one hour. Please post a screenshot of Core Temp when OCCT has run for ~20 minutes.

It doesn't boot with FSB higher than 300MHz. It doesn't make any sound but it seems like the fans go to their maximum speed. I had exactly the same situation when I got my PC, however everything went ok when i moved the RAM to the black slots.

Edit: I should increase the CPU voltage?

I didn't found Max CPUID and PECI.

Edit: The CPU frequency also goes to 1800 and returns to 2700 when I'm using the PC and I know that the function should be disabled isn't it?

At 2,7 GHz OCCt gave me an error code 1.

Found the problem: With the P5K latest Bios for disable the Speedstep you have to set the CPU Ratio manually and the C!E Support Disabled!

I'm at 310 FSBx9 with 1,3V for core, 1,4 for NB and 2,1 for RAM.

Have to test now.

Edit: Not stable, need tips for voltages.

Found a stable config with vcore 1,33. If I increase FSB to 305 with same vcore or a step higher i don't pass Prime, and so on...I can boot also at 2,8 but I don't pass Prime and I didn't found a way to get 3.0GHz.

Now in the Bios I set the FSB to 300, multi at 9, ram at 1001MHz, vcore at 1,33 and the rest at default with spread disabled.

stable.thumb.jpg.ef362bae42d76db3fe4501db4c0e5956.jpg

So, if your load temps are fine, then you can increase your CPU voltage and continue. I had expected you to be able to make 333Mhz with 1.35v. Should be somewhere around stock. You should have no issues with 333Mhz and setting your strapping to 333 with the DRAM at 1066. Don't be afraid to raise the Core voltage a bit :)

I've also tried with 1,38v at 1066mhz and 333 with no system post. It loads fine ad 2,8GHz but it is not stable (also if I try with vcore 1,4).... I also tried to increase the NB/SB, PLL voltage, but it's the same... I don't know where's the mistake.

No, Unfortunatelly I couldn't and I don't have other good DDR2 memory.

I think that my memory simply sucks, I've paid 240 euros for the memory and my system isn't stable even at 3Ghz....

That makes absolutely no sense. It's stable in Memtest. Here's the proof. Drop your memory down to 800Mhz. Run Memtest. If it is stable, then test your overclock. Remember that the B3 is NOT a good overclocking Quad Core. At any rate, if the DRAM tests out fine, and the CPU still will not clock up, then the issue is the CPU since the DRAM is isolated out of the issue. Prime tests the CPU, even the Prime Memory test is mostly a CPU test. Memtest tests the complete stability of the DRAM. If it passes Memtest, then the DRAM is not the issue.

Archived