Corsair Community

CSSD-F240GB3A-BK Firmware Update via Linux

ordos

It is my intention to use hparm's firmware download to update the firmware of Force 3 240GB SSDs (CSSD-F240GB3A-BK). However, I do not know the signature of the SSD (or know of way to figure out what it is without using Windows) to know which .vic file to use. If someone could shed some light as to which .vic file to use or a means to find the signature I would appreciate it. Please keep in mind that I DO NOT have access to a windows machine and refuse to use a windows livecd.

I have several hundred drives that I may need to update firmware for. They are all CSSD-F240GB3A-BK purchased at the same time. Is it possible for them to have different signatures? In general what is the drive signature?

Thanks

For those interested in trying to find their drives signature via linux, the following command may help you...

sudo lshw | less

It shows the signature for my machines onboard disk drive but not any of the SSDs that I have attached to it. I also tried on another machine that has 2 SSDs in RAID 1 but no signatures are displayed...

ordos, how did you make out with your upgrade? If you're still trying to find the signature of your drive, look into the Linux updater mentioned in the thread Yellowbeard linked. It's not permitted to have a public link here to the tool, so if you have trouble finding it just PM me.

Since you have so many drives to update I expect you'd prefer a CLI method. The usual methods of pulling info from drives seems to miss this bit of information as you've already seen. I'd be interested to know how the updater tool probes for that information, but I doubt SandForce would make it much of a priority to divulge such information.

I would like to know whether the hdparm update method works on these drives, so please report back if/when you try it.

Archived