Corsair Community

Impact of fan speed at idle?

elric75

Hi,

i've noticed that my temps were spiking a lot on desktop, browsing and idle. I know some process might be used and all but going from 37c to 58 is kinda weird

for instance that is over 15 minutes

https://www.casimages.com/i/200508061409947018.jpg.html

My load temps are all good, below 70c on most demanding games and 79c on occt (delidded cpu though)

I have a 8086k @ 5ghz / Aio Corsair H150i with LL fans.

My fan profile on the Aio was like that : https://www.casimages.com/i/200508061502215987.png.html

+ 2x200 of the case in front and 1x140LL on the back which was running around 700rpm on low temp

I decided to try a more agressive fan profile around 1200rpm mini and 900 on the 140.Extreme mode on the pump

The results are quite good : https://www.casimages.com/i/200508061613544463.png.html

I was used to get a pc with complete silence but how it is with yours? Are those spikes normal ? Do you have a more loud rig to have good idle temps?Or the issue might be from elsewhere ?ilence but how it is with yours? Are those spikes normal ? Do you have a more loud rig to have good idle temps?

Or the issue might be from elsewhere ? I know LL fans are not the best one for radiator for instance

thanks

Fan speed will have minimal impact at idle. If you blast them, the most you can hope to reduce your coolant and CPU temp is by 1-2C depending on radiator density.

Your CPU temp is all over the place because the voltage is doing the same. This is how the newer CPUs are programmed to behave. They wanted to make them snappy and the voltage kind of pulses waiting to do whatever task is available. These days, there is always some minor background task to throw 1-2 cores at. You can't prevent this except by raising C-States to the highest levels and utilizing some of the other BIOS and OS level power saving features. Those have some strong drawbacks and can't be flipped off when you want to play or work. They will also keep your activity sedated when under certain load conditions or drop cores in and out leading to stutter or visible hitches. Intel tries to make up for all of this by using their "P-states" to cut power draw at the CPU below the OS and monitoring level. I am not sure that is an even trade off, but the performance is certainly better than prior generations.

Well it does feel the temps are lower on a constant base with fans higher speed but I also put the pump on extreme maybe that helps to prevent spikes?

I do have all c state enabled too. I've set up an Oc on my 8086k this week at 5ghz with adaptive vcore with those settings on an aorus master mB. Maybe you'll could find out if something feels wrong?

ADAPTIVE PROFILE

ADAPTIVE PROFILE 5GHZ

ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS

CPU Base clock 100

CPU upgrade : auto

Enhanced multi core performance disabled

CPUclock ratio 50

FCLK frequency for early power on : 1Ghz

XMP : profile 1

Vt-d disabled

Turbo boost disabled

IA AC/DC at 1

Advanced cpu core settings

AVX offset : 0

Uncore ratio : 45

Intel turbo boost technology : off

Cores : 50 all cores

C state : enabled

SpeedShift : enabled

ADVANCED VOLTAGE SETTINGS

Advanced power settings

CPU internal AC/ DC Load Lines : auto

CPU VCORELoadline calibration turbo

CPU core voltage control

Manual

CPU vcore : auto (1.380 at load)/ offset -0.05

VCCIO 1.10

CPU SA : 1.10

CPU current limit 255

Power maxed out

Cpu vcore PWM switch rate : 300

You can't prevent the spikes. That is the voltage coming on at the pins and the heat must pass through the CPU. You can't preemptively move the heat around the CPU. When someone figures out how to do that, it will be a quantum leap forward. For now, the only way to stop it, is to stop the voltage. I understand how you feel and I had a similar period of questioning when I first moved from X99 CPUs to 8700K. It was so jumpy. I had to stop using AIDA because I couldn't stand to watch the core frequency and voltage pinging all over.

If this is an Asus board, I have two suggestions for your settings.

1) Go into the ADV Power Management and the IA AC/DC setting. Set this to "0.01" for both lines. That should help minimize some of the swing when using adaptive voltage.

2) 1.38v is probably higher than you need for 5.0. You can specify an adaptive voltage limit. My delidded 8700K is 1.275 for 5.0, 1.31 for 5.1, and 1.335 for 5.2. I think the place to start is with 5.0@1.30.

Change the voltage to adaptive and set the "additional turbo mode voltage" to 1.30. It will clock down at lower frequencies and then go to 1.30 when ever the turbo mode function is active (when you are higher than 4.4 GHz).

Both of those should round off the spikes a bit. If necessary, LLC can be tweaked as well, but the other two are the place to start.

I have an aorus board not asus

I did some occt and I had lots of errors below 1.325, or blue screen.

I am not at 1.38 I have a offset it never goes above 1.32

Llc is on high which is 5 for asus but I'm not even sure it's 100% stable because I had it on turbo when I did my stress tests.

I'm quite sure my chip is far from golden...

But so those temps are fine even if they go on average around 40 (that's if I lower the fans)

I've set up Ia dc as well