Corsair Community

hydrocool shut down?

jellyfish

I just picked up my Hydrocool200 Ex. Very happy with the cooling ability! I'm running a 3.0e, and with a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu it was running a little warm for me to sleep well at night. Just one question, Is it better for the hydrocool unit to be turned off when not in use (overnight) or is it better to leave it running? Thanks Corsair/Delphi great little unit! :biggrin:

Your Hydrocool unit will last longer if you shut your computer down when not using it. If you leave your computer running 24/7, your water pump in the Hydrocool will wear out faster. The water pump used in the Hydrocool had a MTBF rating of about 10,000 hours. If you leave the unit running 24/7, this would translate into about 15 months of use before the pump would fail/wear out on average. Plus personally, I have a thing about leaving my computer on with water running through it while i'm not there. Hope this helps you. :cool:

[quote name='JonKrmr']Your Hydrocool unit will last longer if you shut your computer down when not using it. If you leave your computer running 24/7, your water pump in the Hydrocool will wear out faster. The water pump used in the Hydrocool had a MTBF rating of about 10,000 hours. If you leave the unit running 24/7, this would translate into about 15 months of use before the pump would fail/wear out on average. Plus personally, I have a thing about leaving my computer on with water running through it while i'm not there. Hope this helps you. :cool:[/QUOTE] JonKrmr, The HC Bosch pump is rated well beyond 50,000 for continuous hours of operation. The information posted on other websites is incorrect since that data was spread from an unreliable source. Besides, the pump usually works under extreme harsh conditions, under the hood of an expensive vehicle. Stev

Stev, If the pump is rated for over 50,000 hours of continuous operation, it is no longer a concern. Is there any other part of the HC unit that would benefit from being shut down at night, or is it recommended to let it run contiuously? Thanks in advance. Jellyfish.

The pump has a MTBF of at least 50K hours in an auto at 200+ degrees F (we have not worn one out yet). The fan has a MTBF at least that plus some due to the dual ball bearing design. As Stev mentioned about the lower temps, I'd guess the average life will be 10+ years of continuous duty, easily. I trust by then, our cpus will then be a whole " 'nother animal" and cooling needs will be vastly different. KK

Archived